AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME: Jacksonville Jaguars #3 @ New England Patriots #1: Bortles vs. Brady

.Buzz

14 minutes ago, VegasOdds101 said:

Who would you rather have?  I don't mean for your fantasy team for your Jags?

I mean that’s a different question. Gronk does other things not related to catching the ball that are valuable to a team. But this discussion sparked based on the Jaguars “allowing 42 point” and therefore the Patriots being able to do so. Two of those TDs were based on Antonio Brown making perfect catches against perfect coverage. 100 times out of 100, I’m taking Brown if the need is to make insane Touchdown catches against perfect CB coverage. Gronk isn’t doing what Brown did to us.

Gronk absolutely could have a monster game and beat us. But pointing to what the Steelers did as proof that the Pats can take our defense to task is really, really poor analysis. The Patriots don’t have the players to do what the Steelers did. 

I am so incredibly excited for this game. I have the same feeling i did last week. Part of me thinks we can do it and other parts think we will get killed. The way the Steeler game went has me very perplexed. If you told me we gave up 42 i would have assumed we lost by 14. I hope our defense gets it together for the biggest game and biggest underdog game in franchise history

5 hours ago, iPwn said:

I mean that’s a different question. Gronk does other things not related to catching the ball that are valuable to a team. But this discussion sparked based on the Jaguars “allowing 42 point” and therefore the Patriots being able to do so. Two of those TDs were based on Antonio Brown making perfect catches against perfect coverage. 100 times out of 100, I’m taking Brown if the need is to make insane Touchdown catches against perfect CB coverage. Gronk isn’t doing what Brown did to us.

Gronk absolutely could have a monster game and beat us. But pointing to what the Steelers did as proof that the Pats can take our defense to task is really, really poor analysis. The Patriots don’t have the players to do what the Steelers did. 

Gronk and AB both make insane catches with great catches. See the foot catch against Pitt.

Not gonna lie...the thing that worries me about Gronk more than AB, is that a lot of the problems we've had defensively have been the product of manufactured mismatches.  When we're talking AB vs either of our boundary corners, i always felt reasonably safe (even if he did make some spectacular grabs for TDs against Bouye).  That's a matchup that's just going to happen and i'm absolutely comfortable with it on pretty much every snap.

When it comes to a guy like Gronk...i'm less confident.  Especially with Gip potentially injured/out/less than 100%.  We're not just going to glue Telvin/Jack to Gronk and call it a day...you can't run a successful defense like that.  You'd be letting Bill do exactly what he wants in that.  Can't take those guys right out of the rest of the game.  So there's going to be a multiplicity of approaches to containing Gronk...and some of them may or may not be as smooth and polished as we'd like to see.

8 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Not gonna lie...the thing that worries me about Gronk more than AB, is that a lot of the problems we've had defensively have been the product of manufactured mismatches.  When we're talking AB vs either of our boundary corners, i always felt reasonably safe (even if he did make some spectacular grabs for TDs against Bouye).  That's a matchup that's just going to happen and i'm absolutely comfortable with it on pretty much every snap.

When it comes to a guy like Gronk...i'm less confident.  Especially with Gip potentially injured/out/less than 100%.  We're not just going to glue Telvin/Jack to Gronk and call it a day...you can't run a successful defense like that.  You'd be letting Bill do exactly what he wants in that.  Can't take those guys right out of the rest of the game.  So there's going to be a multiplicity of approaches to containing Gronk...and some of them may or may not be as smooth and polished as we'd like to see.

You’re not wrong.

My point was that people keep pointing to how the Steelers hung 42 on our defense and not recognizing that 7 was garbage time as the clock hit :01, 14 was a biproduct of the best receiver in football making insane plays against perfect coverage, another 7 was on a 4th down prayer that a receiver slipped past the coverage, and another 7 was due to the best receiving back making a play on pretty much perfect coverage.

28 of those points scored were fluke points. Not in the sense that the Steelers were lucky to score them (the final 7 they were), but that in 95% of situations, a player cannot make those plays against the coverage they saw. AB is an elite player that does things no one else can. The same for Bell. The Patriots do not have those players. They have players that can do things and win matchups and score points, but pointing to the Steelers game as an example of what the Patriots would be capable of doing is just missing the point of how the Steelers found their success.

The 49ers or Rams games are a much better representation of what the Patriots could do on offense against us than the Steelers game was. 

16 hours ago, iPwn said:

You are calling it poor analysis because you are making facts up.  What sparked it was the Pats beating the Titans where it looked like the Titans just aren't a good team and yet they beat the Jags twice.  The Jags defense didn't look good against the Steelers.  I don't recall saying Pats will take this Jags defense to task.

IMO Pats will score in mid to high 20's (possibly more).  AB and Le'veon are amazing talents but Pats have a better offense than the Steelers.  Pats have the highest scoring offense in NFL this year ( 2nd overall in total points scored).  I think this is a reasonable expectation.

IMO Blake Bottles can't lead the Jags offense to 20+ points vs the Pats (best NFL defense since week 5).  It's this matchup I'm even more confident in.  Turnovers, great special teams, and the defense having its best game possible I believe are needed for Jags to have a chance.

As far as Gronk goes, he makes every bit the insane catchs AB makes.  But to answer the question of which one would be better for the Jags it's Gronk and it's not close.  Gronk would do wonders for Bortles and the running game.  Gronk has the biggest catch radius in the game.  He's a red zone nightmare and opens it up for the other receivers.  My fantasy team I'm taking AB 100 out of 100 times. In real football, In taking Gronk but it's close and depends on the QB.

21 hours ago, VegasOdds101 said:

Offensively,  Pittsburgh supposedly had a bad day and still out up 42.  Individually, the Steelers have some more talented offensive players than the Patriots.  But the Patriots have more depth, better QB, and better gameplannning.  

No - this is what sparked that discussion about the plays AB made to allow the Steelers to score 42. It has nothing to do with the Titans.

Archived