7 Heaven: Keenum does the miraculous

Klomp

Peter King: I’d bet the Vikings try to re-sign Keenum, a free agent, after the season, but there could be bigger offers in Denver (John Elway is an admirer), Arizona, Cleveland or who knows where else. Now’s not the time for that.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/15/vikings-saints-case-keenum-stefon-diggs-walkoff-touchdown-nfl-playoffs-peter-king

I thought the bolded was interesting....

11 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

Getting that ball to Diggs was huge. But he also brought the team back another time under two minutes in that game and got them in position for the go ahead FG. And there is the rest of the year too. It is mostly based on the rest of the year. He just showed that he can handle the pressure. That is the cherry on top.

Yup, he made TWO comeback game-winning drives in the last 3 minutes of the game. That was the biggest fear most Vikings had about him all season long and he squashed it.

8 hours ago, Klomp said:

Denver (John Elway is an admirer)

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/15/vikings-saints-case-keenum-stefon-diggs-walkoff-touchdown-nfl-playoffs-peter-king

May be the kiss of death given the offer Elway gave to Osweiler/drafting of Paxton Lynch/losing a promising prospect in Sloter to bring Osweiler back.  Certainly some competition for Keenum this off-season.  I am comfortable with him over the next few seasons with continued investments behind him on the depth chart.

9 hours ago, Klomp said:

Peter King: I’d bet the Vikings try to re-sign Keenum, a free agent, after the season, but there could be bigger offers in Denver (John Elway is an admirer), Arizona, Cleveland or who knows where else. Now’s not the time for that.

Of course Elway is an admirer. That dude loves his gunslingers. Although Keenum is about the exact opposite in terms of stature that Elway likes. 

Call me crazy, but I think Keenum is the type of guy who will recognize that the infrastructure in Minnesota has elevated his career to a point of stardom he's never experienced before. Would make little sense for both he and the organization to part ways - especially if the difference in annual salary isn't too great.

What's more, regardless of how many suitors Case has, I don't know what franchise would be willing to value him more than the Vikings probably do at the moment. Wherever else he'd land, it's unlikely that it'd be as the unquestioned starter.

1 minute ago, Purple-Pride07 said:

Call me crazy, but I think Keenum is the type of guy who will recognize that the infrastructure in Minnesota has elevated his career to a point of stardom he's never experience before. Would make little sense for both he and the organization to part ways - especially if the difference in annual salary isn't too great.

What's more, regardless of how many suitors Case has, I don't know what franchise would be willing to value him more than the Vikings probably do at the moment. Wherever else he'd land, it's unlikely that it'd be as the unquestioned starter.

Add to these considerations is the fact that most QB-needy franchises are not that good, and no one likes to play for a team that sucks, IMHO.  Case is probably willing to take what he considers to be a king's transom, and he'll leave it at that lol.

3 minutes ago, perrynoid said:

Add to these considerations is the fact that most QB-needy franchises are not that good, and no one likes to play for a team that sucks, IMHO.  Case is probably willing to take what he considers to be a king's transom, and he'll leave it at that lol.

Ha. We're on the same wavelength. Obviously I'm ball-parking, but if I'm to paint a scenario here: Make $10-12M/yr in Minnesota on a short-term deal with a proven infrastructure and trusted supporting cast OR Make $13-15M/yr in a potentially interesting but unproven situation with an entirely new set of coaches.

Methinks Case has run the gamut of different coaching staffs and cities. He's been the epitome of a journeyman to this point. Why leave when you've finally earned some stability.

49 minutes ago, Purple-Pride07 said:

Ha. We're on the same wavelength. Obviously I'm ball-parking, but if I'm to paint a scenario here: Make $10-12M/yr in Minnesota on a short-term deal with a proven infrastructure and trusted supporting cast OR Make $13-15M/yr in a potentially interesting but unproven situation with an entirely new set of coaches.

Methinks Case has run the gamut of different coaching staffs and cities. He's been the epitome of a journeyman to this point. Why leave when you've finally earned some stability.

I very much doubt that Keenum will be expecting to only make $15M/yr if he went somewhere else. He'll be expecting that he can make $20M+ per year. The only thing that I see changing that expectation is if he makes it to free agency and he doesn't have interest from teams looking to sign him as a starter.

3 hours ago, RJWSkol24 said:

May be the kiss of death given the offer Elway gave to Osweiler/drafting of Paxton Lynch/losing a promising prospect in Sloter to bring Osweiler back.  Certainly some competition for Keenum this off-season.  I am comfortable with him over the next few seasons with continued investments behind him on the depth chart.

Just use the franchise tag. Problem solved for this year.

1 hour ago, Cearbhall said:

I very much doubt that Keenum will be expecting to only make $15M/yr if he went somewhere else. He'll be expecting that he can make $20M+ per year. The only thing that I see changing that expectation is if he makes it to free agency and he doesn't have interest from teams looking to sign him as a starter.

I sort of expect between 15-20. Everyone currently making 20+ is way more established than Case.

16 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

I sort of expect between 15-20. Everyone currently making 20+ is way more established than Case.

I would, of course, be happy to get Case on a cheaper contract. Realistically though, why would case sign for $15-$20 when as long as there is a chance that he'll be getting $23M guaranteed on a one year deal. He has to know that the Vikings are likely to franchise tag him if he doesn't do a deal. It is too big a risk for the Vikings to let Case go into free agency.

Archived