Let's Talk Wide Receivers...

G08

I have no idea why my copy and paste turned out like this...

Cameron Meredith
Kevin White
Markus Wheaton
Kendall Wright
Victor Cruz
Daniel Braverman
Joshua Bellamy
Deonte Thompson
Tanner Gentry

I left out some names that I think have 0 shot of making this roster, but still, Jee-zus Christ.

I think Meredith is our best WR and deserves to be the #1.

Kevin White, unfortunately (yes, I still hate him) seems destined to be our #2.

That leaves the slot position for Wheaton and Wright (follow the money... Wheaton should win the gig). I like Wright a lot more than some, and I think he'd be a terrific #4 that can step in for injuries (*cough* Kevin White *cough*).

That leaves a hodge podge of **** for WR 5 and 6... Fox LOVES him some Bellamy so unfortunately I think that dude makes the team as a 4 phase special teamer. I think Cruz makes it, but likely will be inactive most weeks (or does he? Dude is making $2 million this season with another $2 million in incentives).

My guy Daniel Braverman seems destined for the practice squad (funny story, I tweeted @EASports because Braverman wasn't on the roster when Madden 17 was released, and 10 minutes later they sent out an update with him added :lol:) and I think Tanner Gentry does as well.

All-in-all, this feels like Pace taking a whole bunch of **** and chucking it against the wall to see what sticks.

I think Pace expects Cam and White to play top 3 roles, and one Cruz/Wheaton/Wright to be the other. White may never live up to his draft billing but I think with health (the biggest obstacle) he can be a starting level WR. I also think Pace has (and should have) big expectations out of the TE group. 

To me Pace is just using free agency to supplement his WR corps. He has Weaton, Wright, Cruz, Randle all basically on one year deals. He wants his drafted players in Meredith and White to be the top, wants Gentry and Braverman to develop into slot options, and hopes one of the vets develops into a talented replacement/reserve. While I'm sure he would love Bellamy to develop, he is special teams only IMO.

Yeah WR is one of (if not THE) least inspiring position groups on the team.  The running game should be solid and the development of Shaheen will be interesting to follow.  Outside of that, I think the offense is going to be very difficult to watch.

I really like Cam Meredith the more I watch him from last season and I think he's only going to get better. 

Kevin White I've hated since before he was drafted by Ryan Pace... but the kid works hard and you can tell it means a lot to him. I just think playing the WR position is an art and right now Kevin white is a robot.

Gentry is intriguing, Trubisky seems to like him (much to my dismay because I love me some Daniel Braverman).

I think Meredith is our true #1, after that I don't know what I think.

White is going to be given every chance to succeed, IMO.

Cruz sounds like he's kicking *** in the slot, so he should be our #3.

Then you have a highly paid Wheaton, an experienced Wright rounding out the top 5. Will they be playing matchups?

Bellamy likely gets WR 6, so I think Braverman and Gentry are ticketed for the PS, Randle and Thompson are goners.

@G08 I think I might know why you're getting the black background behind your text.  Are you copy/pasting from somewhere?  I did that for the forum rules thread I just made.  When I pasted it on here I got a message just above the "submit" button saying something about formatting.  It gave me an option to remove the formatting and my text went back to normal.

14 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

@G08 I think I might know why you're getting the black background behind your text.  Are you copy/pasting from somewhere?  I did that for the forum rules thread I just made.  When I pasted it on here I got a message just above the "submit" button saying something about formatting.  It gave me an option to remove the formatting and my text went back to normal.

Yep! I posted it on another board I frequent and wanted to add it to the discussion here.

On 8/13/2017 at 4:31 PM, dll2000 said:

I was never on Braver,an bandwagon and failed to see anything special about him, but put me on Gentry train.  Like to see him get a real shot at not only makng team, but getting real playing time.

He is a playmaker.

I'm thinking that Gentry may not make it to the practice squad, if the team tries to stash him there...  Braverman had a lot of hype last year, but no one ever saw it outside of practice, and there wasn't quite as much buzz....

Gentry is reportedly making plays no matter what defensive unit he's lined up against, and there has been actual film clips from camp of him making those plays.... I'd add, even in an extremely limited showing last Thursday vs Denver (where he registered a single catch that I saw), he still has shown more on an actual field than Braverman has. Finally, the biggest difference maker to me, is that while last year people where saying Braverman might have a roster spot, I've seen some reports claiming Gentry to be our best actual receiver over the course of camp....

Like Trubisky, Gentry I think is a priority player that we need to see move up the depth chart in preseason in order to get some film vs higher level competition.

20 minutes ago, G08 said:

Locks:

White

Meredith

Cruz

Wheaton

Bellamy

That leaves Kendall Wright against Gentry and my money is on Wright. I think both Gentry and Braverman are ticketed for the PS.

I wouldn't set Cruz as a lock...the fact he played so deep into the 1st preseason game says a lot...right now I still have Wright over him.

36 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I wouldn't set Cruz as a lock...the fact he played so deep into the 1st preseason game says a lot...right now I still have Wright over him.

I looked at that more as us being short on slot WRs... Braverman and Wheaton (while I think he'll play outside more this season) were inactive.

Our young WR corps looks up to Victor Cruz, and he by all accounts has looked solid in camp. I'll be shocked if he's not a lock.

Archived