Draft question, guys...

Suffering_Bills

WITH Dareus gone, and Kyle Williams on his last legs, our biggest draft need, aside from QB (Free agency?) is CLEARLY at the defensive tackle position. Now, assuming we get a vet in FA, my question is this: Would any of you be utterly against taking TWO DT's with our two 1st-rounders? I think the value would be there to do so.

It would be extremely frustrating to see it happen.

You'd want to be getting Christian Wilkins and Vita Vea best case scenario, after those two guys I see the rest of the DT's as late 1st round- early 2nd value. Guys like Taven Bryan and Mo Hurst, two guys I don't love at 21/22.

Like many positions in this draft, DL is fairly deep and I see most of the talent pretty close in terms of value whether you pick late 1st or even as late as the 3rd round. There's a lot of good DL to be had in round 2 and 3, one I really like is Harrison Phillips out of Stanford. You can likely pick him up in the 2nd and you're getting a quality starter right away. I prefer to go that route and fill our more important positions like QB and pass rush or LB with the early selections. 

4 minutes ago, Maxmw22 said:

with the Clemson DL returning,  I'm not convinced that the talent at 21 and 22 will be there when it comes to DT. I mean if the value is there,  sure,  but I don't think there will be.

Wilkins is the only DL from Clemson that hasn't decided to return yet, his decision is expected today. He seems likely to declare considering he already earned his degree and attended senior night according to reports. Even with all that said, I don't see him making it to 21 for us anyways like you mentioned.

Don't think we need two DTs. Star Loutelelei would be a huge upgrade as a NT. Then Adolphus Washington will be able to play the 3 Technique. Towards the end of the season Washington seemed to be used primarily of a 3 Technique and Kyle Williams became the 1 Technique. It really improved our run defense. Kinda sucked that we had to play with two 3 techniques. If we can bring in a true NT to play the 1 tenique like Star then we will see a huge turnaround.

Regardless of what we do to address the QB situation, I would not want to see more than one of those picks on a DT. DT is a legit need, but we need quality upgrades at LB, OL, and depending on the status of - I can't remember if it was Hyde or Poyer who had 2 head trauma injuries in the Jags game - we may very well have a huge need at S. We can't invest all of that high draft value on just one grouping.

19 hours ago, Suffering_Bills said:

Okay. How come?

DT has become a secondary position on a football team ever since the NFL switched from a run first to a pass first league, so using 2 first rounders on a secondary position isn't really too smart a move IMO.

Buffalo is also not likely to get any decent FA QB to come here, QBing in Buffalo is tough given our weather late in the season. FA QB's want to go somewhere and play in a dome or a warm climate, where they can have a much easier time of it, so unless our FO is willing to way overpay a FA QB, he isn't coming here and we may well have to use both of our #1's to move up to get a decent rookie QB!!!

On 1/15/2018 at 8:07 AM, Suffering_Bills said:

Okay. How come?

I just think we have way too many holes to fill to go DT back to back in the draft. I'd rather use FA to get at least one of the DTs. We need QB, DE, RT, WR and basically every LB position. Spending so much draft capital on one position seems irresponsible in my opinion. 

I see what you are saying about the DT's falling to us and the value being there the problem is we have a lot of holes and I'd rather we take a stud DE like Key from LSU at 21 or 22 and use the other pick on a QB like Mayfield or a LB, OL or DT.  Most offseason Mocks have us signing Star so if we could do that and get Kyle to sign a 1 year deal we may not need to draft a DT early.  I love Washington I think giving time he will be a pro bowler just my opinion.  Honestly I see us going hard after Star and Cousins so we could draft the BPA with our picks.

I don't see a situation we pass on Christian Wilkins. He could step in immediately or rotate with Kyle at best case. He's a McDermott type DT similar to Kawann Short

Edit * He's staying at Clemson. There is gonna be some high picks out of Clemson next year,  That defense is stacked 

Wow, with Wilkins returning I think this question has been answered.

The only way I see us taking DL back-to-back is if it's Vita Vea and an EDGE rusher. I don't like the idea of potentially ending up with Da'Ron Payne, Mo Hurst and Taven Bryan or another late 1st-2nd round prospect at 21/22. I only see Vea, Wilkins and maybe Payne as top 25 DT talents. We need other positions filled rather than going with this luxury situation. 

Archived