Rookie CB

Pandomonium

Greetings Family,

There are many opinions on what position we should take with our 1st round pick (whether its 9 or 10). Many people believe that a shutdown corner is the way to go.

In this post/poll, we will focus on just that.

if the niners take a CB in the first round, which one would you like above all others and why?

I'll start it off: 

I absolutely LOVE Jackson from Iowa 
he has the size and ball skills that fit perfectly with our scheme. If he runs a sub 4.5 40 yard dash he will be perfect.

Playing experience doesn't matter much imo.  Lattimore only played a season at Ohio State just like Ward but he still stepped in and became one of the best CB in the league day one. Also, that argument doesn't make sense if you like Jackson. IIRC he only started one game before this season. 

I want someone to convince me otherwise but I just don't like Jackson. Sure he's got eye-popping stats, but he doesn't look very smooth to me. I love big corners (was pimping out Kevin King and Spoon big time last year) but I just not a fan of Jackson right now. Maybe later in the process after the combine but right now, no thanks. Really not a fan of any of these CB in the first.

I was fortunate enough to watch Josh Jackson live seven times this year and my god was he ever impressive. He was a true lock down corner. The Ohio State game (3 interceptions against Barrett) was the stuff of legends. I had a perfect view of his one handed interception and was left speechless for a few minutes.

With that said, Jackson's rise has been super weird. Heading into the season, a lot of Hawkeye fans thought that he would be the #3 corner, behind Manny Rugamba and Michael Ojemudia. Jackson apparently won the job in practice pretty easily and then went on to have a stellar season. Greg Mabin said that he wasn't surprised and that Jackson was that dominant in practice all the time, but that he was just stuck behind Desmond King and Mabin on the depth chart. (He couldn't have been that dominant and still stuck behind Mabin on the depth chart though, because Mabin was pretty crappy. Then again, Ferentz is so loyal to starters that he rarely benches them.)

All in all, I would be fine with Jackson at 9/10. He is long, he is fast, he is aggressive, and he is reportedly a really good teammate and person in general. He truly earned his unanimous All-America selection and I think he will be a star in the NFL.

Come to think of it, Josey Jewell, James Daniels, and Akrum Wadley would all be great for SF too.

12 minutes ago, straighthate said:

Anyone have a list of corners that went in the top 10?  Just seems like a position where there’s a ton of busts at the top of the draft. Would love to have a shut down corner, just don’t know how easy it is to hit on that position. 

Here you go http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?type=position&position=CB

6 minutes ago, straighthate said:

Anyone have a list of corners that went in the top 10?  Just seems like a position where there’s a ton of busts at the top of the draft. Would love to have a shut down corner, just don’t know how easy it is to hit on that position. 

I don't think it's any better / worse than other positions. Usually, there are a ton of corners that go in round 1 / 2, but the average going in the top ten is probably less than 1 per year. In recent history, you have: 

2017 - 0 in top 10. Lattimore went 11 (was projected to go much higher, obviously), is a stud. Humphrey and Adoree Jackson also went in top 20; the former was up and down, I have no idea on the latter. Conley and White went in the first round. Conley was hurt much of the year, didn't play. White is a stud. 

2016 - Ramsey / Applie in top 10. One stud, one....I don't know. Apple had an okay rookie year, but obviously this season for a myriad of reasons has been a disaster. Hargreaves, William Jackson and Artie Burns were the other first rounders. Hargreaves has been awful every time I've seen him, no idea on Jackson, and I Know burns is a starter for Pitt and doesn't seem to be too bad. 

2015 - 0 in top 10. Waynes / Kevin Johnson / Marcus Peters went top 20. Waynes was a guy that a lot of the draftniks didn't like. I wasn't a fan, and J really, really wasn't a fan. But I think he's getting better. Worth that pick? No. Kevin Johnson seemed to be okay, but injuries have hurt him. Peters is a stud. Jones and Randall also went in the first round and I think they are busts. 

2014 - 1 in top 10 (Justin Gilbert). Major bust, but again, there was a rather large contingent of draftniks who hated him as a prospect and didn't have him rated anywhere near there, so I'm putting that more on Cleveland than anything. Kyle Fuller went top 20, and while he's had an up and down career overall, he's coming off a nice season. Verrett (who was my favorite in that draft) / Dennard / Roby were the other three corners in the first. Verrett is a very good cover corner, but can't stay healthy. Dennard is sort of meh. Roby is a solid corner. 

2013 - 1 in top 10 (Dee Milliner). Another bust in the top 10, followed by DJ Hayden at 12 who was a bust. But that draft class was also putrid at the top. The next three corners (two first rounders) were Trufant / Rhodes / Slay, all of whom are elite or excellent cornerbacks. 

2012 - 2 in top 10 (Claiborne & Gilmore). Claiborne  busted out from Dallas, but has been okay the last two years. Gilmore has had an up and down career, but isn't awful. Dre Kirkpatrick is the only other true corner drafted in the first, and he's a pretty solid zone corner, though not ideal in man to man. 

2011 - 1 in top 10 (Patrick Peterson). Major hit there. Prince Amukamara went top 20. He's a perfectly find / capable cornerback. Not great, but you could definitely do worse. Jimmy Smith is the other corner taken in the first round that year, and he's been very good for the most part from a strictly on the field perspective. 

2010 - 1 in top 10 (Haden). This was a fine pick for Cleveland. Though Haden eventually bottomed out in Cleveland before leaving this year, he's mostly been good or very good throughout his career, and I believe he was just fine in Pitt. Kareem Jackson, Devin McCourty, Patrick Robinson, and Kyle Wilson were the other first round corners. Nothing that great, though only Wilson was a true bust. 

2009 - 0 in top 10. Only two chosen in the first round, and one of them should have been a safety from the start (Malcolm Jenkins). Vontae Davis was the other corner, and despite nagging injuries, has had a very good career. 

2008 - 0 in top 10. Leodis McKelvin, Talib and DRC were in the top 20. Talib has largely been very good throughout his career, DRC has been up and down, but a solid career nonetheless, and McKelvin was a total bust. Mike Jenkins and Antoine Cason were the other corners that went in the first. Not much there. 

So that's 10 years. Nothing super crazy and no massive outliers. In this really truncated time period, top 10 hasn't been the best place for corners recently, but at the same time, some of that is on the team. Yeah, Gilbert has been garbage, but a lot of people thought he would be. Lattimore should have went top 10 even without the value of hindsight. Most people in here were okay with taking him at 2. 2013 was just a bad draft at the top - seriously, go back and look at it. It's dreadful. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I don't think it's any better / worse than other positions. Usually, there are a ton of corners that go in round 1 / 2, but the average going in the top ten is probably less than 1 per year. In recent history, you have: 

2017 - 0 in top 10. Lattimore went 11 (was projected to go much higher, obviously), is a stud. Humphrey and Adoree Jackson also went in top 20; the former was up and down, I have no idea on the latter. Conley and White went in the first round. Conley was hurt much of the year, didn't play. White is a stud. 

2016 - Ramsey / Applie in top 10. One stud, one....I don't know. Apple had an okay rookie year, but obviously this season for a myriad of reasons has been a disaster. Hargreaves, William Jackson and Artie Burns were the other first rounders. Hargreaves has been awful every time I've seen him, no idea on Jackson, and I Know burns is a starter for Pitt and doesn't seem to be too bad. 

2015 - 0 in top 10. Waynes / Kevin Johnson / Marcus Peters went top 20. Waynes was a guy that a lot of the draftniks didn't like. I wasn't a fan, and J really, really wasn't a fan. But I think he's getting better. Worth that pick? No. Kevin Johnson seemed to be okay, but injuries have hurt him. Peters is a stud. Jones and Randall also went in the first round and I think they are busts. 

2014 - 1 in top 10 (Justin Gilbert). Major bust, but again, there was a rather large contingent of draftniks who hated him as a prospect and didn't have him rated anywhere near there, so I'm putting that more on Cleveland than anything. Kyle Fuller went top 20, and while he's had an up and down career overall, he's coming off a nice season. Verrett (who was my favorite in that draft) / Dennard / Roby were the other three corners in the first. Verrett is a very good cover corner, but can't stay healthy. Dennard is sort of meh. Roby is a solid corner. 

2013 - 1 in top 10 (Dee Milliner). Another bust in the top 10, followed by DJ Hayden at 12 who was a bust. But that draft class was also putrid at the top. The next three corners (two first rounders) were Trufant / Rhodes / Slay, all of whom are elite or excellent cornerbacks. 

2012 - 2 in top 10 (Claiborne & Gilmore). Claiborne  busted out from Dallas, but has been okay the last two years. Gilmore has had an up and down career, but isn't awful. Dre Kirkpatrick is the only other true corner drafted in the first, and he's a pretty solid zone corner, though not ideal in man to man. 

2011 - 1 in top 10 (Patrick Peterson). Major hit there. Prince Amukamara went top 20. He's a perfectly find / capable cornerback. Not great, but you could definitely do worse. Jimmy Smith is the other corner taken in the first round that year, and he's been very good for the most part from a strictly on the field perspective. 

2010 - 1 in top 10 (Haden). This was a fine pick for Cleveland. Though Haden eventually bottomed out in Cleveland before leaving this year, he's mostly been good or very good throughout his career, and I believe he was just fine in Pitt. Kareem Jackson, Devin McCourty, Patrick Robinson, and Kyle Wilson were the other first round corners. Nothing that great, though only Wilson was a true bust. 

2009 - 0 in top 10. Only two chosen in the first round, and one of them should have been a safety from the start (Malcolm Jenkins). Vontae Davis was the other corner, and despite nagging injuries, has had a very good career. 

2008 - 0 in top 10. Leodis McKelvin, Talib and DRC were in the top 20. Talib has largely been very good throughout his career, DRC has been up and down, but a solid career nonetheless, and McKelvin was a total bust. Mike Jenkins and Antoine Cason were the other corners that went in the first. Not much there. 

So that's 10 years. Nothing super crazy and no massive outliers. In this really truncated time period, top 10 hasn't been the best place for corners recently, but at the same time, some of that is on the team. Yeah, Gilbert has been garbage, but a lot of people thought he would be. Lattimore should have went top 10 even without the value of hindsight. Most people in here were okay with taking him at 2. 2013 was just a bad draft at the top - seriously, go back and look at it. It's dreadful. 

The numbers say William Jackson shut down his side of the field this year.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-bengals-cb-william-jackson-has-been-dominant-against-top-opponents

2 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

The numbers say William Jackson shut down his side of the field this year.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-bengals-cb-william-jackson-has-been-dominant-against-top-opponents

Good to know. I had completely forgotten about him as a high draft pick before doing this, to be perfectly honest. When I saw that name, I was like, uh...yeah, I got nothing. So add him to the + field .

11 minutes ago, Forge said:

Good to know. I had completely forgotten about him as a high draft pick before doing this, to be perfectly honest. When I saw that name, I was like, uh...yeah, I got nothing. So add him to the + field .

When Carolina lost Norman, I was hoping they would pick him. I watched like 2 mins of his highlights and was sold. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

this was a very well put together post... thumbs up

Yeah, I don't think there are any more busts at CB than other positions. Par for the course.

Ward could flat out cover despite the lack of size. Sometimes we overrate size. Dontae Johnson has the perfect build for a CB but is pretty trash. I need to see more of Jackson and others.

I think there is a chance Fitzpatrick drops to #9. Slight one, but a chance nonetheless. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yeah, I don't think there are any more busts at CB than other positions. Par for the course.

Ward could flat out cover despite the lack of size. Sometimes we overrate size. Dontae Johnson has the perfect build for a CB but is pretty trash. I need to see more of Jackson and others.

I think there is a chance Fitzpatrick drops to #9. Slight one, but a chance nonetheless. 

I would say it's currently larger than 'slight,' but that's largely because it's too soon to start penciling guys in at certain slots. This time last year, we were set to pick DeShone Kizer, the Bears were going to pick Jonathan Allen, and Christian McCaffrey was a mid-2nd round pick. Heck, its so early, the archived mock from this week in 2017 at Walter Football had the Chiefs picking Quenton Nelson in the first: 

http://walterfootball.com/draft2017archive_0112_1.php

So...lots of time, and a lot of variables in this equation, some that have nothing to do with the draft prospects. Guys like Case Keenum, Alex Smith, Eli Manning, Kirk Cousins, and Tyrod Taylor could dramatically change the top 10 of the draft, as a team like the Broncos that might come away with any of them might feel more tempted to go with a non-QB in the first and develop someone later. I mean, if we pick 9, there's already a chance that Darnold, Rosen, Allen, and Mayfield go to spots in the top 8. That means there only needs to be four players not named Fitzpatrick drafted ahead of him - Chubb, Nelson, Ridley, Barkley, Key, and James could all be options for teams, and that's not even taking into account late risers due to the Senior Bowl and combine. I read one report recently (can't remember where) that suggested Mason Rudolph could be a first round pick. 

Way too much time between now and the draft. Heck, we might sign Malcolm Butler and keep Jimmie Ward and have no interest in a CB. 

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

isn't Fitzpatrick more of a FS than a CB?

Archived