Top Prospects in the 2018 Draft

Dome

LB- my #1 target would be Roquan Smith, UGA though he might be a top 15 pick not to mention there are guys like Navarro Bowman in FA that we can target.  #2 is obviously Rasheed Evans, Bama who would be a good pickup.  Outside of that we need to look at 3rd round picks and I would still look towards Jerome Baker, he really started stepping it up at the end of the year and played great within the scheme that Ohio State used against USC.  I think he's more or less a more athletic Craig Robertson which although won't be a pro bowler, would be a solid starting OLB for us.

TE-The Penn State TE is probably our best option in the 3rd round.

DL-Ohio State has a ton of good DL players like Sam Hubbard coming out, though he might go before our pick in the 1st.  I think any of those guys in their projected rounds would work.

OL-The Ohio State center will likely be a top 15-20 pick as he's able to play both C and G at an All-American level and his versatility would be welcomed on our OL if we needed to move guys around when Armstead or someone else goes down.  Only position he hasn't/can't play is probably OT but I wouldn't even put that past him as a RT if Ramzy had to slide to the left side.

I would also want the Saints to take a good look at Josh Jackson, CB Iowa who depending on the round might be a great pickup for us to push Crawley to play better at the #2 CB spot or even overtake him and push Crawley to the #3.

10 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

I know I could google this, but I want the opinion of Saints fans. Who are some of the top prospects in the draft?

Specifically:

LBer
TE
DL
OL

All right... My kinda talk!!!

First ill stick to linebacker prospects since it appears thats what most feel is our biggest need (I agree as well).

2 things needed to know...

1. This FA linebacker class is pathetic so help will have to come through the draft.

2. While the draft has IMO 4 off ball linebackers with 1st round potential, after that the position is pretty bleak & thin so with no 2nd round pick I simply cannot see the Saints going anywhere else at 27 other than linebacker unless they trade for someone.

Having said all that, here are the 4 off ball backers I have with first round grades...

1. Tremaine Edmounds, Virginia Tech

Most have Roquan Smith as their #1 but not me. At 6'4" 250 lbs. Edmounds is veraatile and extremly athletic. Hes fluid in coverage anx stout aganist the run. His instincts are top notch and he has the potential to be a difference maker at the next level. 

Perdiction: Top 15

2. RoQuan Smith, Georgia

Smith is an excellent player but his size limitations limt him in scheme and position on thr next level. Smith is dynamic in pursuit and closes in a hurry. Hes solid in coverage and has superb instincts. Smith will likley end up as a weak side LB in a 43 defense limiting his options to teams but he'll be a fantastic player in that role in the NFL much like a devante david or debo Jones.

Perdiction: Top 20

3. Rashaan Evans, Alabama

Evans is big, physical, athletic and versatile. Hes a dynamic player with relentless pursuit and a above average blitzer. The biggest knock on Evans is like many defenders from Alabama. He plays a specific role on the Tides defense and its tough to just exactly how good he is based on all the talent that surrounds him. Still he possesses NFL measurables of a 1st round prospect and is a difference maker when on the field.

Prediction: Top 25

4. Malik Jefferson, Texas

Jefferson is big and highly athletic... Maybe the most gifted athlete of this bunch. He hits like a truck and possesses great versitility. Jefferson also might be the best coverage LB of this group as well. His instincts are solid but his aggressiveness tends to cause him to overpursue at times.

Prediction: Top 32

So there are my guys... IMO its highly plausible that the Saints will select one of these 4 with the 27th pick. An interesting foot note to remember ia that Saints LB coach Mike Nolan values size, speed and versatility in his group.

45 minutes ago, JMG5 said:

Malik Jefferson feels like another Stephon Anothny to me.

If your looking for that Eric Kendricks, Sean Lee type of guy... A guy that is an excellent player but just dosent have the 1st round measureables that goes somewhere in the 2nd round but ends up out performing most of the guys that go in the first.

Josey Jowell of Iowa is your guy. 

The kid has some of the best instincts ive seen on film and his effort is second to none. He is a limited athlete but he plays like his hair is on fire and is extremely smart and underatands the game.

Taking him at 27 would be a reach but maybe trading out of the 1st and taking him in the 2nd while adding anothet pick could be a win for us.

3 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

All right... My kinda talk!!!

First ill stick to linebacker prospects since it appears thats what most feel is our biggest need (I agree as well).

2 things needed to know...

1. This FA linebacker class is pathetic so help will have to come through the draft.

2. While the draft has IMO 4 off ball linebackers with 1st round potential, after that the position is pretty bleak & thin so with no 2nd round pick I simply cannot see the Saints going anywhere else at 27 other than linebacker unless they trade for someone.

Having said all that, here are the 4 off ball backers I have with first round grades...

1. Tremaine Edmounds, Virginia Tech

Most have Roquan Smith as their #1 but not me. At 6'4" 250 lbs. Edmounds is veraatile and extremly athletic. Hes fluid in coverage anx stout aganist the run. His instincts are top notch and he has the potential to be a difference maker at the next level.

Perdiction: Top 15

2. RoQuan Smith, Georgia

Smith is an excellent player but his size limitations limt him in scheme and position on thr next level. Smith is dynamic in pursuit and closes in a hurry. Hes solid in coverage and has superb instincts. Smith will likley end up as a weak side LB in a 43 defense limiting his options to teams but he'll be a fantastic player in that role in the NFL much like a devante david or debo Jones.

Perdiction: Top 20

3. Rashaan Evans, Alabama

Evans is big, physical, athletic and versatile. Hes a dynamic player with relentless pursuit and a above average blitzer. The biggest knock on Evans is like many defenders from Alabama. He plays a specific role on the Tides defense and its tough to just exactly how good he is based on all the talent that surrounds him. Still he possesses NFL measurables of a 1st round prospect and is a difference maker when on the field.

Prediction: Top 25

4. Malik Jefferson, Texas

Jefferson is big and highly athletic... Maybe the most gifted athlete of this bunch. He hits like a truck and possesses great versitility. Jefferson also might be the best coverage LB of this group as well. His instincts are solid but his aggressiveness tends to cause him to overpursue at times.

Prediction: Top 32

So there are my guys... IMO its highly plausible that the Saints will select one of these 4 with the 27th pick. An interesting foot note to remember ia that Saints LB coach Mike Nolan values size, speed and versatility in his group.

Good write up, I'll be shocked if the first two picks in the saints draft isn't LB AND TE. These two needs are enormous and when you add in the lackluster free agent pool at both of these positions [I don't see Jimmy G coming back here] in addition to Brees's short window for another superbow [I only see him playing for another 2 years] hitting on both of these picks become paramount.

@TE A guy I like is Hayden Hurst out of South Carolina, I think he'll be there in the mid to late 3rd Round. @LB Hopefully we get lucky and somebody like Roquan Smith / Rashaan Evans falls to us. In Free Agency the WR position is absolutely stacked, there's no excuse for the Saints to not sign someone out there to take pressure off Michael Thomas - Jarvis Landry, Sammy Watkins, Paul Richardson, Brice Butler, Allen Robinson, and Davante Adams are my top six, I'm thinking the saints will go after one of these guys early in free agency.  If we can get quality players at these three positions, find another pass rusher, and re-sign Brees / Okafor I think that would instantly make this team a true Superbowl contender.

1 hour ago, Lyoane said:

Good write up, I'll be shocked if the first two picks in the saints draft isn't LB AND TE. These two needs are enormous and when you add in the lackluster free agent pool at both of these positions [I don't see Jimmy G coming back here] in addition to Brees's short window for another superbow [I only see him playing for another 2 years] hitting on both of these picks become paramount.

@TE A guy I like is Hayden Hurst out of South Carolina, I think he'll be there in the mid to late 3rd Round. @LB Hopefully we get lucky and somebody like Roquan Smith / Rashaan Evans falls to us. In Free Agency the WR position is absolutely stacked, there's no excuse for the Saints to not sign someone out there to take pressure off Michael Thomas - Jarvis Landry, Sammy Watkins, Paul Richardson, Brice Butler, Allen Robinson, and Davante Adams are my top six, I'm thinking the saints will go after one of these guys early in free agency.  If we can get quality players at these three positions, find another pass rusher, and re-sign Brees / Okafor I think that would instantly make this team a true Superbowl contender.

I dont' think WR will get addressed by one of those guys.  At least 3 of them will likely be looking at big deals of 10-12+/yr and the other 3 don't have the same level of productivity to warrant the contract they will be getting, especially with our limited cap space.

Rookie TEs are always questionable to me. I would rather us sign Graham who has actually played a few years rather than spend a high pick on a TE hoping he is what we want him to be. We just can't miss on the position like we did with Fleener. Free agency or in the draft, we need a TE who can actually contribute and be a big part of the offense on 3rd and in the redzone at the least.

12 hours ago, JMG5 said:

Rookie TEs are always questionable to me. I would rather us sign Graham who has actually played a few years rather than spend a high pick on a TE hoping he is what we want him to be. We just can't miss on the position like we did with Fleener. Free agency or in the draft, we need a TE who can actually contribute and be a big part of the offense on 3rd and in the redzone at the least.

Didn't we bring Graham in as a rookie?

16 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

If your looking for that Eric Kendricks, Sean Lee type of guy... A guy that is an excellent player but just dosent have the 1st round measureables that goes somewhere in the 2nd round but ends up out performing most of the guys that go in the first.

Josey Jowell of Iowa is your guy. 

The kid has some of the best instincts ive seen on film and his effort is second to none. He is a limited athlete but he plays like his hair is on fire and is extremely smart and underatands the game.

Taking him at 27 would be a reach but maybe trading out of the 1st and taking him in the 2nd while adding anothet pick could be a win for us.

You don't have to tell me twice about this kid. He is and has been the leader, and heart & soul of that Hawkeyes defense. Rarely hurt, and everyone wants to play up to his level.

I'd love to have a Hawkeye (Jewell) and Cyclone (Klein) on our D. That would just be awesome!

Archived