LeVeon Bell @ His Contract Demand

Ward4HOF

Pretty straightforward.  Would you want your favorite team's GM to pursue LeVeon Bell at his asking price, assuming it's $14M per year, 'Guaranteed' for, say, 3 years, or $42M? As I understand it, that was the big issue with him turning down the Steeler's offer; the lack of a 'Guaranteed Salary' for the out-years. As of late, the Steelers do not offer future Guaranteed money; they didn't offer Brown, the #1 (or #2 for you Julio fans ;)) WR in the NFL, any future Guaranteed monies until the new league year of the upcoming year, so in AB's case, he received $19M guaranteed for last season, the money he earned, and will receive like $9M this next season guaranteed, a few days after the start of the new league year...but I digress.

The point is, I am not a fan of paying Bell, again, another Tag, which will be $14-ish M.  There appears to be a REALLY strong crop of RBs coming into the Draft this year, and there are also at least 6-8 RBs in the league that can do what he does.  Maybe not as well but close enough with a good OL. Bell only avg'd 4.0 YPC this season, which is fine, but nothing spectacular.

But with RBs like Gurley, Fournette, Gordon, Elliott, Hunt, Freeman, and Howard...

and some 2nd tier guys like Derrick Henry, Lamar Miller, Isaiah Crowell, CJ Anderson, Alex Collins, Latavius Murray, Joe Mixon, and Carlos Hyde...

...and then the veterans still around like AP, McCoy, Blount, DeMarco Murray, Ingram, Lynch, and JStew...

...there seem to be plenty of options out there...pretty good ones...and too many to be paying one $14M for 3 years.

There are 23 RBs I just listed, and and expected 8-10 to be drafted in the first 2 rounds of the upcoming draft.

So, with this knowledge, why should Bell think he's going to be able to get a GM to pay him $14M per year, and guaranty that for future years??

Somebody make me feel better about this, because the Steelers are about to Tag him...again...but for $14M this time, rather than use that money for, oh, IDK, guys that can stop opposing RBs. That would be novel...might have helped a little yesterday, ya think?

Anyway, if it ends up being reported at some point this off-season that your team just agreed to terms with LeVeon Bell, and knowing it likely cost you AT LEAST 3 x $12M per year, you gonna be happy about it? Insert Gurley, Hunt, Fournette...whoever. This isn't necessarily about Bell (it is, but it isn't, because he's the one making the demand), it's about paying RBs this level of money, really...

Steelers are in a similar situation with Bell as the Dolphins are in with Landry: two teams with a very tight 2018 cap, two players that are considered more luxury offensive pieces than team cornerstones.

Given the Steeler's current cap obligations... I don't think Bell is in Pittsburgh next season.

The big thing working against the Steelers as to the Bell situation is that there are a few teams with a lot of cap space. Now, not all of them really need a RB, of course, but I think in most other off-seasons, $14 million/year would be out of the question. I see nothing wrong with the Steelers tagging him again, provided it doesn't screw up their cap too much, and going for a championship again next year. 

He's a great RB but with that offensive line coupled with the fact that he does have one foot in the door of suspensionville I think he's not above being tagged or replaced, depending on if what he said was true. I'm actually kinda of surprised he's going the hardball route despite Pittsburgh standing by him. 

As for "if it were my team", Chiefs just showed that there's RB talent all over the place. We got our stud RB in the 3rd round. Spencer Ware, before him, was out of nowhere as well. Jamaal Charles was a 3rd rounder.

Yes Bell is worth that considering he functions as both a great RB and a great receiver. I would definitely want him on my team as Jets fan considering we haven't had a steady running game since the days of Thomas Jones.

I wouldn't mind giving bell the contract he wants for the 49ers. We have more space than we can realistically use in one off season and probably even two. We only have 3 guys who are looking at probably getting extensions soon - Jimmy G, Trent Brown can negotiate as soon as this off season,  andTartt (can't imagine that is super expensive). I really can't think of anyone else. Buckner is 3 years away from needing a new deal, Foster 4. Ward could potentially get a deal given he's on his option year, but at the same time, he's caught in no man's land on where he should play, and he can't stay healthy. Garnett has 3 more years left with his option, and has to prove he's actually an NFL caliber guard.  I'd be a little surprised if Armstead is on the roster next year as I have to assume that we are looking at trading him at some point. 

Now there's a question on whether or not Bell would fit the run scheme - some 49ers don't believe that he would. I don't hate it if we go after him and get him, and I don't hate it if we choose to ignore him altogether as there are some other competent backs out there and some really decent prospects. I don't know that Shanny is a guy that wants to invest a lot of capital in running backs for the most part.

26 minutes ago, Malik said:

Yes Bell is worth that considering he functions as both a great RB and a great receiver. I would definitely want him on my team as Jets fan considering we haven't had a steady running game since the days of Thomas Jones.

I agree. I would give him 3 years at 14M considering he is just 26. Yea he has gotten alot of work but still plenty of tread on those tires

Bell is an exceptional talent who would be a nice addition to any team.

However, I still wouldnt pay him the $15m a year he wants.   Some team will, and thats fine....but I do question if he will be quite as good without a star studded offense around him.   He goes to a team with a bad OLine and QB, I would be worried about getting the value of that huge contract out of him.  

9 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

It's not worth it.

Not worth it for your team (Titans) or just in general? I agree with @Forge that it's not a terrible deal for a team with a lot of cap space. He's a phenomenal game changing type of player. But if a team is tight against the cap, you probably shouldn't be paying him or any RB 14-15 million per year. 

Archived