Nacho Simulation Football League (S15 - Taco Bowl XV POSTED!)

TheKillerNacho

41 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

It's stupid how long Derrick Morgan lasted compared to other linebackers / edge players taken rounds ahead of him. I was ready to draft him this round just out of pure value.

That's why I took Reggie Nelson last round. I have no need for him, and he'll just rot on my practice squad. But he shouldn't have fallen that far.

3 minutes ago, MookieMonster said:
2 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

It's stupid how long Derrick Morgan lasted compared to other linebackers / edge players taken rounds ahead of him. I was ready to draft him this round just out of pure value.

Well hes not that good, so theres that.

It's okay to be wrong.

Derrick Morgan [11 GS]: 42 tackles (3 stuffs), 6 coverages, 3 sacks.
Derrick Morgan [16 GS]: 64 tackles (10 stuffs), 6 coverages, 5 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 1 recovery.

Whitney Mercilus [0 GS]
Whitney Mercilus [7 GS]: 39 tackles (5 stuffs), 1 coverage, 3 sacks.

Those were from the past two seasons. Guess which player had 7.5 sacks in 2017 and 9 sacks in 2016, and which player had 1 sack last year and 7.5 sacks in 2016. Then factor in that Morgan missed 2 games, whereas Mercilus missed 11. Then factor that Derrick Morgan just got drafted in the 14th round, whereas Whitney Mercilus got drafted in the 8th.

I told you back when you took Mercilus that there were better edge players available. Morgan was one of them.

But by all means, continue to think otherwise. I love seeing division opponents do that.

3 hours ago, Gmen4ev said:

Hindsight 20/20 though. At the time it was one franchise setting themselves up for long term success. The other setting themselves up for a one and done.

But now we can look back and see that if I hadn't won the chip it would have been two franchises wasting mounds and mounds of resources.

Thankfully it never came to that. I won a chip and in turn killed my franchise for 3 seasons (s13-15). But id gladly trade away 3 seasons for a championship. Especially given I got Romo a chip as well.

I mean if you're truly building for the future. You should only trade for picks in the rookie draft years, go heavy on rookies and then keep em as long as possible. 

Otherwise you're trying to draft keepers from a pool of players others have not deemed worthy of keeping and that's not going to lead to good places.

52 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

It's okay to be wrong.

Derrick Morgan [11 GS]: 42 tackles (3 stuffs), 6 coverages, 3 sacks.
Derrick Morgan [16 GS]: 64 tackles (10 stuffs), 6 coverages, 5 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 1 recovery.

Whitney Mercilus [0 GS]
Whitney Mercilus [7 GS]: 39 tackles (5 stuffs), 1 coverage, 3 sacks.

Those were from the past two seasons. Guess which player had 7.5 sacks in 2017 and 9 sacks in 2016, and which player had 1 sack last year and 7.5 sacks in 2016. Then factor in that Morgan missed 2 games, whereas Mercilus missed 11. Then factor that Derrick Morgan just got drafted in the 14th round, whereas Whitney Mercilus got drafted in the 8th.

I told you back when you took Mercilus that there were better edge players available. Morgan was one of them.

But by all means, continue to think otherwise. I love seeing division opponents do that.

lol so if you double Mercilus stats from 7 games (which would still leave him 2 games short of 16) he'd have 78 tackles (10 stuffs), 2 coverages, 6 sacks.

Which means he out performed both of Morgans seasons. Certainly not elite but better than Morgan, and Mercilus is IMO clearly the better player who just can't stay healthy. Morgan isn't good. PFF grades Mercilus at 84.9, 87.8 and 75.1 the last 3 seasons. Morgan was 68.1, 78.8 and 74.8. Mercilus was also top 10 in pass rush productivity in both 2015 and 2016, he was 3rd in 2015 for run stop % and 10th in 2016.

...so yes, it IS okay to be wrong.

23 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

I mean if this was after the 2015 or even 2016 season, I'd agree. But not sure why you putting so much weight into 1. Meaningless pure PFF grades and 2. Going backwards with the years in terms of importance. Last year yeah I'd rate him above. After 2017? Nah son.

He was hurt for a majority of the season, played well when he was on the field. I think hell be fine. Morgan has 1 bad season, and 1 average season and 1 decent season to base his rating on...Mercilus has 2 great seasons and 1 bad/injured season.

Ill take my chances on the guy whos proven to be a better player.

48 minutes ago, khodder said:

I mean if you're truly building for the future. You should only trade for picks in the rookie draft years, go heavy on rookies and then keep em as long as possible. 

Otherwise you're trying to draft keepers from a pool of players others have not deemed worthy of keeping and that's not going to lead to good places.

Fair