The 2017 Receiving Corp, who's it going to be...?

vike daddy

Keeping 5 to start the season is certainly an option...and would likely be the only circumstance where I believe it'd be possible that they may not keep Wright (as they could keep both Coley and Adams over Wright), but if they choose to keep 6, there's no doubt in my mind that Wright would be one of those 6.  

1 minute ago, Kparty15 said:

I would be all for trying to trade Jarius Wright and a late pick for a decent starter at RT right about now.

I wouldn't mind that, but we (unfortunately) have a lot invested in Mike Remmers right now. our potential out is in 2019, which will likely be the case, and I doubt Wright/late round pick have that much value. 

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/mike-remmers-10110/

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

11 catchers for 67 yards and a pricey contract? You're not getting anything for that, let alone a starting offensive lineman. 

I believe Wright would actually be a starter in the slot for several teams.  While I don't think you'd get a starting offensive lineman, I do believe you could get at least a 6th or 7th rd pick.  

14 minutes ago, disaacs said:

I believe Wright would actually be a starter in the slot for several teams.  While I don't think you'd get a starting offensive lineman, I do believe you could get at least a 6th or 7th rd pick.  

If teams knew that the Vikings were trying to unload Wright for a 7th round pick, they'd also know that the team is likely to move on from him. Meaning, they would just wait for him to be released. Just like what happened with John Sullivan last year. 

19 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I wouldn't mind that, but we (unfortunately) have a lot invested in Mike Remmers right now. our potential out is in 2019, which will likely be the case, and I doubt Wright/late round pick have that much value. 

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/mike-remmers-10110/

Don't forget that Spielman, after Remmers was signed, mentioned his ability to play guard. 

"Mike did a great job down in Charlotte with the Carolina Panthers," Spielman sad. "They put him out at right (tackle and) he got forced over to the left a little bit last year ... we see him more over on the right side and even potentially as a guard as well."

Theres always the option of him kicking inside. 

5 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

If teams knew that the Vikings were trying to unload Wright for a 7th round pick, they'd also know that the team is likely to move on from him. Meaning, they would just wait for him to be released. Just like what happened with John Sullivan last year. 

That's often not the case. Depending upon the competition for that player, it may be worth it for a team to throw in a future 7th rd pick.

as for Wrights trade value, I'm guessing a 7th round pick in 2019. I mean what argument is there for him to be valued somewhat highly? He's a very limited WR with little success to speak of. 

Unless Wright shows something more in the next few weeks or there is an injury to a WR in front of him I do not think that he'll make the week one roster. The Vikings are paying Wright way too much money to be anywhere below a number 3 WR on the team. Even as a number 3 they are paying him as if he is a better than average WR3. He isn't.

It would be great if the team was able to trade Wright for anything but I doubt the team could get much for him right now. It doesn't hurt to try as you never know when a team will pony up a 7th if they fear the player would go to another team before them. The Vikings even got a pick for Troy Williamson; Wright is a far better WR than Williamson.

I could see the team bringing Wright back on a reduced contract after week one if they are not sold on the young guys. Signing him after week one would mean that they don't have to pay his full salary if they decide to cut him later in the year -- possibly when Floyd comes back from four weeks of suspension and possibly a week on the exempt list.

I think they'll keep Wright, at least until Floyd returns.  THEN, they can decide.  But, there might also be an injury by then.  Better to keep Wright as insurance.  If treadwell plays really well and Coley and/or Adams plays well, Wright can be dropped next season.

7 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

If Wright is on the opening day roster his full contract becomes guaranteed. So, there would be no point in releasing him four weeks down the road when Floyd returns. 

I wouldn't go as far as saying there would be no point of releasing him then, but I it is a good point that they'll be on the hook for his full salary. The point of releasing him after Floyd comes back would be to free up a roster spot.  That said, I wouldn't pay Wright that kind of money for 4 games. If he would be the cut upon Floyd's return he should be cut before week one.

I just don't know how they can start the season with WR depth consisting of:

• Floyd, suspended games 1-4 and at risk for missing the year if he reoffends
  • Treadwell, hurt again, with one career catch
  • Adams, 5th round rookie who looks mostly like a special teams contributor this year
  • Coley, 7th round rookie who at least has looked in camp but was still drafted in the 7th round. 

Anything happens to Floyd ("kombucha"), plus one game missed for either Diggs (played 13 games last year) or Thielen, they'd be looking at a 3 WR set with Treadwell and a rookie. 

I'm not a big fan of Wright or his contract but he's a legitimate NFL player in a limited role (slot WR3/WR4). Keeping him on the team for a season that we're hoping will last 17+ games seems like a better idea than cutting him and potentially short circuiting the offense if the rookies / Treadwell aren't able to contribute.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived