Colts expected to hire Josh McDaniels as HC

RaidersAreOne

So, here's how I look at this.  I am very critical of Josh McDaniels as a head coach after his last run in Denver.  IMO, he set that team back years both with his personnel decisions and his coaching.  BUT.....

So lets say he really goes to Indianapolis.  Right? 

Scenario one: He has Andrew Luck as his quarterback.  Luck after spending a year rebabbing is finally healthy and can play football at 100%.  McDaniels comes in to a team with the best quarterback that could possibly be available to him.  The Colts have eighty million dollars and a top three pick to work with to rebuild that team around Andrew Luck.  

Scenario two: Andrew Luck has to retire or collects his money for the rest of his contract and then retires.   The Colts are stuck with Jacoby Brissett.  Well, remember Brissett only lost one game as a New England Patriot and looked pretty good last preseason before he was traded.  He looked awful last year as a Colt, but maybe he can return to form if he is coached by McDaniels again.  Because, the following players are free agents this upcoming offseason:

Dion Lewis

LeGarrette Blount

Danny Amendola

Nate Solder

LeAdrian Waddle

Cameron Fleming

And then they have a top three pick.  With Josh McDaniels as his head coach, Lewis, Blount and Marlon Mack as his running backs, Jack Doyle as his TE and T.Y. Hilton and Danny Amendola as his wide receivers as well as one would expect at least a moderately improved offensive line, I think Brissett could have a career resurgence if Luck can't come back.  They have a top three pick.  Maybe they can draft an offensive linemen somewhere in the first two rounds.

7 hours ago, TankWilliams said:

You don't know much about him or the situation.  He wasn't arrogant as a bear.  He wasn't a quitter as a bear.  You listen to too much Mark Schlereth.  When he was in Denver, yes, he had a few maturity issues and didn't handle the McDaniels situation well, though McDaniels didn't handle it well either.  He never got much better because he was cursed with 6 different offensive coordinators in 8 seasons, a poor supporting cast for the majority of his time, and the fact that chicago media will treat you like garbage if you don't' give them good sound bites.  His body language wasn't great, but the deck was stacked against him, he wasn't the one who caused the problems for the most part.  Yes it was time to move on when the Bears released him last season, but thats because our team was run terribly and ruined his chances for success, not the other way around.  

You don't see OC's running from any QB who isn't hard to work with or they feel they can win with. Jay was a baby his entire career and now it's over and it's clear to see.  I wanted Jay over Leinart or Young but I'll take a guy throwing his pads in the stands because he wants to play over Jay folding like a lawn chair game after game. He had all the talent you'd want but had no heart or drive to get better. 

Edited by 98Eddie

6 hours ago, lancerman said:

So? 

Belichick was 1-4 in winning seasons in Cleveland. Counting New England he had 1 winning season in his first 6 head coaching seasons. 

Tom Landry didn't even have a winning season his first 6 years in Dallas.

Noll didn't have a winning season his first 3 years in Pittsburgh

Point is 2 years that occured nearly 8 years ago is not anywhere near a reasonable indicator of what a coach might become. This league gives up on coaches too easily for instant gratification. Then a franchise "might" find a coach who gets hot for a year or two before they wallow in mediocrity forever and the franchise is on hold for a decade. 

In all 3 cases you provided (that are definitely THE exceptions, but ok) they all had one thing in common: they had the opportunity to continue coaching.

And they all had one more thing in common: neither made the kind of franchise destruction, as McDaniels did in Denver.

6 hours ago, 98Eddie said:

You don't see OC's running from any QB who isn't hard to work with or they feel they can win with. Jay was a baby his entire career and now it's over and it's clear to see.  I wanted Jay over Leinart or Young but I'll take a guy throwing his pads in the stands because he wants to play over Jay folding like a lawn chair game after game. He had all the talent you'd want but had no heart or drive to get better. 

LOL what oc's were running away? And how exactly did he "fold like a lawn chair" 

You may have never ever watched the guy play if you are questioning his toughness on the field.  You just have leftover hatred because he jumped ship.  Get over it, it's been a decade