War's offseason mock

warfelg

22 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

The reason it was proven he can be replaced is because Hubbard played decent in his stead....so why not give him a shot, bring in a cheap FA to compete and maybe draft a guy later?     

Im on board with potentially moving on from Gilbert....but only if its done right.   If we are just moving him and drafting his replacement in the first round, Im against that.  Yes, it saves cap space, but  it also takes away our first round pick to replace him.    Im not down with that.

Give Hubbard a chance and use that first round pick on a DB or pass rusher.....or an ILB depending what happens in free agency.   

I didn't really see anyone at those places and our pick that could have an impact that McGlinchey could have.

1 minute ago, armsteeld said:

Yeah I did.  I want more than that.  Those guys haven't impressed me.

Not sure what your watching then.  Davis is athletic, rangy, and solid tackler.  Bradham was very solid at tacking, better at the POA than anyone at LB on this team, and very good in man and zone coverage.

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

Not sure what your watching then.  Davis is athletic, rangy, and solid tackler.  Bradham was very solid at tacking, better at the POA than anyone at LB on this team, and very good in man and zone coverage.

I respect that.

29 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I didn't really see anyone at those places and our pick that could have an impact that McGlinchey could have.

Hard to say without seeing your mock.

Im not going to pretend I know alot about this draft class either aside from the fact it looks like another weak class.     Still, Id rather trade down than take an OLineman to replace the OLineman we just cut. 

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

You can cut Wilcox instead.

He's a decent ST player

What are things that aren't true, Alex? 

But seriously, he was a god awful special teamer. After they removed him from defense (which was saying something being a safety on this team) they had him exclusively on special teams and he ended the season being a healthy scratch. 

He is as good as gone. 

The roster construction was pretty poor this year in general, and that's something I think they fix this offseason. Guys like Rogers, Hunter, Harrison, Gay, Moats, and Wilcox are not special teams or really good backup players on a roster due to limitations...but we had a ton of them on the team. I expect pretty much all those guys gone and replaced with more flexible, capabale, and younger guys as the backups. 

20 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Hard to say without seeing your mock.

Im not going to pretend I know alot about this draft class either aside from the fact it looks like another weak class.     Still, Id rather trade down than take an OLineman to replace the OLineman we just cut. 

This class is very deep in RB, WR, CB, DL and chase LBs.

19 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

This class is very deep in RB, WR, CB, DL and chase LBs.

Fair enough....but it doesnt seem very top heavy in terms of great talents.    Seems like there may be 10-15 true first rounders, then its just a mix of a ton of guys who could go anywhere between there and round 3.    

1 minute ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Fair enough....but it doesnt seem very top heavy in terms of great talents.    Seems like there may be 10-15 true first rounders, then its just a mix of a ton of guys who could go anywhere between there and round 3.    

There is major talent but all these "experts" are on the QBs so much. 

@warfelg how many more years do we have with Landry Jones?

Bell is going to ask for approx $16M , so you will have to rework that deal. 

As for trades, what if we franchise Bell, but he won't sign : can we trade him and if so what is the compensatory pick(s) ?

Gilbert trade is a shock, but who knows what will happen especially since he was suspended. RD4 pick isn't enough IMO but never know. Gilbert is a pro bowl RT, makes no sense from a performance perspective . If Hawkins ever played and proved he was good, then it could happen.  If you want to trade a player, trade dupree since this draft is said  to be a good draft for edge and so many think he has upside.

Foster isn't as good as finney but was a leader. Not sure if they will release him or trade him. 

Getting proven players from the eagles is a good idea, but can Bradham play 3-4 OLB ?

You're quite the capologist , very determined of you to gather the info and crunch the numbers.  Does the restructuring of deals mortgage the future of the cap?

We have too many weak links on D, and that needs to be addressed. Speed at the edge to make the QB step up is the first priority . They need to decide on a scheme and get the players for it. Regardless of scheme, another CB would be good and we all know about safety . I have a feeling mitchell will be back,  but redshirts are welcome :S

5 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Last draft had more potential stars.  I see this like Burns's class.  Not very top heavy but there's quite a bit of depth there.

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

Last draft had more potential stars.  I see this like Burns's class.  Not very top heavy but there's quite a bit of depth there.

Burns needs to be fairly challenged for a starting position.  This season was way worse than his rookie year.  Davis as well.  Lake sucks at developing these guys.

1 minute ago, 3rivers said:

Bell is going to ask for approx $16M , so you will have to rework that deal. 

Everyone is getting too hung up on year 1 money.  Don't.  The deal I showed is more than what they offered guaranteed.

As for trades, what if we franchise Bell, but he won't sign : can we trade him and if so what is the compensatory pick(s) ?

He would have to sign first.  So very unlikely since we would be on the hook for all of the cap hit.

Gilbert trade is a shock, but who knows what will happen especially since he was suspended. RD4 pick isn't enough IMO but never know. Gilbert is a pro bowl RT, makes no sense from a performance perspective . If Hawkins ever played and proved he was good, then it could happen.  If you want to trade a player, trade dupree since this draft is said  to be a good draft for edge and so many think he has upside.

Duane Brown, a better and more dependable LT than Gilbert is right tackle, went with a 5th for a 2nd.  RT isn't as valuable.  We might be able to get a third for him.  Maybe.

Foster isn't as good as finney but was a leader. Not sure if they will release him or trade him. 

Cutting Foster save more than trading him.  I could see a new cheaper deal for him too.  To me this is a place that we have just as good if not better player making less so why not save cap and start that guy?  This is how we get in cap trouble.

Getting proven players from the eagles is a good idea, but can Bradham play 3-4 OLB ?

Not sure why people aren't reading anything but I said move him into ILB.

You're quite the capologist , very determined of you to gather the info and crunch the numbers.  Does the restructuring of deals mortgage the future of the cap?

Not really.  Tuitt is having $6mil moved to 4 remaining years, Heyward has $3mil move to 3 remaining years.

We have too many weak links on D, and that needs to be addressed. Speed at the edge to make the QB step up is the first priority . They need to decide on a scheme and get the players for it. Regardless of scheme, another CB would be good and we all know about safety . I have a feeling mitchell will be back,  but redshirts are welcome :S

And I did address them.  I'm running with the assumption that the scheme will stay similar to what it is now.  I think too much is being made of speed off the edge and not enough skill.  Clearly they want to bring pressure up the middle with edge contain.  That's what the Tampa-2 was a stable of.  Keep the QB in the pocket, collapse from the front, force rushed passes.

5 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

Burns needs to be fairly challenged for a starting position.  This season was way worse than his rookie year.  Davis as well.  Lake sucks at developing these guys.

No disagreement there.

I think Burns and Davis got gifted their starting positions and coasted all year.  Burns stepped it up when they threatened him with Cam Sutton.  I put it on coaching because there's stretches where Davis looks like a legit SS and Burns looks like a #1 CB, but then there are times Burns looks like Blake and Davis looks like a traffic cone.  That's coaching.

The one that got me this year was how often the post/deep cross killed our cover-3 with Davis, Burns, Mitchell.  Mitchell always jumped on the short route while Burns and Davis played it right with Burns maintaining outside leverage on the short guy, and Davis trailing the under.  That tells me that Burns and Davis know theoretically what they should do and that Mitchell is the clueless one.  I wonder what it would look like if we started Sutton and Haden at outside CB's, Burns at FS, and Davis at SS.

Archived