2018 Free Agency - Who's available?

Dome

Looking over the list at Spotrac and there's a few names that stand out, but I'm sure there are countless under the radar signs I'm not seeing.

Spotrac 2018 Free Agents

Guys I'm most interested in to step in and make impacts right away would be Dontari Poe and Jimmy Graham

J. Graham - We need RZ and 3rd down help immensely. Graham coupled with more of an inline TE to develop would be a great pickup for us.

D. Poe - Huge body next to Rankins. Not much more needs to be said, Okafor, Poe, Rankins, Jordan would be NASTY. 

2 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

Graham is a 1 trick pony and will come at a really high price. I say we pass on him and go get a rookie that can actually contribute to the run game.

4 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

Graham coupled with more of an inline TE to develop would be a great pickup for us.

That's what I said too. lol.

Yes Graham is a one trick pony... but his one trick is exactly what we needed most this year offensively.

He may come at a high price (I don't think it'll be as high as you're expecting) because his one trick is very valuable and he does it at a very high level. 

Graham- Probably cost too much to bring in, but if we can get him for 5/yr I would bring him back as I think he would love to play with Brees again and in this offense that utilizes the TE much better than Seattle.

Poe-Definitely going to cost too much.  He's going to probably be at least 8-10/yr and I don't think we have that kind of money to throw at one player when we have a serviceable player in that position with Fairley(if healthy) or Davidson.  Not ot mention there are several NT in the draft that can be brought in.

If I was going to drop big money on a FA player it would be at DE to play across from Jordan.  Ziggy Ansah from DET, Clayborn from the Falcons(also hurts the Falcons for a bonus), DeMarcus Lawrence from DAL.

Another option would be Navarro Bowman from the Raiders.  He's shown that he can still be productive from his injury and might come at a reasonable price, 4-5/yr which would give us a starting LBer unit of Anzalone/Klein/Bowman with Robertson/Te'o as back-ups, maybe even look at Demario Davis from the NYJ.

If we decide to still go after Butler, which should be a real consideration and probably the only position outside of DE I'd be willing to put big money into this offseason, he would be a stellar player across from Lattimore as Crawley showed once again that's he's just not good enough to be the #2 with someone as good as Lattimore across from him.  When you have a Lattimore type player, your #2 CB needs to be a top flight CB as well because they are going to get a lot of work as well.  I mean look at the Vikings #2 CB across from Rhodes.  The guy was targeted over 100 times and but he's a very good CB in his own right and held up quite well.  With Butler and Breaux coming back that would give us a group of Lattimore/Butler/Crawley/Breaux/PJ WIlliams at CB and would be damn good.  The other option is to at least look at Eli Apple if he does get cut, although he has an attitude problem with the Giants, he might just need the change of scenery getting out of the NY media and onto a winning team again to turn it around, especially with some moral support from college teammates.  The Saints could even look to treat him like Dallas and a few others have treated guys with character concerns and get them a life coach, rather than a bodyguard for those guys, to help him take care of things in his life which should help grow as a person and be able to contribute.  Obviously any contract for Apple though would need to be easily jettisoned if he remains an issue in the locker room as no matter how talented he is, anything longer than a potential TC disruption is too much for this young secondary.

1 hour ago, Raves said:

Another option would be Navarro Bowman from the Raiders.  He's shown that he can still be productive from his injury and might come at a reasonable price, 4-5/yr which would give us a starting LBer unit of Anzalone/Klein/Bowman with Robertson/Te'o as back-ups, maybe even look at Demario Davis from the NYJ.

Is he playing well for the Raiders? When he got cut I mentioned him and people told me “nah he sucks” so I moved on lol 

4 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

Is he playing well for the Raiders? When he got cut I mentioned him and people told me “nah he sucks” so I moved on lol 

I don't know if he's playing well or not, but I was absolutely interested in him.

He wanted to go to the Raiders, so I don't see him leaving, and he'll certainly want to play for Gruden. I'm guessing he is a wasted conversation point.

Also I can't lie, one thing I'm concerned about is that as soon as we're competitive again that Loomis will go back to his old ways and just hamper us with contracts. This team is young as hell, we don't need to fill a bunch of holes in free agency and destroy our cap again. Let the draft god Jeff Ireland do his work for us. 

I want the Saints to invest in a DT in free agency. Poe is who I want, but I know his price may be kind of high. He could really make a difference to our front 4. He is a mammoth of a human being and always draws double teams. He could be what we wanted Fairley to be before the medical issues. I'm sure if the Saints were to bring him in then they could find a workaround for his cap hits just like they do with everyone else. I also hope the Saints resign Okafor. Like you said, a front of Jordan/Rankins/Poe/Okafor could be great.

As for Jimmy Graham, I want him back as well. You never truly know what you're going to get from a rookie TE. O.J. Howard was a can't miss prospect and he struggled to find his groove with Tampa Bay this year. At least with Jimmy you know you're getting someone who can help us on 3rd down and the red zone. He may not be what he use to be, but we could really use a guy like him.

2 minutes ago, navysaintsfan said:

I really don't know about Jimmy. Remember the reason we traded him in the first place, and the comments he made when he left.

Until the Saints prove me wrong I still believe that Malcolm Butler will be their top offseason target outside of reaigning Brees and Oakfor. Crawley was ok this year but better suited at 3rd or even 4th on thr depth chart.

Resign Brees and Oakfor... Land Butler in FA. Let Vaccaro walk and allow Breaux, Bell & PJ to play in the slot. Tatget a versatile athletic linebacker with size and instincts in the draft.

2 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Until the Saints prove me wrong I still believe that Malcolm Butler will be their top offseason target outside of reaigning Brees and Oakfor. Crawley was ok this year but better suited at 3rd or even 4th on thr depth chart.

Resign Brees and Oakfor... Land Butler in FA. Let Vaccaro walk and allow Breaux, Bell & PJ to play in the slot. Tatget a versatile athletic linebacker with size and instincts in the draft.

I don't want Butler. He will be asking for A LOT of money, and I think Crawley can continue to get better. I just can't see them investing a huge amount of money to a position that isn't at the top of our needs list and to a player that isn't necessarily a Top 10 player at his position.

5 minutes ago, JMG5 said:

I don't want Butler. He will be asking for A LOT of money, and I think Crawley can continue to get better. I just can't see them investing a huge amount of money to a position that isn't at the top of our needs list and to a player that isn't necessarily a Top 10 player at his position.

A few things here...

1. Sean Payton always seems to get "his guy" eventually. Vilma, Shockey, etc. Payton had connections to them well before landing them and Butler falls into that category.

2. Brees will resign but understand hes chasing championships only. He has a 2-3 year window and while drafting has been stellar I can bet you Brees will be looking to excellerate the process. Yes Butler will be pricy but Brees is in position to help facilitate a deal if he feels it improves his odds of getting to the Superbowl.

3. Crawley was ok but he was also #1 on the team in penalties. Hes very mistake prone and handzy. I like him more as a 3rd or 4th depth player and there is nothing wrong with that. Breaux is a wildcard who cant stay healthy but is big and physical enough to play in the slot and Nickel if the Saints let Vaccaro walk.

Butler is a very very good player that competes his tail off and never gives up. Hed be an excellent counterpart to Lattimore giving the Saints two starting physical corners that can cover and tackle.

42 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Butler is a very very good player that competes his tail off and never gives up. Hed be an excellent counterpart to Lattimore giving the Saints two starting physical corners that can cover and tackle.

But is he worth 16m per year? I say no.

Archived