Question about brees

FalconFan13

So i read somewhere that Drew is a FA and yet he is still owed a 18 mil cap hit?   Im trying to figure out how that is possible or if it's even real.  Can a fan of the team tell me if that is correct or not and if he resigns will his new money get added on top of that 18 mil to make a much bigger cap hit?

2 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

I'm not the cap expert, but I think he gets a bonus or something if we don't re-sign him.  

Thanks for the reply so far i know it's weird from a Falcon fan asking this and i hope yall don't take it as me trolling but i think most by now know im a mock draft person so im just trying to get info as far as FA goes and how much money ppl might have for when i make my mock.  I posted it in general to hoping for a mock person to help me out with this.

Just now, FalconFan13 said:

Thanks for the reply so far i know it's weird from a Falcon fan asking this and i hope yall don't take it as me trolling but i think most by now know im a mock draft person so im just trying to get info as far as FA goes and how much money ppl might have for when i make my mock.  I posted it in general to hoping for a mock person to help me out with this.

I assume that if we re-sign him, it will be for more than the bonus is worth, and it wouldn't be added on top of the bonus.  But like I said, I don't delve much into the cap doings, so someone else could tell you a lot more.

7 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

I assume that if we re-sign him, it will be for more than the bonus is worth, and it wouldn't be added on top of the bonus.  But like I said, I don't delve much into the cap doings, so someone else could tell you a lot more.

Ok i just did some more reading up on this and it is not a bonus.  What happened is when they redid his contract last year to free up capspace it made the last few years voided leaving the saints with a 18 mil deadcap hit.   So thats hitting no matter what even with a new contract the new contract can be worked that into so if he does say 2 yrs 40 mil at 20 a year yall could add that 18 mil into it and make it 2 yrs 58 mil and then try to push the bulk of it into next years to keep pushing the cap hit back.  Loomis is known for doing this but i don't know if i would keep playing with fire.  But as long as brees can still play at a high level you have to keep trying to win with him and keep pushing it back i guess?   Still gonna try to get a better cap expert to make sure this is correct though from general forums.

1 minute ago, FalconFan13 said:

Ok i just did some more reading up on this and it is not a bonus.  What happened is when they redid his contract last year to free up capspace it made the last few years voided leaving the saints with a 18 mil deadcap hit.   So thats hitting no matter what even with a new contract the new contract can be worked that into so if he does say 2 yrs 40 mil at 20 a year yall could add that 18 mil into it and make it 2 yrs 58 mil and then try to push the bulk of it into next years to keep pushing the cap hit back.  Loomis is known for doing this but i don't know if i would keep playing with fire.  But as long as brees can still play at a high level you have to keep trying to win with him and keep pushing it back i guess?   Still gonna try to get a better cap expert to make sure this is correct though from general forums.

That sounds right.  We will re-sign Brees if Brees wants to play, simple as that. The money is what it is, and we should be able to eat it if we draft a successor when Brees retires.

1 hour ago, JMG5 said:

If he signs a new deal I think they will probably push the big cap hit back again. That way when he eventually retires we just eat it all in one year. Hopefully by then we have a replacement.

Pretty much gonna have to do that and just eat like 80% of the cap hit in the 1st year you draft a rookie QB to replace him is only thing i can think of.  Still though it's gonna put the rookie QB behind big time having to eat that much cap will limit the team you can put around that rookie to help him.

3 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

Pretty much gonna have to do that and just eat like 80% of the cap hit in the 1st year you draft a rookie QB to replace him is only thing i can think of.  Still though it's gonna put the rookie QB behind big time having to eat that much cap will limit the team you can put around that rookie to help him.

The rest of the team outside of Brees is rather young so eating a big hit in a rookie QBs 1st year isn't a big deal as long as it's not extended past that.

It’s the same thing we did w/ Fairleys first contract. Mickey does it a lot actually when we need space cleared up NOW. You sacrifice future cap space, but if you plan on re-signing then anyways it’s less of an issue

58 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

It’s the same thing we did w/ Fairleys first contract. Mickey does it a lot actually when we need space cleared up NOW. You sacrifice future cap space, but if you plan on re-signing then anyways it’s less of an issue

Maybe if we are lucky Brees would be willing to sign a 3 yr/60 mil contract, including the dead money, which would come out to $14 mil/yr new money + 6/yr old money.

3 hours ago, Raves said:

Maybe if we are lucky Brees would be willing to sign a 3 yr/60 mil contract, including the dead money, which would come out to $14 mil/yr new money + 6/yr old money.

That would be the best outcome that could probably happen i would say.  Not gonna lie though in general Brees has always gone after his money if im not mistaken and sadly so has matt ryan.  Wish they would take the tom brady approach 1 time for us for like 10 to 15 mil and let us put a better team around them xD

2 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

That would be the best outcome that could probably happen i would say.  Not gonna lie though in general Brees has always gone after his money if im not mistaken and sadly so has matt ryan.  Wish they would take the tom brady approach 1 time for us for like 10 to 15 mil and let us put a better team around them xD

While I can't disagree that it'd be awesome, I will never blame a guy for taking as much money as he can. Know your worth and get as much out of it as you can. I've seen too many "loyal" players end up getting burned by their organization anyways. Look out for yourself because the NFL's not going to. 

4 hours ago, Spartica4Real said:

While I can't disagree that it'd be awesome, I will never blame a guy for taking as much money as he can. Know your worth and get as much out of it as you can. I've seen too many "loyal" players end up getting burned by their organization anyways. Look out for yourself because the NFL's not going to. 

I agree but make no mistake here... Brees is one of the richest players in the NFL with about a 2-3 year window left. Legacy will be a MAJOR factor in his contract negotiations. Brees is chasing another ring before its over and he kniws he has the team that can do it but he also knows they have to get better. 

Yes I believe Brees will give a discount but he will be smart about it... He will want assurance that the money he leaves on the table goes to improving the roster. Just like he was willing to do had we signed Josh Norman. Look for Brees to leave money on the table but believe that he will want immediate help with that money.

20 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

So i read somewhere that Drew is a FA and yet he is still owed a 18 mil cap hit?   Im trying to figure out how that is possible or if it's even real.  Can a fan of the team tell me if that is correct or not and if he resigns will his new money get added on top of that 18 mil to make a much bigger cap hit?

I also believe that if the Saints sign him to an extension before March 3rd, they can do whatever they want with that 18 million and will likely spread it out over a couple years. 

I think Brees will sign a 3-year extension with an easy out after year two. I think the first two years will be highly guaranteed with a lower cap hit than we expect from Brees. He'll likely get a nice bonus in the 3rd year regardless of whether or not he's on the roster. 

Archived