7 Heaven: Keenum does the miraculous

Klomp

7 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I would, of course, be happy to get Case on a cheaper contract. Realistically though, why would case sign for $15-$20 when as long as there is a chance that he'll be getting $23M guaranteed on a one year deal. He has to know that the Vikings are likely to franchise tag him if he doesn't do a deal. It is too big a risk for the Vikings to let Case go into free agency.

Because security is often more important for a player than a one-time payday. Would you like working on a year-to-year contract, or would you be willing to sacrifice a little bit of money to ensure you can probably keep your job longer?

11 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I would, of course, be happy to get Case on a cheaper contract. Realistically though, why would case sign for $15-$20 when as long as there is a chance that he'll be getting $23M guaranteed on a one year deal. He has to know that the Vikings are likely to franchise tag him if he doesn't do a deal. It is too big a risk for the Vikings to let Case go into free agency.

I don't know if it's a huge risk to let him go, or the how Vikings feel about that.  I'm sure they'll make him an offer, whether they are willing to let him go if the price is too steep I don't know.

23 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Because security is often more important for a player than a one-time payday. Would you like working on a year-to-year contract, or would you be willing to sacrifice a little bit of money to ensure you can probably keep your job longer?

That makes sense if the team would have offered him a contract when there were still games to be played. By the offseason Keenum will have already taken all the risk on himself and have little risk remaining. All he has to do at that point is wait. If the Vikings tag him, he has $23M guaranteed and a chance to cash in even further after one year. If the Vikings don't tag him, he has a chance to see what the market will pay him. 

It isn't going to be cheap for the Vikings to get Keenum off those options after he has already taken all the risk, bet on himself, and won. One way or another, he'll have all the financial security anyone needs in a lifetime before he takes the risk of being on the field, even practice field, again.

3 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

It isn't going to be cheap for the Vikings to get Keenum off those options after he has already taken all the risk, bet on himself, and won.

He really never bet on himself. He came here basically never looking at getting game time. He came here on a small 1 year contract because it was the best offer he had.

6 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

He really never bet on himself. He came here basically never looking at getting game time. He came here on a small 1 year contract because it was the best offer he had.

Sure. He probably didn't have many options for long term contracts and the Vikings probably never offered him anything during the year. In that sense, he never chose to bet on himself. He was forced to bet on himself. And he won!

On 1/16/2018 at 1:16 PM, Cearbhall said:

I very much doubt that Keenum will be expecting to only make $15M/yr if he went somewhere else. He'll be expecting that he can make $20M+ per year. The only thing that I see changing that expectation is if he makes it to free agency and he doesn't have interest from teams looking to sign him as a starter.

I don't claim to own the truth, but short of winning the Super Bowl (as MVP), I have a tremendously difficult time believing he'll be commanding such exorbitant figures.

13 minutes ago, Purple-Pride07 said:

I don't claim to own the truth, but short of winning the Super Bowl (as MVP), I have a tremendously difficult time believing he'll be commanding such exorbitant figures.

Very true. None of us really know. Only time will tell.

The question that each of us can answer is how much we would be willing to give Keenum if we ran the team. To me, that is a lot more difficult question. Will Keenum be worth his next contract? I have my doubts. That is why I would hit him with the tag if I was running the team. The Vikings have that option. Beyond that, what the market will offer him is not something that we cannot know for sure. I wouldn't want to risk going into next season with no proven QB. I also wouldn't want to risk giving Case $50M guaranteed on a longer deal.

Before time for the tag, the team will have a chance to feel out what Keenum's expectations are. If they are reasonable and the guaranteed money isn't a lot more than the franchise value I would strongly consider locking him up.

Letting Keenum get to free agency would really be playing with fire. Sure, it is possible that there will not be a team that offers Keenum a deal close enough to what he feels like he is worth, but it only takes one team. And the league is QB starved. That is a risk that I would not take if I was running the team.

Just now, Cearbhall said:

Very true. None of us really know. Only time will tell.

The question that each of us can answer is how much we would be willing to give Keenum if we ran the team. To me, that is a lot more difficult question. Will Keenum be worth his next contract? I have my doubts. That is why I would hit him with the tag if I was running the team. The Vikings have that option. Beyond that, what the market will offer him is not something that we can know for sure. I wouldn't want to risk going into next season with no proven QB. I also wouldn't want to risk giving Case $50M guaranteed on a longer deal.

Before time for the tag, the team will have a chance to feel out what Keenum's expectations are. If they are reasonable and the guaranteed money isn't a lot more than the franchise value I would strongly consider locking him up.

Letting Keenum get to free agency would really be playing with fire. Sure, it is possible that there will not be a team that offers Keenum a deal close enough to what he feels like he is worth, but it only takes once team. And the league is QB starved. That is a risk that I would not take if I was running the team.

We're not re-drafting Case out of Houston here, but at the end of the day the physical composition will still factor into the pro evaluation. Is a team, any team, going to invest $20M+ annually on a physically limited journeyman who theoretically could've just caught fire within a very stable infrastructure? Let's just say my interpretation of the situation returns a resounding 'hell no', but again - we potentially have two games left and crazier things have happened.

His value to the Vikings, within this setup, is higher than it would be elsewhere. Factor in that there are 3-4 potential first-round quarterbacks available in this year's draft class and we still need to determine the long-term solutions of Kirk Cousins, A.J. McCarron, Sam Bradford, etc. - this is hardly shaping up to be a gold mine offseason for Case.

Then again, all it takes is one team.

1 minute ago, Purple-Pride07 said:

We're not re-drafting Case out of Houston here, but at the end of the day the physical composition will still factor into the pro evaluation. Is a team, any team, going to invest $20M+ annually on a physically limited journeyman who theoretically could've just caught fire within a very stable infrastructure? Let's just say my interpretation of the situation returns a resounding 'hell no', but again - we potentially have two games left and crazier things have happened.

His value to the Vikings, within this setup, is higher than it would be elsewhere. Factor in that there are 3-4 potential first-round quarterbacks available in this year's draft class and we still need to determine the long-term solutions of Kirk Cousins, A.J. McCarron, Sam Bradford, etc. - this is hardly shaping up to be a gold mine offseason for Case.

Then again, all it takes is one team.

My assessment of the bolded question above is that it is very likely that case will fine a team that will give him $20M+ annually. Likely enough that I wouldn't risk it. If I was running the team, I would know that coming away from the opening days of free agency with no proven QB would likely be a fireable offense given where the rest of the team is at. Franchise tagging Case would not be a fireable offense. I would be risking my job.

If I could sign Case to something before the tag deadline that doesn't guarantee him a ton more than the franchise tag gives him I would jump all over that. Otherwise, I give him the tag and see what happens.

5 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

My assessment of the bolded question above is that it is very likely that case will fine a team that will give him $20M+ annually. Likely enough that I wouldn't risk it. If I was running the team, I would know that coming away from the opening days of free agency with no proven QB would likely be a fireable offense given where the rest of the team is at. Franchise tagging Case would not be a fireable offense. I would be risking my job.

If I could sign Case to something before the tag deadline that doesn't guarantee him a ton more than the franchise tag gives him I would jump all over that. Otherwise, I give him the tag and see what happens.

Couple things here:

• We could theoretically win the Super Bowl this year and it wouldn't exactly make Case that much more 'proven' as a future commodity than he currently is. A significant amount of projection would be required regardless of where he goes (including remaining in Minnesota, though less projection, of course).

• No team in the NFL has had to overcome more devastation at the QB position than the Vikings have. Case has contributed on many fronts, but if this season is/has revealed something, it's that we're capable of winning despite lacking a passer who can single-handedly win games (ex: Brett in 2009). This is not a desperation situation.

• Again, Case was an NFL journeyman upon signing his contract with the Vikings. He has earned the trust of the team, both offensively and defensively, and - while I may be projecting a little - I'd imagine he would leave money on the table (a little, not a lot) in order to remain in a situation that was obviously conducive to tremendous success for him personally.

Both sides will come to their senses at the negotiation table. 

Spielman & Brzezinski can't afford to offer too little and risk losing the best performing & healthy QB since Favre.

Keenum can't ask for too much and risk having to sign into a less desirable situation where he won't be throwing to Thielen, Diggs, Rudolph, ... and handing off to Cook & M (& M?).

The two sides should eventually come to a middle ground that is in both their best interests.

13 hours ago, Purple-Pride07 said:

Win or lose, Case had already wrapped up the big contract assuming no injuries.

It's gonna take $40M in gaureented money on a long term deal, for "security" to trump one year of tag potential at $23M got Case

Archived