Aaron Rodgers

Golfman

19 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Going on record saying the Browns 1st and 4th round pick this year would do more for us in the next five years than Rodgers will.  One of the top two QBs this year, Chubb and take your pick @ 14 does more for us the next five years than Rodgers does, and a hell of a lot more the next ten years. 

This is one of those times where I don't have to say I hope I'm wrong, but I do. 

Too risky for my liking given the extremely high failure rate of rookie QBs.  We seen just how truly awful of a team we were without Rodgers.  There is no chance we take a coin toss risk on being a bottom dweller for the half dozen years (+) it would take us to get the All pro caliber QB again. 

This defense is a LONG ways from putting the offense on its back and making a run into the playoffs. 

9 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

1. Packers had Rodgers, Vikings had no names.  That leads to the Vikings being able to have like 97 first round draft picks and top 20 draft picks year after year.  We can't get the Jaguars/Vikings defenses because we have Rodgers.  That's regardless of contract. 

The Patriots have Bill Belichick, Matt Patricia, and they cheat. 

Most of the Vikings/Jaguars impact players were available when the Packers were picking (or via FA).  The Packers just need to be better at acquiring players.

The Packers also spend among the highest in the league on defense.

3 hours ago, th87 said:

Most of the Vikings/Jaguars impact players were available when the Packers were picking (or via FA).  The Packers just need to be better at acquiring players.

First of all, "Most of the Vikings/Jaguars impact players were available when the Packers were picking" is a blatantly false lie, and I'm going to prove it. 

Second, free agency doesn't work when you have Rodgers on the roster. 

Make it work.  Not just draft position, but cap space.  Also remember that if you give us Myles Jack, we don't have the best young DT in the league.  And so on.  The only legitimate complaint is Perry instead of Harrison, and if you've got a pass rusher rated as highly as a safety, you take the pass rusher.  It's really not that complicated. 

I just hate this excuse.  It's like saying, "All the Packers had to do was somehow get past what everybody else saw on tape and pick second round players in the first round when literally nobody else did and also have a crystal ball." 

Yannick - 19 picks before our third round pick.  Let's just be lucky and have a crystal ball and see that this third round prospect is a first round talent.  Everybody's doing it! 
Fowler - 3rd overall pick.  Wouldn't it be nice to have him instead of Fackrell?  The Packers should have thought of that before they won all those games that year. 
Malick Jackson - costing the Jaguars 15 million this year.  10 million last year.  15 million next year.  Make it work.  If it's so simple, make that contract work here. 
DAreus - He's gonna cost them 10 million next year.  Make it work.  Make 25 million dollars at interior DL work for our team next year. 
Campbell - 11 million this year, 18 million next year.  Make it work.  If it's so easy, make 43 million dollars work.  Oh... You also have to pay Rodgers.  Shucks. 

Telvin Smith is gonna make 11 million next year.  It's too bad the Packers weren't able to get this 5th round prospect in the 4th round or have a fifth round pick 17 picks earlier.  The arrogance behind, "Oh, we should have drafted Telvin Smith in the fourth round..." is astounding.  You didn't even know Telvin Smith existed and you expect the Packers to know that he's a first round talent. 

Posluzny was the 33rd overall pick.  How dare us not knowing that we should draft a second round prospect instead of a first round prospect. 

Myles Jack?  We literally picked the better defensive player. 
Jalen Ramsey - How dare we not have the 5th overall pick. 
Gipson - Costs another 6 million.
Church - Another 5 million.  Safety was our strength heading into this season.
Bouye is going to cost 15 million dollars next year.

So when you say most of the players the Jaguars have, we could have drafted or signed in free agency, I take great pleasure in saying... You're wrong.

Those players signed deals that will pay them a certain amount of money not only this year, but next year.  How much next year?  Let's add it up. 

43 million dollars for the defensive line. 
26 million in the secondary.

That's 69 million dollars we would need for 2018 to be able to acquire "via FA."  I assume you meant free agency and not Fairytale Acquisitions.  Or Fantasy Acquisitions. 

And that's just the free agents.  If we cut Clay Matthews, Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb...

*GASP*

We'd still have to cut Aaron Rodgers to be able to afford those free agents and have enough left over to sign our rookies. 

You want to do that? 

You'll come up with some sort of, "If we didn't do this..." And it's going to be an awful excuse.  Or... You could just accept the fact that no, we could not have the Jaguars defense with Aaron Rodgers.  Period. 

Vikings? 

Danielle Hunter - 3rd round prospect, selected 6 picks before our third round pick.  Let's go back in time and lose enough to pick six picks earlier.  Or, better yet, let's trade up in the draft for a 4-3 end when we're a 3-4 team.  Makes sense in your fantasy world, right?  I know it sucks, but some of us have perspective and understand why it sucks while you just blame, blame, blame without a shred of perspective. 

Everson Griffen - We traded up in the third round to get Morgan Burnett.  We didn't have a late third round pick or a fourth round pick.  Griffen was taken two picks into the fourth round.  Damn Thompson for getting an all-pro 3-4 pass rusher the year before and not needing that 3rd-4th round 4-3 DE pass rushing prospect!  Oh, it just ruffles my feathers!  Of course you remember that because when you were watching that draft, you were shouting, "No!  Not a damn good safety in Morgan Burnett, you should be selecting Everson Griffen!"  Right?

Linval Joseph - We could have afforded him, sure.  But we've got the best two defensive linemen in the division, and Mike Daniels is a million dollars cheaper, so...

Erik Kendricks - Remember how badly we needed a corner?  No, we should have drafted an inside linebacker 15 picks earlier than he was taken.  No?  Well we should have taken him in the second round then.  If only he wasn't taken 17 picks before our second round pick!  Doh! 

Anthony Barr - Please tell me how we could have gotten Anthony Barr.  Get out your draft pick calculator and tell me how we could have moved from 21st to 9th overall.  Then tell me if Barr was really worth all that.

Trae Waynes - Please tell me how we could have gotten Trae Waynes.  Get out your draft pick calculator and tell me how we could have moved from 30th to 11th overall.  Then tell me if Waynes was really worth all that.

Xavier Rhodes - The Vikings picked 25th.  We picked 26th.  25 comes before 26.  Any questions?

Harrison Smith is the only player on the Vikings defense we had a legitimate chance at drafting before the Vikings.  It has been, is and forever will be my biggest complaint of Thompson's time here.  Still, logic dictates that if you need a pass rusher, you need a safety, they're both equally rated, you pick the pass rusher. 

So here are your choices:

1.  Admit that we could not have gotten the Jaguars or Vikings defense while having Aaron Rodgers.
2. Grumble and mumble and try to suggest that we should have taken certain players way ahead of their draft slot because we obviously have a crystal ball.
3. Ignore this post because you enjoy living in a reality where everything is Thompson's fault.

Our defense doesn't have to be at Jaguars level because we have Rodgers. Not many defenses even average ones give up an average of 36 points in playoff losses, you fix that and we win some of those games and possibly go all the way.

Let's see what a new GM and coaching can do for this defense.

17 hours ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

The team around Rodgers isn't bad. 

The team without Rodgers is though.  This team is not a playoff team without anything but tremendous play from the QB position.  if we're not getting elite play at QB, we're going to lose more games than we win. 

The only one that hurts that the Vikings took that really hurts, but only because he was a #forceplayer and I was all over him as a prospect(just like I wanted Rivers & Bowser in a Packers uniform too). I wanted him in round 2.

11 minutes ago, SSG said:

The team without Rodgers is though.  This team is not a playoff team without anything but tremendous play from the QB position.  if we're not getting elite play at QB, we're going to lose more games than we win. 

They went 3-4 before Rodgers came back (and should've went 4-3, beating the Steelers in Pit) with horrible QB play. They're a 10-6 team with Blake Bortles at QB, who is still miles better than Hundley. The developmental back up QB idea failed them hard - too bad they didn't flip Hundley for something of value before he saw regular season play time.

18 hours ago, SSG said:

Too risky for my liking given the extremely high failure rate of rookie QBs.  We seen just how truly awful of a team we were without Rodgers.  There is no chance we take a coin toss risk on being a bottom dweller for the half dozen years (+) it would take us to get the All pro caliber QB again. 

This defense is a LONG ways from putting the offense on its back and making a run into the playoffs. 

Yes and no. You hit on a dominant pass rusher and a difference maker at another position and we're close already. Assuming Pettine can coach them up. 

23 minutes ago, SSG said:

Had Hundley played decently instead of how he actually did we would have won more games than we lost when Aaron was out.  But I'm now glad the season went the way it did.   Not having Aaron camouflaging the warts on this defense forced the powers that be to finally make a change.  TBH these changes should have been made after the 2013 season...

Just now, ugLymayNe said:

The only one that hurts that the Vikings took that really hurts, but only because he was a #forceplayer and I was all over him as a prospect. I wanted him in round 2 (just like I wanted Rivers & Bowser in a Packers uniform too).

They went 3-4 (and should've went 4-3, beating the Steelers in Pit) with horrible QB play. They're a 10-6 team with Blake Bortles at QB, who is still miles better than Hundley. The developmental back up QB idea failed them hard - too bad they didn't flip Hundley for something of value before he saw regular season play time.

I don't see it.  We went 3-7 without AR12.  Both Detroit and Minnesota crushed our skulls twice in games that weren't at all competitive.  We also looked every bit the equal to terrible teams in Tampa and Cleveland (both OT games).  I don't think going from awful to average at QB fixes this current squad. 

I laugh my *** off at the people who want us to be like the Vikings!  They haven't won a damn thing in over 50 yrs!

These teams you want us to 'emulate' are perennial losers.  Once in a while they might rise up, but overall?  Come on, the Jags and the Vikes are trying to be like us.  We've just recently suffered through leadership that had limited vision in maintaining a winning team.  We've now rectified that (hopefully) and still have the most talented QB in the league.  Like others have said- You don't need a top 5 defense when you have an All World QB.  We aren't that far away, plug a couple holes with FA and nail two of your top 4 picks and we're back in the playoffs easy.  Would you still want us to be like the Vikings if a certain Saints safety just made a tackle?  Luck is always the dancing partner.

12 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Had Hundley played decently instead of how he actually did we would have won more games than we lost when Aaron was out.  But I'm now glad the season went the way it did.   Not having Aaron camouflaging the warts on this defense forced the powers that be to finally make a change.  TBH these changes should have been made after the 2013 season...

I know Hundley played bad but he wasn't the only culprit.  Average QB play wouldn't have won us either of the Detroit or Minnesota games IMO.  Hundley wasn't the reason we lost to Pitt as he played great.  New Orleans and Baltimore might have been winnable games with better QB play but our defense did us no favors in those contests with complete collapses. 

21 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Yes and no. You hit on a dominant pass rusher and a difference maker at another position and we're close already. Assuming Pettine can coach them up. 

I think its going to take more than 2 players.  Jacksonville and Minnesota are both loaded with dominate pass rushers. 

I think we're a top tier shut down CB (ie Rhodes or Ramsey all pro level of CB) and multiple pass rushers away from even being in the conversation. 

Archived