War's offseason mock

warfelg

Ok I'm going full offseason mode here with a plan:

CUTS -

I'm starting with Mike Mitchell.  His cap figure is $8,135,418, cutting him means a hit of $1,763,750.

I'm also cutting Vance McDonald.  He was far too often hurt, and ends up saving us $4,318,750.

Also on my chopping block are Willie Gay, and Coty Sensabaugh.  Their cap hits are reduced to $633,334 and $212,500 respectively.

So far I have saved us $13,840,418.

I'm also cutting Ramon Foster, reducing his hit from $3,591,668 to $916,668.

Total savings in cuts:

$16,515,418

TRADES -

This might get some blowback....but I'm trading Marcus Gilbert to Buffalo for a 4th round pick.  They need OT help, and we showed to still be effective without him.  This would save us another $3,966,500.

We now have $20,481,918 in cap room.

RESTRUCTURES -

I'm not a huge fan of these, but I'm willing to do it with Tuitt and Heyward.  This would end up saving us another $8,558,000 on the cap.

That would give us $32,507,966 in cap room.

Add in roll over cap: $36,976,014 in cap space.

OUR OWN FREE AGENTS -

I'm keeping Leveon Bell around.  I'm going to do a 5 year $60 mil deal with $26mil in guaranteed money in the first 3 years.  Most money in incentives for yards, playoffs, and games played.  Year 1 cap hit at $10,000,000.

I've also kept Nix, Boswell, Berry, Finney, Canaday, Hilton around at their ERFA/RFA prices, projecting about $615,000 for each one (using 2017 numbers, which I know are not exact.

Going into FA we would have ~$22 million in cap space.

I'm going to set aside our draft amount, and leave going into FA with $18,817,966

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENCY -

I've got 3 main targets:

Nigel Bradham, 4-3 OLB, Philadelphia.  Nigel filled in for Hicks amazingly this past year.  Top notch run defender and not a slouch in pass defense either.  He's a great player to get in here and compete and likely start at ILB.

Trey Burton, TE, Philadelphia.  Yes, I'm going across the state again.  Trey has been a bit of a forgotten man behind Ertz and Celeck in Philly, but this guy is really athletic and can beat the seam very well.  He's going to be the #2 to Jesse James

Todd Davis, ILB, Denver.  Another LB to come in and really give us some sideline to sideline ability.  This guy came in for Danny Trevathain in Denver and didn't miss a beat.  Again, he's going in as a starter at ILB right away.

Nickell Robey-Coleman, DB, LA Rams.  He's been a bit of a bust at CB, but he plays the ball well and is a willing tackler.  So here's my risk of the offseason.  Switch Robey-Coleman to FS over here.  Get him on a cheap 3 year deal.

Year 1 salary cap hits:

Bradham - $5,000,000

Burton - $3,000,000

Davis - $6,750,000

Robey-Coleman - $1,500,000

CAP REMAINING - $2,567,966 (Already set aside cap for draft)

NFL DRAFT -

So we've got some needs taken care of in terms of ILB, S, TE2.  We still got to look at OLB, LB depth, CB, S, and RT.

ROUND 1 - Mike McGlinchey OT Notre Dame - The trade of Gilbert opened up space at RT, and McGlinchey is a solid guy at that position.

ROUND 2 - Justin Reid FS Stanford.  Younger brother of 9ers FS Eric Reid.  Solid coverage FS.  Long, and somewhat rangy.  Good guy to battle with Robey-Coleman for the FS spot.

ROUND 3 - Lorenzo Carter OLB Georgia.  I'm going to be all over him.  I really like his situational pass rush ability.  Could be a nice long term rotational player in the 3rd.

ROUND 4 - Marquis Haynes OLB/DE Mizzu.  Extra competition.  I see him as a OLB who can end up really setting the edge against the run.

ROUND 5 - Adonis Alexander CB Virginia Tech.  He's a junior which Tomlin likes.  Could be a developmental player.

ROUND 5 - Maea Teuhema OG LSU.  LSU is a strong running team year after year, and with the release of Foster, we're going to need some backup players in there.

ROUND 7 - Akrum Wadley, RB, Iowa.  All purpose player.  Can return kicks and punts.  Big time change of pace guy without being "small".

They’re not breaking up the OL...especially trading Gilbert.

Very small chance they cut Foster and put in Finney but Hubbard is a FA and trading Gilbert for cap room makes little sense.

You can cut Wilcox instead.

Would like to sign a solid vet at ILB or FS.

Burton will be starting somewhere and will get a contract at least $5mill AAV...

Bell was offered more $$$ last offseason than the one you’re proposing...it won’t work.

1 hour ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

They’re not breaking up the OL...especially trading Gilbert.

Very small chance they cut Foster and put in Finney but Hubbard is a FA and trading Gilbert for cap room makes little sense.

I think they should do it, and I spent a 1st round pick on an OT who would be All-Pro in the NFL at RT in my scouting.

You can cut Wilcox instead.

He's a decent ST player.

Would like to sign a solid vet at ILB or FS.

That's what Bradham and Davis are.

Burton will be starting somewhere and will get a contract at least $5mill AAV...

I don't think he will.  He's a 3rd TE without much tape to prove a starting role.   And not showing AAV, showing year 1 cap hit.

Bell was offered more $$$ last offseason than the one you’re proposing...it won’t work.

Similar structure, I upped the guaranteed money though.  That's the most for any RB in the NFL.

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

I think they should do it, and I spent a 1st round pick on an OT who would be All-Pro in the NFL at RT in my scouting.

He's a decent ST player.

That's what Bradham and Davis are.

I don't think he will.  He's a 3rd TE without much tape to prove a starting role.   And not showing AAV, showing year 1 cap hit.

Similar structure, I upped the guaranteed money though.  That's the most for any RB in the NFL.

Your trading an upper tier RT for cap relief....creating a hole...then using a 1st rd pick to replace him at a spot where it was already a strength. The Steelers will not replace 2/5 of their strongest unit. Plus they only save $2.3 mill in trading Gilbert.

Cutting Wilcox can save $2.5 mill...he didn’t get snaps on Def towards end of season IIRC...he’s most likely gone.

My ILB comment was just an overall thought.

TE a wasteland and he showed ability in limited time...he’s gonna start somewhere next year for more $$$$ than you think.

They were already offering $42 mill over 1st 3 seasons last offseason...not sure how much better they can get.

Not being a ———...just don’t think the Steelers will do what you seem to want them to do.

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

Ok I'm going full offseason mode here with a plan:

CUTS -

I'm starting with Mike Mitchell.  His cap figure is $8,135,418, cutting him means a hit of $1,763,750.

Can we cut him more than once?   

I'm also cutting Vance McDonald.  He was far too often hurt, and ends up saving us $4,318,750.

Definitely have to cut him at that number....but wouldnt mind looking to bring him back cheaper if he is willing.

Also on my chopping block are Willie Gay, and Coty Sensabaugh.  Their cap hits are reduced to $633,334 and $212,500 respectively.

Yeah.   Id rather go younger if we are going to have two mediocre CBs with limited impact ability.    At least the younger guys have upside.

I'm also cutting Ramon Foster, reducing his hit from $3,591,668 to $916,668.

Im on board.   Finney is better.

TRADES -

This might get some blowback....but I'm trading Marcus Gilbert to Buffalo for a 4th round pick.  They need OT help, and we showed to still be effective without him.  This would save us another $3,966,500.

Haha....in another thread, I was going to suggest just cutting him....so this is better.

I thought Hubbard played pretty damn well, surprisingly.

Ill honestly kill anyone who tries to take Munch from us....especially Arizona, who seemingly cant hire a coach that isnt a former Steelers coach.

OUR OWN FREE AGENTS -

I'm keeping Leveon Bell around.  I'm going to do a 5 year $60 mil deal with $26mil in guaranteed money in the first 3 years.  Most money in incentives for yards, playoffs, and games played.  Year 1 cap hit at $10,000,000.

Pretty sure Lev turned down and offer similar to that last offseason, and his stock has only went up.

At the very least, you'd have to add another $10m to both the base salary and bonus.

That offer would cause him to test FA, where he would undoubtedly cost more.

He clearly cares more about money than anything else, and honestly, I dont blame him.  RBs have a short shelf life, and this might be his only big deal.

Best I can see is us clearing out space and tagging him again for $14mil or so.    Wouldnt mind slapping a non exclusive franchise tag on him and seeing if a team bites for 2 first rounders....which I doubt.     Or maybe, see if a team would be willing to trade ONE first or maybe a good player for him,      Just a crazy idea....maybe the Seahawks decide they need to get Wilson some help, and offer Earl Thomas and a 3rd round pick for Bell.    Not gonna happen, but just an example of a trade like that.

I've also kept Nix, Boswell, Berry, Finney, Canaday, Hilton around at their ERFA/RFA prices, projecting about $615,000 for each one (using 2017 numbers, which I know are not exact.

If we lose Bell, I would attempt to sign Boz long term this year.   Get it out of the way.

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENCY -

I've got 3 main targets:

Nigel Bradham, 4-3 OLB, Philadelphia.  Nigel filled in for Hicks amazingly this past year.  Top notch run defender and not a slouch in pass defense either.  He's a great player to get in here and compete and likely start at ILB.

Trey Burton, TE, Philadelphia.  Yes, I'm going across the state again.  Trey has been a bit of a forgotten man behind Ertz and Celeck in Philly, but this guy is really athletic and can beat the seam very well.  He's going to be the #2 to Jesse James

Todd Davis, ILB, Denver.  Another LB to come in and really give us some sideline to sideline ability.  This guy came in for Danny Trevathain in Denver and didn't miss a beat.  Again, he's going in as a starter at ILB right away.

Nickell Robey-Coleman, DB, LA Rams.  He's been a bit of a bust at CB, but he plays the ball well and is a willing tackler.  So here's my risk of the offseason.  Switch Robey-Coleman to FS over here.  Get him on a cheap 3 year deal.

I could get on board with all of these, although not sure how much money  it would take to get all 3.

Year 1 salary cap hits:

Bradham - $5,000,000

Burton - $3,000,000

Davis - $6,750,000

Robey-Coleman - $1,500,000

Seems a little optimistic, but not impossible.

CAP REMAINING - $2,567,966 (Already set aside cap for draft)

NFL DRAFT -

So we've got some needs taken care of in terms of ILB, S, TE2.  We still got to look at OLB, LB depth, CB, S, and RT.

ROUND 1 - Mike McGlinchey OT Notre Dame - The trade of Gilbert opened up space at RT, and McGlinchey is a solid guy at that position.

Sorry, but I hate this.    Id rather just keep Gilbert or roll with Hubbard who wasnt bad filling in.

Its not even that I dislike the player....I just dont want to draft an OT early.    Thats not going to help us next year.

ROUND 2 - Justin Reid FS Stanford.  Younger brother of 9ers FS Eric Reid.  Solid coverage FS.  Long, and somewhat rangy.  Good guy to battle with Robey-Coleman for the FS spot.

Dont like Eric Reid, but I wont judge this guy based on him.     At the very least, I like the position.

ROUND 3 - Lorenzo Carter OLB Georgia.  I'm going to be all over him.  I really like his situational pass rush ability.  Could be a nice long term rotational player in the 3rd.

I like him....not so much as a 3rd rounder.

ROUND 4 - Marquis Haynes OLB/DE Mizzu.  Extra competition.  I see him as a OLB who can end up really setting the edge against the run.

ROUND 5 - Adonis Alexander CB Virginia Tech.  He's a junior which Tomlin likes.  Could be a developmental player.

ROUND 5 - Maea Teuhema OG LSU.  LSU is a strong running team year after year, and with the release of Foster, we're going to need some backup players in there.

ROUND 7 - Akrum Wadley, RB, Iowa.  All purpose player.  Can return kicks and punts.  Big time change of pace guy without being "small".

I can definitely get on board with all the positions.

RB will be a need earlier or in free agency if we lose Bell.

17 minutes ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

Cutting Wilcox can save $2.5 mill...he didn’t get snaps on Def towards end of season IIRC...he’s most likely gone.

Yeah, this needs to happen as well.

Your trading an upper tier RT for cap relief....creating a hole...then using a 1st rd pick to replace him at a spot where it was already a strength. The Steelers will not replace 2/5 of their strongest unit. Plus they only save $2.3 mill in trading Gilbert.

We did just fine without Gilbert alot of this year.    No notable drop off in Hubbard.

Finney is better than Foster.

I agree  it probably WONT happen, but these are easily the two most expendable players.   Didnt think Gilbert would be, but I wasnt that impressed with him this year even when he was on the field.  

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

1st round pick McGlinchey.

So you make a hole that your are forced to fill?  And your backup plan is Hawkins or Matt Feller if McGlinchey fails.  If they had the face palm icon I would use it.

I would bring in 5 UFA punters and get a decent one.  Berry sucked

4 minutes ago, jebrick said:

So you make a hole that your are forced to fill?  And your backup plan is Hawkins or Matt Feller if McGlinchey fails.  If they had the face palm icon I would use it.

I would bring in 5 UFA punters and get a decent one.  Berry sucked

No, IMO I'm replacing a guy who showed he can be replaced (mind you if Manchuk stays), with someone who will save us cap over the next few years.

The reason it was proven he can be replaced is because Hubbard played decent in his stead....so why not give him a shot, bring in a cheap FA to compete and maybe draft a guy later?     

Im on board with potentially moving on from Gilbert....but only if its done right.   If we are just moving him and drafting his replacement in the first round, Im against that.  Yes, it saves cap space, but  it also takes away our first round pick to replace him.    Im not down with that.

Give Hubbard a chance and use that first round pick on a DB or pass rusher.....or an ILB depending what happens in free agency.   

Marquis Haynes is from Ole Missbut will NOT help set the edge.  He sucks against the run but has the most explosive first step I've seen in awhile.  He's an instant impact player as a situational pass rusher.

I'd resign Hubbard rather than drafting a first round tackle.

Overall, I like.

Somewhere ILB has to be addressed.  Williams, Spence, Matakevich, and Forte are not quality starting material.  Williams is a stop gap and the rest are practice squad material.  We need some heat and speed on the inside similar to Shazier.

5 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

Somewhere ILB has to be addressed.  Williams, Spence, Matakevich, and Forte are not quality starting material.  Williams is a stop gap and the rest are practice squad material.  We need some heat and speed on the inside similar to Shazier.

Again, look at FA.  Bradham and Davis.

Archived