Titans Head Coaching Search 2018

KingTitan

4 minutes ago, TwoToneBlue said:

Yeah, and since Munch turned them down for a 2nd interview, I believe Wilks is the only one who has gotten a second with Arizona.

Well that’s only because guys like Schwartz, DeFilippo, and Flores can’t interview again yet because their teams are still in the playoffs. Their other top candidates, Munch turned them down, Schurmer looks like a Giants lock, and  Patricia to the Lions.

34 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Eh I wouldn’t worry about losing out to Arizona with that aging roster and no QB. Sure if they offer him the job after the 2nd interview but I don’t see it.

Oh I'm not worried about it, I was just informing you he interviewed and has a follow up interview since you weren't sure.

3 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

I have a feeling that Vrabel, Wilks and LeFleur are the only three we interview

I was sure we'd get a few more guys in next week, regardless of who won... but the Tennessean explained that rule a little bit more... in case anyone is interested in the minutiae of the rule. 

I was under impression that any coach could interview in that small window between the championship games and the SB... but the rule states that only second interviews can be held during this time frame.  So we definitely can't interview anyone from the winning teams next week... but a team that already spoke to McDaniels, Patricia, Edwards, etc can set up a 2nd interview at that point.  

So unless the Eagles are knocked off, we'd have to wait 2 more weeks to interview their guys... same for the Viking and Patriot guys.  I don't think anyone on the Jags staff is drawing any interest.  

3 hours ago, VY said:

Obviously watching how good the Vikings D has been this past 4 years, Edwards is intriguing. Seems like a smart guy (played at Duke). Big question would be who is his staff? QB coach in Minnesota - Kevin Stefanski - looks like he’s on track to be an OC and could be an option, but not sure of his style. Obviously he’s done a good job this year, and has coached other position groups there as well.

I brought Edwards up a few days ago.  That defense is beyond impressive... and a majority of their guys have come up with the team and have improved as they've gone along.  I guess Zimmer being there clouds how much Edwards has really impacted the D, and how much of it is Zimmers... but I'd put him ahead of a guy like Wilks or Schwartz in my pecking order... 

If Wilks is the guy, I'm good... but I don't see him as a guy I'm falling over myself to get.  If I had to rank the candidates, I'd rank them:

1. Vrabel
  2. LaFleur
  3. Cooter
  4. Edwards (him and Cooter are interchangeable in my eyes right now... haven't seen much about either, but both are intriguing)
  5. Wilks (I'd probably put McDaniels 5th if he was an option)
  6. Reich 

Whoever we bring in, I'll like the hire a lot more if they can bring one or both of Flip and Richard as their coordinators.

If the Vikings D is credited more to Edwards than Zimmer, I would be all over Edwards. I generally see Zimmer get the credit, though.

I don't know if I have a favorite, I don't think I'm knowledgeable enough about the coaches to have that much of a definitive opinion, but my group of favorites is:

LeFleur, Vrabel, Defilippo, McDaniels, and Wilks. Edwards is also intriguing just because of that defense.

@ragevsuall17 why Vrabel as #1? just curious as to your opinion

edit-- and LeFleur at 2.

No candidate scares me more than LeFleur. Talk about a name that came out of NOWHERE. Again, I'd back the hire...I have no knowledge about him as a coach...just don't want us trying to force a "next McVay" hire. McVay got his @$$ handed to him against Quinn in the wild card. Experience he needed, though.

Edited by deeluxx3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ragevsuall17 said:
  1. Vrabel
  2. LaFleur
  3. Cooter
  4. Edwards (him and Cooter are interchangeable in my eyes right now... haven't seen much about either, but both are intriguing)
  5. Wilks (I'd probably put McDaniels 5th if he was an option)
  6. Reich 

Whoever we bring in, I'll like the hire a lot more if they can bring one or both of Flip and Richard as their coordinators.

That's a good list. I am scared off from Reich if only for his association with Whisenhunt. That's probably irrational but anyone who was close with him I don't want to even really entertain. To me, if we're willing to consider LaFleur than Flip isn't much of a departure from that. The more video I watch on LaFleur though, his personality seems like a really solid fit for Marcus. He's not an overly "rah-rah" guy, but you can tell he has a positive energy about him that seems infectious. Also there are some good snippets out there on his offensive philosophy - if it wasn't apparent by the way the Rams played this year - which is refreshing and could really benefit our skill players. 

I'm interested to see what happens in Detroit. Not sure if Cooter will stick around w/Patricia, and if he doesn't and becomes free he could be a solid OC option if we hire a defensive guy.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Brian Flores from the Patriots is intriguing to me. 

Experience in:

The scouting department. Special teams. Offensive assistant. Linebackers coach. Safeties coach. 

Said to have an impact on that team. 

I really like Flores I wanted him at a DC if we took McDaniels last yr. I think he’s going to be a hell of a coach 

18 minutes ago, VY said:

That's a good list. I am scared off from Reich if only for his association with Whisenhunt. That's probably irrational but anyone who was close with him I don't want to even really entertain. To me, if we're willing to consider LaFleur than Flip isn't much of a departure from that. The more video I watch on LaFleur though, his personality seems like a really solid fit for Marcus. He's not an overly "rah-rah" guy, but you can tell he has a positive energy about him that seems infectious. Also there are some good snippets out there on his offensive philosophy - if it wasn't apparent by the way the Rams played this year - which is refreshing and could really benefit our skill players. 

I'm interested to see what happens in Detroit. Not sure if Cooter will stick around w/Patricia, and if he doesn't and becomes free he could be a solid OC option if we hire a defensive guy.

To be honest I liked whiz offense better than mularkey, to me whiz offense wasn’t a problem, he just sucks as a head coach & we didn’t have a O line nor running game Marcus rookie year.

56 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

@ragevsuall17 why Vrabel as #1? just curious as to your opinion

edit-- and LeFleur at 2.

No candidate scares me more than LeFleur. Talk about a name that came out of NOWHERE. Again, I'd back the hire...I have no knowledge about him as a coach...just don't want us trying to force a "next McVay" hire. McVay got his @$$ handed to him against Quinn in the wild card. Experience he needed, though.

Vrabel to me embodies what a player's coach is. He's been well regarded since his playing days, always noted as the leader in the locker, the most liked in the locker room, etc.  He's intense, and I think his track record gets him instant credibility with the players.  Overall, I think he is everything that JRob wants in a coach... fits what JRob has wanted to build here since his arrival.  He takes the batton from Mularkey in that area without a hitch... and kicks it into the next gear... not fitting a schematic mold. That flexibility in his approach is enticing.

As far as LaFleur, people may think he's come out of nowhere... but both Shannahan and McVay have been full of praise for him for a few years now.  He may not have play calling experience per se, but he's been integral in developing their offenses.  McVay stated at one point that yeah, he's technically the one that sends the plays in, but LaFleur is instrumental in assessing situations and trends, analyzing a potential weakness, and selecting those plays... this doesn't just happen during the week, he's doing this game to game.  I'm confident he'll be able to assist the OC in developing the overall scheme and weekly adjustments, as he's done everywhere he's been.  And I think because he doesn't have that thing where he's had to call the plays, he'd be willing to let his OC do that (assisting and guiding as needed).  Then there's the track record of what QBs have done before, during, and after he's there... and results have been positive.  MOst of that credit has been attributed to Shannahan or McVay, but the track record is consistent. 

As far as experience, it looks like the candidates we're looking at would be first time HCs.  I'm 100% on board, and would be disappointed if we went the other route.  Stating that, regardless of who we select, inexperience in certain situations is going to happen.  

• Like 2