Aaron Rodgers

Golfman

How many more years does he have? He's 34 years old. Has broken his collarbone twice. Now has a new GM. How many more years do you think he's going to be with us? 

The past two successful GM's we've had Wolf and Thompson immediately went out and found their QB. Does our new guy do the same? Great draft for QB's if that is his desire. I think we've got 3, 4 years tops with Rodgers. What do you think?

God I hope we have four more “good” years.  We can only hope those years are as good and healthy as Brady’s have been.  Considering that freak injuries can happen, one busted play away from a championship title can happen, hit or miss in the draft and FA can happen, lots of other things - even one more title would be pretty dang sweet, hopefully more.  As demonstrated, several things need to line up in order for a championship to happen and given how little time we have left with Rodgers, the f**k up factor is super small.

Going on record saying the Browns 1st and 4th round pick this year would do more for us in the next five years than Rodgers will.  One of the top two QBs this year, Chubb and take your pick @ 14 does more for us the next five years than Rodgers does, and a hell of a lot more the next ten years. 

This is one of those times where I don't have to say I hope I'm wrong, but I do. 

24 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Going on record saying the Browns 1st and 4th round pick this year would do more for us in the next five years than Rodgers will.  One of the top two QBs this year, Chubb and take your pick @ 14 does more for us the next five years than Rodgers does, and a hell of a lot more the next ten years. 

This is one of those times where I don't have to say I hope I'm wrong, but I do. 

Well if that QB hits like a Wentz this is obvious, but if he's a Mariota, Winston or  worse yet an RGIII or Russell then it's a huge flop.

A rookie QB that plays like Wentz did this year is more valuable than Rodgers, Brady, Big Ben, etc... However if you traded Rodgers and that QB isn't that good, thats a guaranteed firing, no questions asked. It's also your picture and name in that franchise's book of infamy. "Remember that idiot GM we had who traded Aaron Rodgers and the next QB we had got cut 3 years later?" No GM takes that risk. That's like saying you have a 125k salary and someone offers you a business opportunity where you'll either make 500k a year or have your house foreclosed on and have to move your wife and kids into a one bedroom apartment and start over. Most guys are just going to keep their comfortable situation.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Well if that QB hits like a Wentz this is obvious, but if he's a Mariota, Winston or  worse yet an RGIII or Russell then it's a huge flop.

A rookie QB that plays like Wentz did this year is more valuable than Rodgers, Brady, Big Ben, etc... However if you traded Rodgers and that QB isn't that good, thats a guaranteed firing, no questions asked. It's also your picture and name in that franchise's book of infamy. "Remember that idiot GM we had who traded Aaron Rodgers and the next QB we had got cut 3 years later?" No GM takes that risk. That's like saying you have a 125k salary and someone offers you a business opportunity where you'll either make 500k a year or have your house foreclosed on and have to move your wife and kids into a one bedroom apartment and start over. Most guys are just going to keep their comfortable situation.

I don't disagree with any of this, but it's still a chance I'd take.  I'd have more faith in one of the other two first rounders hitting, too.  If one of them hit, and if one of them turned the defense around, the Packers are right back to competing for Super Bowls even if the QB busts as long as there are Bradfords or Foles or that type of QBs hitting free agency. 

21 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I don't disagree with any of this, but it's still a chance I'd take.  I'd have more faith in one of the other two first rounders hitting, too.  If one of them hit, and if one of them turned the defense around, the Packers are right back to competing for Super Bowls even if the QB busts as long as there are Bradfords or Foles or that type of QBs hitting free agency. 

How about we just quit this nonsense and sign some damn FAs so 12 can go win us a championship or two? The years of Ted running this team into the ground are over. 

29 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

We're more than a Chubb away from the Jags/Vikings defense though. You're another stud CB (and that's assuming that King turns into a stud), 2 more talented LBs and oodles of pass rush away from them.

Just want to go on record to say I didn't start this thinking we'd jettison Rodgers out of town. No way in H - E double hockey sticks would it be for only 2 - 1st round picks, even if they are 1 and 4 overall. They'd have to throw in Myles Garrett and their top 2-2nd round picks too. I'd give them Clay Matthews and Jordy Nelson in return however. 

I'll stick with Rodgers being with us for one more contract, probably a 4 year extension. 

You're talking about one of the best to ever play the game. He's 34 people. How many of the greats have we just seen play until 40 and past? All reports say that with getting the surgery there will be no lingering issues throwing the ball once his collar bone is 100% healed. You have a die hard competitor that carried a worthless team last year to the NFCCG, and prob would of carried our current sorry team to the playoffs if he was healthy. You don't walk away from that. You now have front office change that will build this team differently. We basically just got handed another big window to be successful WITH Rodgers. Trust me. We are going all in.

So we waste our best shot at a difference maker on defense for a QB who will sit on the bench for the entirety of his rookie contract and then either go somewhere else or be resigned for huge money. Playing a good, young QB rather than an elite QB is only valuable if the salary differences are set so far apart that you can pull in serious difference makers at other spots. 

Aaron keeps himself in great shape and is still plenty mobile. 

He's a young 34 year old in my mind. I felt like Favre was an old 34 at this time in 2004. 

Brady is 40. Brees is 39. I  think Aaron can play another 5 years at a high level. 

4 hours ago, packfanfb said:

How about we just quit this nonsense and sign some damn FAs so 12 can go win us a championship or two? The years of Ted running this team into the ground are over. 

Totally agreed. We've seen some quick turnarounds around the league in recent years. Just look at the #1 seed in the NFC this year in the Eagles. Look at all that talent and how good they are on both sides of the ball. What about Jacksonville. Not all of that defensive talent was drafted. The monstrous Denver Broncos defense of 2015 was built through many key free agency acquisitions. That is what happens when your GM leaves no stone unturned in search of talent. Thompson was just so stuck in his ways though. He literally went into every season with huge gaping holes on his roster and he would never shore them up. Well, at least he thought he shored them up with rookie draft picks and UFAs. It's insane to be constantly building for the future when you have 5 good years of a once in a generation type of player. I see other teams making deals all the time, trading 3rd or 4th round picks for really good players. It's just been so sad watching this team over the last few years knowing that our roster just wasn't good enough to win a championship. We knew we would get to the playoffs if Rodgers was healthy and maybe get to the Divisional round or Conference Championship but then be overmatched by teams with much better rosters and team speed. Look at where we are now. Piss poor defense, slow WRs, probably the worst TE group in the NFL. Unproven RBs. Do we even have any strengths on this roster other than #12?

6 minutes ago, FAH1223 said:

Aaron keeps himself in great shape and is still plenty mobile. 

He's a young 34 year old in my mind. I felt like Favre was an old 34 at this time in 2004. 

Brady is 40. Brees is 39. I  think Aaron can play another 5 years at a high level. 

Well, the front office needs to get cracking on finding some talent and filling holes on the roster. Either that or the coaches need to do a better job putting that talent to use. Otherwise Rodgers might not make it to his late 30s. He's trying to do too much out there. There really isn't very many strong spots on this team. The WRs are slow and can't get open. We have a terrible TE group, unproven RBs, lousy defense, etc. etc. Hopefully the new coaches and can wring some more production out of the talent on the team. Our offense has been so bland over the last few years where we think we can just line up our WRs against anybody and just run isolation routes. We're not rolling with Julio Jones or Randy Moss. Our WRs aren't that good. Good corners will shut down our WRs, unless we develop some schemes like the Patriots do that get guys open. I always hear people talk about Brady and how he gets it done with nobody's at WR. Well those nobody's consistently get open. Because they execute their scheme well.  

4 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

We're more than a Chubb away from the Jags/Vikings defense though. You're another stud CB (and that's assuming that King turns into a stud), 2 more talented LBs and oodles of pass rush away from them.

Totally agree. And that Jacksonville defense wasn't just drafted. It's a new NFL. I think the NFL kind of passed TT by. Its a different league where front offices are much more aggressive in terms of free agency and trades. It seems like it's a much more fluid league these days. Teams are willing to part ways with very talented players for reasonable trade value. You have to be willing to talk trades though. Thompson was just too stubborn to do so. He had such little interest in free agency as well. You have to be able to find those gems. Thompson always got so much credit for being a great drafter but free agents played a key role in our championship as well. Charles Woodson and Ryan Pickett were key cogs in that Super Bowl defense. He has just been so gun shy over the years about bringing in guys from outside.

Archived