Coaching staff vacancies

amazingandre

We don't have a RB coach, ST coach, Secondary coach and a strength coach. Rumor has it that McDaniels is on his way to Tennessee and Vrabel is likely to land the Colts job, so DC may be a position we need. Not to mention Sean Ryan was up for OC jobs, nothing as of yet, which would leave our QB coach open and we still don't have an OC.

I think making a move for Mike Mularkey to be OC/OL coach would be great for us. I wouldn't let him call plays, let OB continue to do that, but he will help our line and run game tremendously.

Any other suggestions for RB and ST coaches?

I don't even know who to root for in the McDaniels "race."   I did like that Mularkey was like a "governor" on the Titans offense (yes, keep playing Murray and Decker over Henry and Davis, thanks Mike) ensuring it never got going too fast, so sorry to see him go.  I wonder if Chip Kelly can find a way to actually get salaries from 3 ex-employers next season and bolt UCLA before he starts (something Belichick did to the Jets).  Say what you will about McDaniels' Broncos run, as Pats OC he has absolutely OWNED O'Brien and RAC/Vrabel so having him in the division is going to stink even if Luck or Mariota never turn into 75% of what Brady is. 

I don't understand the hype with Vrabel as he may be a great motivator and can coach up LBs, but as a gameplanner and X's and O's guy he was AWFUL last year, so how is he supposed to tackle even more responsibility.  I get the QB guru trendiness, but if you want a good LB attitude guy, go get Jack Del Rio who at least knows how to do the job for a few years, then hire Vrabel in a year or two when he's actually qualified.  Or maybe, get a guy who can get your franchise player back on course because nothing else matters until you do.  I know it's got to be tough to say "no" to an NFL head coaching gig if asked, but I think it would actually be a bad career move for Vrabel to go to Indy who might have the worst roster in the NFL and are going to need more than a rah rah guy, even if Luck returns to health.  It was kind of hilarious to me that Irsay brought in my Baylor HC Matt Rhule* despite him being over his head last year as if he just googled "hot young coaches" and the only results he could find were articles written BEFORE last season (aka Rhule's 1-11, Vrabel's 4-12).  

* (FWIW - I think he'll be a decent HC in a few years if he ditches his bro-coordinators and learns to adjust to the talent...and shaves his neck)

2 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

If Vrabel gets hired as Colts HC RAC will definitely be the DC again. If not then Pagano wouldnt be a bad fall back option. 

Funny, Secondary coach John Butler was a "hot" DC name before last season, yet he gets fired and Vrabel is still the "it guy." 

No thanks on Pagano, but he did send a concussed Jacoby Brissett back into a game and cut his best defensive player (Vontae Davis) because he needed groin surgery, so O'Brien should love him.  Of course, he outcoached O'Brien's offense twice this season, so our standards are pretty low. 

Never been a fan of his as a head coach, but Jack Del Rio was a solid DC in Denver (albeit, a dirty one) and if Vrabel is gone, we need to replace the run through a brick wall mentality to go with Crennel's cerebral approach.  We could do worse than John Fox as DC, but I'd be terrified the Texans might promote him if O'Brien ever gets fired.  Neither are my first choices, but I don't think just sticking Crennel back in there will cut it as it's not like he had any answers in the secondary either and frankly I'd like to see a bit more "fire" in the defense like back in the Bulls on Parade Barwin years.

Jerry Gray was once the "Vance Jackson" hot young "position coach to head coach" candidate before making the bizarre decision to go coach UT secondary for a season then quit before he started.  Has been secondary coach in Minny the past 3 seasons and while they have incredible talent back there he's maximized it and gotten lesser guys like Sendejo to step up, fixed Trae Waynes, and knows the right way to still get contributions from Terence Newman which could be a model for Joseph.  I'd love to see us hire a guy who's expertise is the secondary as DC because it's a heck of a lot harder to find quality safeties and corners than linebackers.  IIRC Gray was actually a finalist before we hired Kubiak, but he's had 5 HC interviews, but the sadly the Rooney Rule makes it tough to judge which were legit interest.  For my money - he's a guy we need to go get and frankly having him here would likely help attract FA interest because there isn't a starting #1CB on this roster and you don't find rookie starters in the 3rd round and the Saints just showed the dangers of even good rookie safeties this week. 

28 minutes ago, OzzyTexan said:

Source tells @SportingNews that former @packers secondary coach Darren Perry is interviewing for same position with @HoustonTexans

If that increases our odds of getting Morgan Burnett as SS, I'm all for it.  IMO Burnett should be our #1 FA target.  Dude is everything this secondary has been missing for years as a speedy safety who has CB cover skills and smarts as he even calls the Packers plays (rare for a S).  Packers are staring at some cap issues and Burnett ain't coming cheap, so we have a legit chance and having a coach who knows how to use him would be nice considering our whiffs on FA safeties lately.  The Packers secondary was held together with duct tape this season with Burnett and Dix the only ones left standing most weeks, so not going to hold that against Perry.  Burnett played everywhere including CB which would be a pleasant change from our LB speed and special teamer talent back there since Daniel Manning's prime.

Some Suggestions - 

Offensive Coordinator Jim Caldwell (DET)

Offensive Coordinator Darrell Bevell (SEA)

Offensive Coordinator Al Saunders (CLE)

Running Backs Eric Studesville (DEN)

Defensive Coordinator / Secondary Kris Richard (SEA)

Defensive Coordinator / Secondary Chuck Pagano (IND)

Secondary Coach Aubrey Pleasant (LAR)

Secondary Coach Steve Jackson (TN)

Secondary Coach Darren Perry (GB)

Secondary Coach Jason Simmons (GB)

Special Teams Raymond Ventrone (NE)

Special Teams Rod Wilson (KC)

Special Teams Tyrone McKenzie (LAR)

Special Teams Wes Welker

Special Teams Heath Farwell (SEA)

14 hours ago, OzzyTexan said:

Source tells @SportingNews that former @packers secondary coach Darren Perry is interviewing for same position with @HoustonTexans

I remember him as a player - Perry, Carnell Lake and Rod Woodson were pretty dominant for the Steelers in the 90s. 

Not that it's an indicator of whether or not he's a good coach, mind you.

13 hours ago, Apollo Stallion said:

If that increases our odds of getting Morgan Burnett as SS, I'm all for it.  IMO Burnett should be our #1 FA target.  Dude is everything this secondary has been missing for years as a speedy safety who has CB cover skills and smarts as he even calls the Packers plays (rare for a S).  Packers are staring at some cap issues and Burnett ain't coming cheap, so we have a legit chance and having a coach who knows how to use him would be nice considering our whiffs on FA safeties lately.  The Packers secondary was held together with duct tape this season with Burnett and Dix the only ones left standing most weeks, so not going to hold that against Perry.  Burnett played everywhere including CB which would be a pleasant change from our LB speed and special teamer talent back there since Daniel Manning's prime.

This feels like an Apollodamus call, @Apollo Stallion...

2 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Burnett would be an upgrade, but I wouldnt give him big money. 

Hes 29 and coming off a 4 year 24 million deal, and he knows this is his last big contract. I think that will drive his price up. 

I think hes gonna want something like 4 years 30 million with 18 million in guaranteed money. I think that might be a little too much unless we dont land a top notch CB. 

7 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Gotta admit, I feel like I've kind of lost my touch lately, but I feel like it's more because the answers usually lie somewhere between "what they should do" and "what they will do" and now "what is the worst thing they could do" has become the new normal.  Gutekunst and Dorsey were the two GM candidates I mentioned way back in September in the O'Brien Hot Seat Thread along with predicting Thompson would get booted.  I also mentioned Elliot Wolf and Highsmith back then who are now Dorsey's top lieutenants in Cleve.  I still think my take on Rick Smith being fired and the family/leave of absence just being a PR ruse was correct, but I gotta admit they are making me second guess that because I'm starting to believe they may actually be that weak. It wouldn't be the first time they ruined one of my predictions with ridiculously poor management as I called D. Brown holding out until week 8 and us not giving him a dime, but letting him holdout half a season and then trading him with a then "supposedly" healthy Deshaun Watson was just too stupid to fathom. 

Of course, there was also I post I made last year that if things broke right (wrong actually) we could be staring at a 4-12 collapse.  Granted, much like the real Nostrodamus I tend to have alot of hot takes like that and I'm sure I also threw out some 9-7/7-9 predictions to hedge, but I've been on this Rick Smith secondary/o-line pending collapse for several seasons now while most we're just obsessed with QB.  Kind of funny that the Jags just might make it to a Super Bowl with Bortles and defense and one of the Eagles/Vikings will have Foles or Keenum starting the Super Bowl.  No, I didn't predict Watson's amazing impact and O'Brien's shocking ability to not waste him with off tackle runs, but I did warn that he wasn't going to survive long behind this o-line and that Savage's glass-like durability made him a horrible backup and that we needed to go out and find TWO capable backups (sho nuff another 4 QB season). 

23 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I remember him as a player - Perry, Carnell Lake and Rod Woodson were pretty dominant for the Steelers in the 90s. 

Not that it's an indicator of whether or not he's a good coach, mind you.

Asked a Packers fan on twitter about Perry. He said he should have been their DC but they kept keeping Capers. I take that as a good thing.  Wouldnt be a bad hire for O'Brien.

Archived