Let's Talk Wide Receivers...

G08

2 hours ago, Nads786 said:

I'm surprised people are throwing out trade ideas. I think this would make sense if we had a shot of making the playoffs. We need as many of our picks as possible. We should make due with what we have and see if Gentry can ball or not. This is a throw away year for Pace (not for Fox).

It is not about making the playoffs.

It is about having support and talent for your young QB so he does not regress while throwing to bad WRs.

If your kids is struggling in school, you get them a tutor, regardless of whether you think they are going to college. Right now Trubisky is going to play this season and the support is lacking.

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

People posting a lot of examples of overhyped late round or undrafted camp guys aren't mentioning the very recent Cam Meredith for some reason.  Guess it doesn't fit the narrative.  

I liked Meredith early last year after I saw him play and now Gentry.  IMO, if you can play you can play and if you can't you can't.  Draft position and contracts make a lot of guys hang around that shouldn't and a lot of other guys who should stick around don't get to.

Gentry has made plays left and right against everyone they put in front of him.  What else do you want him to do to make the team and get some playing time?  What else can he do?  Scoring on every single play is a bit unrealistic, but dang he is doing it at a pretty good clip.

Meredith took a full year before he was able to really contribute on the field.

I too think Genrty could be something, but I think it is very fair to wonder whether he can in week 3 or 4 of this season?

1st team reps taken by Tanner Gentry: 0

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

It is not about making the playoffs.

It is about having support and talent for your young QB so he does not regress while throwing to bad WRs.

If your kids is struggling in school, you get them a tutor, regardless of whether you think they are going to college. Right now Trubisky is going to play this season and the support is lacking.

I think a second round pick is just way to aggressive plus let's see if any of the current WRs can step up. I know everyone here is down on Kevin White but I would rather see what we have than give away a second round pick.

On 8/29/2017 at 1:22 PM, Crickett said:

But muh analytics.

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Meredith took a full year before he was able to really contribute on the field.

I too think Genrty could be something, but I think it is very fair to wonder whether he can in week 3 or 4 of this season?

1st team reps taken by Tanner Gentry: 0

All I'm saying is he should make the team, not be no. 1.  

Rookie QB riding or dying with

Kevin White: 4 starts, 19 catches, Injury Concerns

Markus Wheaton: 22 starts, 107 catches, Injury Concerns

Kendall Wright: 41 starts, 280 catches

Tanner Gentry: 0 starts, 0 catches

Josh Bellamy: 5 starts, 38 catches 

Deonte Thompson: 6 starts, 39 catches

I'm re-watching the Titan's game and Deonte Thompson is getting a TON of reps with the #1 offense. I think he's a lock to make the team:

White

Thompson

Wright

Wheaton

That leaves Bellamy, Gentry, and Cruz fighting for 1 or 2 spots.

3 hours ago, G08 said:

I'm re-watching the Titan's game and Deonte Thompson is getting a TON of reps with the #1 offense. I think he's a lock to make the team:

White

Thompson

Wright

Wheaton

That leaves Bellamy, Gentry, and Cruz fighting for 1 or 2 spots.

I think Fox was talking about Bellamy the other day and said something like "he should be ready for Atlanta" so sounds like he's making the team. Hopefully they give Gentry a shot at that last spot. Think we'd all pick Cruz and Gentry out of those two as the best WRs but they value Bellamy's special team ability so highly.

It was a great performance in the Browns pre-season game last year that helped Cam Meredith earn a spot on the roster over Braverman. Hoping we see Gentry do the same thing tonight and take that last spot.

3 hours ago, G08 said:

White, Thompson, Wright, Wheaton, Bellamy, and Gentry

Yes.  No way Cruz makes it IMO.  Not good at reciever or special teams.

A cut by another team may squeeze out Thompson, Bellamy or Gentry   I think White, Wheaton and Wright are locks and are the starters. 

What if Bears cut Gentry and he went to Patriots?  They seem to be able to take guys like him that few are high on or think are blah and make stars out of them.

This is really the worst WR core I've seen in my entire life watching this team. Pace should be ashamed of himself. These guys arent getting open vs good defenses. The offense is going to run the ball a ton of times and probably score very few points. 

36 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

This is really the worst WR core I've seen in my entire life watching this team. Pace should be ashamed of himself. These guys arent getting open vs good defenses. The offense is going to run the ball a ton of times and probably score very few points. 

2008 was worse. I mean, this group isn't good at all, but I don't think it's even close.

Hester and Rashied Davis starting. The rest: Brandon Lloyd, Marty Booker, Mark Bradley, Earl Bennett (barely played), Devin Aromashodu, Brandon Rideau. That's a huge group of useless NFL receivers right there.

Archived