Let's Talk Wide Receivers...

G08

16 hours ago, Epyon said:

I'm thinking that Gentry may not make it to the practice squad, if the team tries to stash him there...  Braverman had a lot of hype last year, but no one ever saw it outside of practice, and there wasn't quite as much buzz....

Gentry is reportedly making plays no matter what defensive unit he's lined up against, and there has been actual film clips from camp of him making those plays.... I'd add, even in an extremely limited showing last Thursday vs Denver (where he registered a single catch that I saw), he still has shown more on an actual field than Braverman has. Finally, the biggest difference maker to me, is that while last year people where saying Braverman might have a roster spot, I've seen some reports claiming Gentry to be our best actual receiver over the course of camp....

Like Trubisky, Gentry I think is a priority player that we need to see move up the depth chart in preseason in order to get some film vs higher level competition.

Agreed.  I have seen online reports saying he has been real good in camp, ditto from Hoge and Jahns podcasts. Waddle and Silvy saw him stand out and make plays when they were down there and many tweets from people attending practices saying same.  I have seen some highlight clips.  He got one target in pre season and made it count.  

All you can do is make plays in practice at any level.  If coaches want to go with 'experience' nothing you can do.  Like to see an underdog make good.  Makes game more fun.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

Let's not talk wide receivers.

Unless it's Devin Aromashodu.

I hear Alshon is already pretty much never practicing due to injuries. Philly fans will love him. He'll get pelted with D-cell batteries after his first series.

Mike Hass.

David MF'in Ball

Brandon Rideau.

The Bears could line up five-wide with all of the WR6s the fans thought had super-secret superstar potential.

On a similar note, did Harvey Unga show up for training camp this year? I swear it got to a point where he wasn't even rostered anymore and was just hopping a fence at Olivet to work the 1-on-1 drills.

I am not often one that thinks making a trade is a good idea, but we have hit defcon 1 at WR with a young franchise QB that will play at some point this season. I would explore trading for a couple of guys that are on the market.

I would try and keep the same number of picks however.

Jarvis Landry and a 5th for 2[2018]

Allen Hurns and a 7th for 4[2018]

I do not know if either would work, but I would engage in both discussions.

Ok, I know there is always preseason hype about a diamond in the rough WR, but at least with Gentry we've actually seen some great play in game and he's developed a rapport with Trubisky that appears to be pretty significant. Probably not going to be a stud WR or anything, but I don't think i would classify him with the Mike Hass and Dave Ball group of guys, either.

I would go Allen Hurns over landry.  Hurns' already has a contract and is bigger.  I would throw mike glennon in on the trade as well.

long term bears are drafting are drafting Calvin Ridley if available in the first round. 

On 8/29/2017 at 8:51 AM, WindyCity said:

I am not often one that thinks making a trade is a good idea, but we have hit defcon 1 at WR with a young franchise QB that will play at some point this season. I would explore trading for a couple of guys that are on the market.

I would try and keep the same number of picks however.

Jarvis Landry and a 5th for 2[2018]

Allen Hurns and a 7th for 4[2018]

I do not know if either would work, but I would engage in both discussions.

I'm surprised people are throwing out trade ideas. I think this would make sense if we had a shot of making the playoffs. We need as many of our picks as possible. We should make due with what we have and see if Gentry can ball or not. This is a throw away year for Pace (not for Fox).

20 hours ago, TankWilliams said:

Ok, I know there is always preseason hype about a diamond in the rough WR, but at least with Gentry we've actually seen some great play in game and he's developed a rapport with Trubisky that appears to be pretty significant. Probably not going to be a stud WR or anything, but I don't think i would classify him with the Mike Hass and Dave Ball group of guys, either.

People posting a lot of examples of overhyped late round or undrafted camp guys aren't mentioning the very recent Cam Meredith for some reason.  Guess it doesn't fit the narrative.  

I liked Meredith early last year after I saw him play and now Gentry.  IMO, if you can play you can play and if you can't you can't.  Draft position and contracts make a lot of guys hang around that shouldn't and a lot of other guys who should stick around don't get to.

Gentry has made plays left and right against everyone they put in front of him.  What else do you want him to do to make the team and get some playing time?  What else can he do?  Scoring on every single play is a bit unrealistic, but dang he is doing it at a pretty good clip.

Archived