AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME: Jacksonville Jaguars #3 @ New England Patriots #1: Bortles vs. Brady

.Buzz

1 minute ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

From that D to the D we have now. What a difference a couple of years make.

OL as well.

Cam Robinson has all the makings of a franchise LT. Omameh/Cann could be upgraded upon/bring in draft picks to push them and take over if things go poorly.

Gotta say, Cann has had his faults but he's really come on lately. Been pretty impressed. Omameh just bullied whoever they put across from him against PIT as well. Very impressed with this unit this year. Obviously need to improve the depth and maybe upgrade a spot here or there/get a successor for Parnell, but I really am not very worried about this unit right now looking at next year.

15 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Boston media continues to show it has no idea what it's talking about.

Just posting this stuff for laughs at this point.

First problem....taking anything Boston media says seriously. They do whatever they can to discredit the Patriots.

Second (larger) problem...taking anything Dan "Shank" Shaugnessy says seriously. He is a world class troll and has made a career off getting fanbases riled up. This "tomato can" "Patriots don't play anyone" thing has been his schtick for the couple seasons.

I wouldn't take what the Boston media says serious. Anyone who follows this team closely knows the Jaguars have the personnel to give this Patriot team trouble. I think the Patriots win, but it definitely won't be easy. I don't see Bortles and your offense doing enough to get the W. Unless he's provided short fields from takeaways, which is likely given your D.

Belichick is going to make you play left handed on offense. That is what he is known to do. By that, I mean, I can almost guarantee his game plan is going to focus around shutting down Fournette. He always focuses on taking away a teams "top weapon". Stopping Fournette and making you beat us throw the air/Blake's arm is the focus, IMO. Hot take and easier said, than done, I know.

Offensively, I really think the focus is going to be on our backs. I think we'll run the ball a ton and try to get Lewis, Burkhead (who should be good to go) and White involved in the passing game. Haven't watched a ton of Jaguars games this season, but I think that's where y'all are most susceptible. 

Should be a good one! I'm happy its at Gillette. 

The interesting thing about this matchup is that the Pats can and often do nickel and dime teams to death when it's called for.  They can play a "ball possession passing game", which can actually sort of match what we try to do in possessing the ball to keep that defense fresh and chomping at the bit.  Makes it hard to get home for the DLine because Brady won't hold the ball long, which isn't ideal...and they'll move people around to create mismatches and oddball sets (which is one of the only things that's given our defense real problems at times).  And they're absolutely content to run the football off that, or play the checkdown game with all those pass catching backs that will start to stretch the field horizontally (though our defense was remarkably disciplined in that against Bell last week).

It's going to be a serious challenge.  I have no doubt the guys are going to come to play, but when you're up against a devious feller like Bill...have to make sure to keep everything disciplined and in check with responsibilities...and be prepared to line up in some unusual ways and hopefully not give up those explosive plays due to breakdowns at those moments.

19 minutes ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

First problem....taking anything Boston media says seriously. They do whatever they can to discredit the Patriots.

Second (larger) problem...taking anything Dan "Shank" Shaugnessy says seriously. He is a world class troll and has made a career off getting fanbases riled up. This "tomato can" "Patriots don't play anyone" thing has been his schtick for the couple seasons.

I wouldn't take what the Boston media says serious. Anyone who follows this team closely knows the Jaguars have the personnel to give this Patriot team trouble. I think the Patriots win, but it definitely won't be easy. I don't see Bortles and your offense doing enough to get the W. Unless he's provided short fields from takeaways, which is likely given your D.

Belichick is going to make you play left handed on offense. That is what he is known to do. By that, I mean, I can almost guarantee his game plan is going to focus around shutting down Fournette. He always focuses on taking away a teams "top weapon". Stopping Fournette and making you beat us throw the air/Blake's arm is the focus, IMO. Hot take and easier said, than done, I know.

Offensively, I really think the focus is going to be on our backs. I think we'll run the ball a ton and try to get Lewis, Burkhead (who should be good to go) and White involved in the passing game. Haven't watched a ton of Jaguars games this season, but I think that's where y'all are most susceptible. 

Should be a good one! I'm happy its at Gillette. 

It'll be interesting to see just how heavily featured Fournette even is this week.

Obviously we're all hoping he's healthy and good to go 100%.  But the way he looked in the second half of that last game...he was gimpy and extremely far from full steam ahead.  If he's still halfway lame by gameday...i kinda wonder if they'll actually recognize that and start to shift the focus.  Ivory will probably be around to play that smash mouth role either way...but vs the Steelers, in the second half Yeldon was very clearly the more effective back.  He's also the guy we're likely to see more of if the Jaguars happen to end up chasing the score a bit.  And he has a completely different style of running and skillset from what you'd gameplan against in Fournette specifically.

I’ll just say... of the three Coughlin teams to play Brady in the playoffs, this is the most talented one. If this staff can channel Coughlin’s in game philosophy for this game, we have a real chance to win this.

This game is going to be on the o-lines ability to run the ball and its going to rely heavily on the d-line to dominate the Pats o-line. Honestly we haven't been playing that great up front lately with the exception of Malik, he has been dominate at times.. Campbell was really quiet against Pitt and the dline outside of Jackson and a flash here or there from Yannick hasn't been dominate. This is a game where they are going to have to have all hands on deck. They can't have dumb penalties, or get out coached they are going to have to be able to counter punch like last week. The Steelers game was the type of game that they needed to play in to prepare for this game on the road hostile territory, weapons galore, in a shootout, against an historic franchise. They have answered the bell every time when called as far as how they will respond. I'm starting to believe that this team is the type of team that is into slaying dragons and they have a point to prove. TB12 is an extension Beli the Jags have more talent but that isn't going to be enough they can't make mistakes like turnovers, dumb penalties, or coaching errors. The one test they have still yet to pass has been being down as a team they have yet to be down. This game we may get down how will Blake respond that part worries me because they have yet to do it.

14 hours ago, .Buzz said:

So because the Patriots beat the Titans and the Titans beat the Jaguars that means the Patriots will beat the Jaguars?

Ok...

No one is saying that the Patriots shouldn't be favored, but these articles are...bad.

Well I'm not disagreeing that they are bad but at some point a writer must run out of ideas when the team they cover is in the championship game every year.  This is how articles like these get written.

To answer your question:  if I was covering the Patriots and I just saw how bad the Titans were and the Jaguars were next and those terrible Titans beat them twice this year then yea it means the Jags have virtually no shot at winning this game.  Now me personally, I give the Jags about a 10% chance.......

12 minutes ago, VegasOdds101 said:

To answer your question:  if I was covering the Patriots and I just saw how bad the Titans were and the Jaguars were next and those terrible Titans beat them twice this year then yea it means the Jags have virtually no shot at winning this game.  Now me personally, I give the Jags about a 10% chance.......

This is downright awful analysis. I mean the Jaguars twice dismantled the Steelers who nearly beat the Pats *without Antonio Brown*. Does that mean the Pats have no shot?

28 minutes ago, iPwn said:

This is downright awful analysis. I mean the Jaguars twice dismantled the Steelers who nearly beat the Pats *without Antonio Brown*. Does that mean the Pats have no shot?

The dumbest thing about fans who watch from a rooting perspective don't put into account match ups, talent, and coaching in 2015 the Cowboys beat the Giants twice in the regular season and got their *** beat in the playoffs.. reg season football is different from post season football a lot variable go into why teams perform. Titans had to perform they were fighting for their lives they barely won the deserved to get in but you're playing someone that already knows that they're in.. if they are a good team they had to scratch and claw to get in but how much were the Jags willing to risk to keep them out it really wasn't worth it. 

Archived