The 2017 Receiving Corp, who's it going to be...?

vike daddy

3 minutes ago, perrynoid said:

Come on, guys, let's be realistic here.  He was thrust into the starting role unexpectedly due to Bradford's injury and spent very little time with the first stringers.  Thus, one would not reasonably expect him either to have much of a command of the playbook, or have much chemistry with his wide receivers.  Also, if you have two of the (arguably) top 15 wide receivers in the entire League, of course you are going to focus on getting the ball to them.  He is not grandpa, who could pick up a playbook and digest it in minimal time.

He wasn't signed off the street a week or two before playing. Not knowing the playbook should not be a valid excuse, unless it is for every player ever signed in the offseason as a free agent.

11 minutes ago, Klomp said:

He wasn't signed off the street a week or two before playing. Not knowing the playbook should not be a valid excuse, unless it is for every player ever signed in the offseason as a free agent.

It's one thing to "know the playbook" and quite another to physically run the plays with the players who will likely be starting, right?  I mean, isn't that part of what they call "chemistry" between players?  To fully understand the other 10 player's idiosyncrasies/habits well enough to effectively run the offense?  It is in this sense, I think the QB position differs from the others.  Having said that, I think you make a good point when you express frustration with his focusing on his first/second reads to the near exclusion of the others.

Archived