Let's Talk Wide Receivers...

G08

10 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

2008 was worse. I mean, this group isn't good at all, but I don't think it's even close.

Hester and Rashied Davis starting. The rest: Brandon Lloyd, Marty Booker, Mark Bradley, Earl Bennett (barely played), Devin Aromashodu, Brandon Rideau. That's a huge group of useless NFL receivers right there.

I still like Kevin White alot so I'd probably take him over Rashied Davis or Hester. But beyond that I'd rather have Lloyd, Davis or Hester. Right now we have one actual WR starting and the rest are special teams players(while Wheaton is out). 

The fact that we are even having this conversation is a disgrace honestly. This position just looks neglected. 

44 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

I still like Kevin White alot so I'd probably take him over Rashied Davis or Hester. But beyond that I'd rather have Lloyd, Davis or Hester. Right now we have one actual WR starting and the rest are special teams players(while Wheaton is out). 

The fact that we are even having this conversation is a disgrace honestly. This position just looks neglected. 

I think you're overreacting a bit. Hester was useless as a receiver. Lloyd could make the occasional circus catch and dropped everything else. Davis was an okay slot man and special teamer, but was miscast as a X In a west coast offense.

I get the frustration, but the current group could be a whole lot worse.

3 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

Hester was useless as a receiver.

Aside from his obvious return man talents, Hester is honestly a very comparable receiver to what we've seen out of White (which is to say not good bordering on "why the hell is this kid even playing" levels.).... except Hester could keep himself off of IR long enough to actually play football occasionally. Even without the return talents, if given the choice between Hester and White, I'd take Hester.

16 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

I think you're overreacting a bit. Hester was useless as a receiver. Lloyd could make the occasional circus catch and dropped everything else. Davis was an okay slot man and special teamer, but was miscast as a X In a west coast offense.

I think it's splitting hairs to be honest. Really it's Kevin White and a bunch of special teamers. 

24 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:
16 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

I think it's splitting hairs to be honest. Really it's Kevin White and a bunch of special teamers. 

Really it's Kendall Wright a bunch of special teamers and Kevin White.

1 hour ago, blkwdw13 said:

Really it's Kendall Wright a bunch of special teamers and Kevin White.

Right I was more referring to the guys on the outside. But having Wright is a definite plus. He's going to get a ton of catches this year. Hopefully....(please Pace) there's still a trade to come. 

1 hour ago, GOGRIESE said:

Right I was more referring to the guys on the outside. But having Wright is a definite plus. He's going to get a ton of catches this year. Hopefully....(please Pace) there's still a trade to come. 

Either way it's not very good and as of right now I don't see how any one can clearly say this group is better than the 2008 group.

2 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

Either way it's not very good and as of right now I don't see how any one can clearly say this group is better than the 2008 group.

2008 didn't have anyone the caliber of Kendall Wright (who has a 94-catch season to his name), or with the upside of Kevin White. 2008 also had Ron Turner and his Tecmo Bowl play card. 

IF (big if) White is healthy all year I don't think it's a huge stretch to think he gets 60-70 catches. About 4 a game. That's not #1 production but it's legit production, and something you can work with with a good run game, solid production from the slot and TEs who are legitimately involved in the passing game. 

Playing them all with the best available QB would help too, but that's a different discussion... 

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

2008 didn't have anyone the caliber of Kendall Wright (who has a 94-catch season to his name), or with the upside of Kevin White. 2008 also had Ron Turner and his Tecmo Bowl play card. 

IF (big if) White is healthy all year I don't think it's a huge stretch to think he gets 60-70 catches. About 4 a game. That's not #1 production but it's legit production, and something you can work with with a good run game, solid production from the slot and TEs who are legitimately involved in the passing game. 

Playing them all with the best available QB would help too, but that's a different discussion... 

Your right Marty Booker never had a season of 100 catches or follow it up with a season of 97 catches, with John Shoop as the OC.  White has to prove he is healthy first to even be considered a WR at this point and he still hasn't shown anything close to what Hester did.  The TE ends also aren't even close to what the 2008 team had in Greg Olsen and Dez Clark.

The receiving corps as of right now is about the same as that 2008 team until they prove it otherwise.

20 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

The top two receivers on the 2008 team from a talent standpoint were Matt Forte and Greg Olsen. They also finished 1 and 2 in receptions and receiving touchdowns, though Hester finish first in total yards with a whopping 665.

Hester was only a starter because he had held out in camp and held the Bears hostage for #1 receiver money. He clearly didn't know how to play the position.

Rashied Davis, the starting X: 35/445/2. "Drops" isn't an official stat, but I believe he led the league in drops that year.

Brandon Lloyd: 26/364/2. Booker: 14/211/2.

That unit was abysmal and badly struggled to move the ball through the air. It's undoubtedly the worst group of Bears receivers I've seen in my lifetime, so I'll reserve judgement on the 2017 group until the season is through.

5 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

The top two receivers on the 2008 team from a talent standpoint were Matt Forte and Greg Olsen. They also finished 1 and 2 in receptions and receiving touchdowns, though Hester finish first in total yards with a whopping 665.

Hester was only a starter because he had held out in camp and held the Bears hostage for #1 receiver money. He clearly didn't know how to play the position.

Rashied Davis, the starting X: 35/445/2. "Drops" isn't an official stat, but I believe he led the league in drops that year.

Brandon Lloyd: 26/364/2. Booker: 14/211/2.

That unit was abysmal and badly struggled to move the ball through the air. It's undoubtedly the worst group of Bears receivers I've seen in my lifetime, so I'll reserve judgement on the 2017 group until the season is through.

And again non of the receivers this have proven they are any better than those on the 2008 team, and Hester was a starter because the Bears thought he could replace Bernard Berrian who they let go that offseason.

And I think the 2004 receiving corps was by far worse than that 2008 team.

28 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

And again non of the receivers this have proven they are any better than those on the 2008 team...

They don't have a very difficult task in front of them.

My entire point is that some of the blanket statements flying around are overreaction to try to make a bad situation seem worse. "This is the worst group blah blah blah." No it isn't.

25 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

They don't have a very difficult task in front of them.

My entire point is that some of the blanket statements flying around are overreaction to try to make a bad situation seem worse. "This is the worst group blah blah blah." No it isn't.

Oh ok...we'll consult the arbiter of wide receiver play next time. 

In one post you say "so I'll reserve judgement on the 2017 group until the season is through". Fine. Then the next post you say "No it isn't". Which one is it? 

Archived