The 2017 Receiving Corp, who's it going to be...?

vike daddy

1 minute ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

My assumption would be that they fee comfortable enough with Ham filling the RB3 role, and possibly using someone like Blake Bell or David Morgan in the H-back or fullback role if really needed.

I agree. They must feel good enough about Ham as RB3. But I'm not sure if that will work long term, MN may have to trade for a RB.

32 minutes ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

My assumption would be that they fee comfortable enough with Ham filling the RB3 role, and possibly using someone like Blake Bell or David Morgan in the H-back or fullback role if really needed.

This is my guess too.

Here are the snap counts for the FB/TE positions in the first four weeks:

vs. NO: Rudolph 55/65, Morgan 18/65, Ham 9/65, Bell 2/65
at PIT: Rudolph 62/65, Morgan 7/65, Ham 5/65, Bell 2/65
vs. TB: Rudolph 68/74, Morgan 30/74, Ham 22/74, Bell 10/74
vs. DET: Rudolph 55/56, Morgan 18/56, Bell 12/56, Ham 7/56

Bell seems to be slowly gaining the trust of the coaches. I know it's still not a huge cut of snaps, but neither is what Ham was getting at FB.

1 hour ago, Virginia Viking said:

Yeah...I don't really understand this move. 

I think that Ridley was going to be inactive for the game since he is still learning the plays. Since he was just on the street the team sees little risk in putting him back on the street for a day. The Vikings will sign Ridley back to the team and make the longer term move at that point. This gives them one more game to see how injuries/other things effect their decision.

There is a chance that Ridley looked poor enough in the week of practice that they are parting with him longer term. In that case, I believe they'll sign another RB soon and make the actual longer term move to clear space for Floyd at that point.

IMO, temp cutting Ridley makes a lot of sense. To pull this off it needs to be a vet that doesn't go through waivers that you cut prior to a game and sign back later. It needs to be a guy with a low risk of some other team swooping in and making an offer to. A guy that has been on the street all year fits the bill. Cutting a WR would have been very risky given the Giants current needs at that position.

The decision has been deferred for a game and now the question is who with the team cut to make room for a RB instead of who will the team cut to make room for Floyd. A lot can happen during an NFL game and the question may answer itself. That is how I understand the move and (Spielman will be happy to know) I approve.

I don't think Ridley adds anything to the team anyways.

If we need a #3 RB just sign a Practice Squad back to the roster instead of a fumble prone, possibly worn down (he tore his ACL and MCL back with Patriots. Doesn't seem to have a lot of interest in him at 28 years old) vet.

On 10/5/2017 at 12:32 PM, SemperFeist said:

Treadwell didn’t do enough to fight for the ball. Yes, there was DPI, but he’s either got to fight through it or sell it better. 

Yup, being grabbed/held down doesn't mean you can't still catch the ball

XCMZSJ.gif

23 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I don't think Ridley adds anything to the team anyways.

If we need a #3 RB just sign a Practice Squad back to the roster instead of a fumble prone, possibly worn down (he tore his ACL and MCL back with Patriots. Doesn't seem to have a lot of interest in him at 28 years old) vet.

It's probably more beneficial to keep the practice squad RB on the practice squad for Service Time reason, as it now takes 6 games for it to qualify as a full practice squad season...as well as the effect on his salary (if they bring him up, 3 weeks of the NFL minimum salary are guaranteed).  I'm not sure how it works necessarily for Ridley as he was not on the roster for even 1 game, but there was no guaranteed salary for him, so he may have only gotten paid for the 4 days he was actually on the roster, which if my math is correct, is actually going to be less than what they would have paid Hill if they had promoted him now (about $29K a week for Hill, about $27K for 4 days of Ridley)  

Not to detract too much from the topic of WR’s, but I would actually consider trying to pull Jhurell Pressley off of Jacksonville’s PS. He was one of our guys recently, and he showed at least a little spark. He also showed to be decent at returning kicks (since he did return one for 106 yards for us I believe?). Would possibly fill multiple backup rolls, or could even become a starter as a returner. And because of that return capability, it would make Rodney Adams more expendable.

3 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Does anyone really expect Floyd to be playing for the Vikings in 2018. 

I think the chances are extremely low. 

I would like to see him back healthy. But I don't think he ever will be healthy enough to play football again

I'm sorry I was thinking of Sharrif not Michael lol

10 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I think so. I don't think they would've stuck their necks out for him as much as they did if they didn't hope for it to be a longterm thing.

10 hours ago, Purplexing said:

Now, the real reason I came here.... after the NYG lost 4 WRs to injury, at least one for the season, does Spielman make a call to the Giants GM about a trade of a WR?  If so, who?

Maybe Treadwell's hometown team wants him?

5 minutes ago, Klomp said:

I think so. I don't think they would've stuck their necks out for him as much as they did if they didn't hope for it to be a longterm thing.

Maybe so, especially with them sticking it out through his suspension. However, I think how good Diggs and Theilen have looked this year has been more of a pleasant surprise than an expectation, and the team might be more content to roll with those two as their main guys and have other role players who aren’t as high profile. Floyd might command too much money to fit into that less “high profile” role, especially if he looks good this year. I. The end, it should all be based on his performance.

21 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

As of now, yes but if he balls out as the #3 (winning the job over Treadwell) maybe we give him a new contract.

Of course, Diggs needs to get paid too.

2 hours ago, Klomp said:

Yup, being grabbed/held down doesn't mean you can't still catch the ball

XCMZSJ.gif

This is a poor example IMO. The ball lands right on him. That ball wasn't going to land on Treadwell and Slay literally lept off of his shoulder. He is just being pulled down in this one.

6 minutes ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

Maybe so, especially with them sticking it out through his suspension. However, I think how good Diggs and Theilen have looked this year has been more of a pleasant surprise than an expectation, and the team might be more content to roll with those two as their main guys and have other role players who aren’t as high profile.

I would disagree. Diggs was 5th in receiving at this point last year 25-372-1. Thielen was a bit of a late bloomer, but still put up big numbers by the end of last year. Both guys were just shy of 1,000 yards.

Archived