AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME: Jacksonville Jaguars #3 @ New England Patriots #1: Bortles vs. Brady

.Buzz

Best defense in football since week 5. We should've got obliterated by the Steelers.

Don't feed the troll. No other way he can say this unless it's blind homerism or he's trying to get a response (as he's getting). I'd just move on guys. 

1 hour ago, DuvalsKing said:

The Jags are suppose to lose so what happens if they win.. Pats fans gotta live with the GOAT being beat by Bortles.. I'm sure Jags fans can live with being beat by the GOAT. But can the Pats fans handle being beat by Blake Bortles? That would be the bigger question.

They will not lose to Blake Bortles. If they lose, it'll be because of the Jags D and it will take a couple takeaways.

Just now, .Buzz said:

Just like the Steelers wouldn't get beat by Blake?

I actually said the Jaguars had a good chance of winning that game.

And like I said, it'd be the defense (turnovers, they created two against the Steelers) and the run game that beats the Patriots. The Jaguars didn't beat the Steelers on the back of Blake Bortles. He did just enough.

1) Pittsburgh refused to play tight man to man coverage. A lot of Bortles throws were to open receivers, weren't really tough and contested catches. Tomlin is known for a lack of in-game adjustments and stubbornness. Belichick, exactly the opposite.

2) Offense was in large part the running game. I can almost guarantee this is the focus of Belichick's game plan. He's going to force Bortles to beat the Patriots through the air, I have my doubts he's capable of that.

Not trying to come in here and say the Jaguars have no chance. They definitely do. If the Jaguars pull off the upset, it'll because the defense creates a couple turnovers and the Patriots can't slow down Fournette. Both are entirely possible.

4 minutes ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

And like I said, it'd be the defense (turnovers, they created two against the Steelers) and the run game that beats the Patriots. The Jaguars didn't beat the Steelers on the back of Blake Bortles. He did just enough.

1) Pittsburgh refused to play tight man to man coverage. A lot of Bortles throws were to open receivers, weren't really tough and contested catches. Tomlin is known for a lack of in-game adjustments and stubbornness. Belichick, exactly the opposite.

2) Offense was in large part the running game. I can almost guarantee this is the focus of Belichick's game plan. He's going to force Bortles to beat the Patriots through the air, I have my doubts he's capable of that.

Not trying to come in here and say the Jaguars have no chance. They definitely do. If the Jaguars pull off the upset, it'll because the defense creates a couple turnovers and the Patriots can't slow down Fournette. Both are entirely possible.

So because a defense forces a couple turnovers the win can't be related to Blake at all?

Blake played an enormous hand in winning the Steelers game. Came out to a fast start that was largely through the air. When they started to come back in the 2nd half that was all Bortles. 

You can pick apart what the Steelers did or didn't do but fact of the matter is he won us that game in the 2nd half.

15 minutes ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

This team doesn't care about team prestige how many times your organization has won titles.. whoever wants it more will win.. but Sunday you will see what a group of hungry individuals looks like I promise. If Brady wins it won't be by more then 4 he's going to have to pull out an end a game drive to beat this team.

3 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

This team doesn't care about team prestige how many times your organization has won titles.. whoever wants it more will win.. but Sunday you will see what a group of hungry individuals looks like I promise. If Brady wins it won't be by more then 4 he's going to have to pull out an end a game drive to beat this team.

When did I say they did? Lol

Playoff experience doesn’t mean anything.

Team building is an upward process. You gut a roster, then begin adding pieces. For the overwhelming majority of teams, you get to the playoffs when you’re pretty good, but not good enough to beat a gauntlet of elite teams. But then as a roster develops and continues to add pieces, they get more and more capable of beating teams that way. So it comes across as appearing to need experience to win, when the reality is that you need more talent.

The Jaguars situation is an abnormality. They had the - statistically speaking - second worst coach in NFL history guiding a team through their rebuild for four years. Had that not been the case, they would have won enough games to get their “playoff experience” at least one of the three previous years. The 2015 team probably should have been one of those “get your playoff experience” teams, but the Gus situation prevented that from happening. Instead, they got 4 years of talent collection that went unnoticed in the trajectory of wins. So this year, they get a new coach, add a DPOY candidate and an All Pro to the team, their talent that had been waiting and collecting were able to break out; Jalen becomes a DPOY candidate, Ngakoue becomes a premier pass rusher, Fowler becomes the guy Ngakoue used to be, Telvin goes from really good to elite, Jack becomes a force, and then they add some pieces elsewhere to shore up holes.

This isn’t a traditional “first year playoff team” and people need to stop acting like it is.

1 hour ago, iPwn said:

Good box score scouting. Maybe actually watch what happened in the game next time.

Try again.

Yeah, that’s why Brown missed 2 and a half games and still had 500 more yards and 1 more TD than Gronk, right?

Do you know they held two different 21 point leads in that game? Do you know that Ben has never, not once in his entire career, come back from down 21? Yes, they played lax once they jumped out to a huge lead. Because they could. Look at the coverages they ran throughout the game and please show me how the aggression on coverages were even close to the same in the second half as the were in the first half.

Those three losses? Mark Sanchez and Joe Flacco twice. Flacco threw for 34 yards in one of the wins. But sure, Blake has no chance.

First off moderators generally don't get involved in smacktalk, so kudos to you.....

Now back to the good stuff:

Watched every second of that game and loved every minute of it and believe it or not think the Jags are a tougher matchup for Pats than Steelers.  IDK, I guess we differ.  I don't consider a scoop and score and then a terrible onside kick for another free 3 points meaning the Jags obliterating the Steelers when they only won by 3 points.  Apparently no one in Jacksonville including their team didn't watch last year's Super Bowl, you never go lax in playoffs....of course I don't believe for a second they went lax.

Secondly, and I'm sorry in advance but this one us gonna hurt: that screenshot is not showing all time best pass defenses, it's just comparing this year's Jags verse that perceived best defenses post 1978.   I'll be kind and let you figure out the rest on that one......

So comparing a TE stats to WR stats? Really?  You do realize TEs even on some passing plays stay in to block right? You do realize Gronk also sat out two games and wasn't used in the final game just so you know.  Gronk, by some in the know, is considered hardest to cover ever, the TE GOAT.  Jags will have to full time double cover him and he will still get his.  If this isn't already known in every household I don't know what to tell you?

Sanchez and Flacco...hence the 10%

2 minutes ago, VegasOdds101 said:

IDK, I guess we differ.  I don't consider a scoop and score and then a terrible onside kick for another free 3 points meaning the Jags obliterating the Steelers when they only won by 3 points. 

And I don’t consider an aggressive defense going lax with a 21 point lead to be their true identity.

4 minutes ago, VegasOdds101 said:

So comparing a TE stats to WR stats? Really?  You do realize TEs even on some passing plays stay in to block right?

Will Gronk not be doing that in this game, against the most productive front 4 in football?On an average game, AB puts up production 150% that of Gronk. You can argue Gronk is “better” if you want, but he’s generally held in check far more so than Brown is.

5 minutes ago, iPwn said:

And I don’t consider an aggressive defense going lax with a 21 point lead to be their true identity.

Will Gronk not be doing that in this game, against the most productive front 4 in football?On an average game, AB puts up production 150% that of Gronk. You can argue Gronk is “better” if you want, but he’s generally held in check far more so than Brown is.

Who would you rather have?  I don't mean for your fantasy team for your Jags?

Archived