No more Bell offseason Mock

warfelg

I love Barkley and consider him to be by far the best RB prospect I've ever seen.  No one else is even getting any consideration from me for that honor.  But I wouldn't give up a 1, 1, 2, 3, for a RB in today's NFL.  If you're going to do that, just pay Bell and cut expensive guys and use those picks to build around him.  There are a ton of RBs in this draft......Georgia alone happens to have 2 that look pretty good to me.  

I wouldn't mind a tag and trade of Bell for a 1, and then trade up using that for Barkley.  Idk if the tag and trade is even an option though.  

2 hours ago, 3rivers said:

Penny for sure especially if he is there in later rounds. Where are they expecting him to get drafted?

If we can add OL in RD1 and or 2 and  Penny after, that would help  but then we need to get D help via UFA and later rounds.  

For Edge if we stay 3-4 , where do you expect Armstrong and Oko to get drafted? Trade dupree

I don't like either.  Some of these guys have sacks but it is due to schemes or missed blocks by the OL.  There aren't that many "true" pass rushers in this draft.

2 hours ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

I love Barkley and consider him to be by far the best RB prospect I've ever seen.  No one else is even getting any consideration from me for that honor.  But I wouldn't give up a 1, 1, 2, 3, for a RB in today's NFL.  If you're going to do that, just pay Bell and cut expensive guys and use those picks to build around him.  There are a ton of RBs in this draft......Georgia alone happens to have 2 that look pretty good to me.  

I wouldn't mind a tag and trade of Bell for a 1, and then trade up using that for Barkley.  Idk if the tag and trade is even an option though.  

Really?  What trait does he exhibit that makes you say that?  He's a good RB but no way would I consider him the best RB from the last 5 drafts that I've seen.

23 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

Really?  What trait does he exhibit that makes you say that?  He's a good RB but no way would I consider him the best RB from the last 5 drafts that I've seen.

I've got quite a few reasons for me personally:

Vision.  He sees the field really well as a runner.  Sees lanes before they develop.  Presses the hole while continually moving.

Balance.  I personally have never seen anything like him when it comes to his ability to stay on his feet.  I know this is something everyone has seen, but this is gif its the encapsulation of how hard it is to take him down:

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/Piy6pDt1-lbxGx47Ku0z7pyg_7k=/0x0:565x300/320x0/filters:focal(0x0:565x300):gifv():no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/9311039/saquon_flies.0.gif

We've seen most RB's in college and pro's go down from hits like that.  

Size. He's about prototype as you can get.  5'11" 230 pounds.

Speed. He's got breakaway speed, but he's also got lateral speed.

Change of Direction. You don't find guys who can change directions at his size.

Power.  Again for his size and agility he can power through a lot of tackles.  He's got really powerful legs that let him keep driving and he doesn't stop them.

Pass Protection.  This is something most young running backs struggle with and Barkley already has the ability to pick up blitzes already.

Pass catching.   Again he is somewhat advanced it in that.  He has really good hands, and the hardest part for a RB is he uses his hands properly to catch the ball and is not a body catcher.

Return. He's also an exceptional return man.

2 hours ago, armsteeld said:

He also said Steelers have by far the best roster in the NFL.

Neither comment is remotely close to being true.     

I realize that saying "Barkley is the best RB prospect Ive ever seen" is an opinion....one he is entitled to....but no one objective and informed would ever make that assessment.     

@warfelg, you and I see eye to eye on ALOT of things, but that is an outrageously bad decision to make a trade like that.

I am a diehard PSU fan and alum and I LOVE Barkley, but no one should ever mortgage their future for a RB like that, I dont care who the RB is.   This isnt the 80's/early 90s.    We have tons of holes on defense.    We are going to need a QB in the next couple years.    The only way you ever make a trade like that is if youre trading up for a QB....or maybe if you have a loaded team and you feel you are one piece away....but even then, Id never make that move for a RB.   Maybe a pass rusher or a blindside OT.    

The harsh reality is, most RBs drafted THAT early rarely live up to the hype.    Sure, there are great ones you can remember, but there are even more that you cant remember because they busted or at least never lived up to the hype.

Id much much rather trade DOWN in this draft than trade up.     There is depth at RB and we dont really need a FEATURE back like Barkley.   We need an all purpose back who can split carries with Conner.   Conner showed some nice ability in the few chances he got last year.    I feel like he can replace alot of what we lose in the GROUND game with Leveon, but we need someone who can replace the passing game aspect (receiving and blocking).     

7 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

@warfelg, you and I see eye to eye on ALOT of things, but that is an outrageously bad decision to make a trade like that.

I am a diehard PSU fan and alum and I LOVE Barkley, but no one should ever mortgage their future for a RB like that, I dont care who the RB is.   This isnt the 80's/early 90s.    We have tons of holes on defense.    We are going to need a QB in the next couple years.    The only way you ever make a trade like that is if youre trading up for a QB....or maybe if you have a loaded team and you feel you are one piece away....but even then, Id never make that move for a RB.   Maybe a pass rusher or a blindside OT.    

The harsh reality is, most RBs drafted THAT early rarely live up to the hype.    Sure, there are great ones you can remember, but there are even more that you cant remember because they busted or at least never lived up to the hype.

Id much much rather trade DOWN in this draft than trade up.     There is depth at RB and we dont really need a FEATURE back like Barkley.   We need an all purpose back who can split carries with Conner.   Conner showed some nice ability in the few chances he got last year.    I feel like he can replace alot of what we lose in the GROUND game with Leveon, but we need someone who can replace the passing game aspect (receiving and blocking).     

Ok....I knew it wasn't going to be popular to do that, and I'm ok with it.

And here's the expanded reasoning:  If we were a team that hasn't historically split snaps and touches well between the feature back and the backup.  We've been so much better with Bell because of his ability to be a feature back that can carry the ball, pass protect, catch out of the backfield, and line up at WR.  I don't necessarily need that last one out of a back, but having a back who can do multiple things like that can make you so much more dangerous.

Because we're a team that doesn't rotate back that well, and we're better with a more versatile back I wanted to take the risk to get the guy I know can do it in this draft.  

Who knows maybe a new OC would rotate backs more often.  But Conner did tare that MCL late in the season and I'm not 100% sure he would be ready to go in camp.  In fact I wouldn't be shocked if he starts the season on PUP and barely plays once he's activated.  So that would mean without getting an everydown back it would mean we have to get two running backs this offseason via trade/fa/draft.

10 hours ago, armsteeld said:

Warfelg basically answered it for me.  He has the complete package of athleticism that is off the charts, and that alone makes him better than 99% of them, just as it did Adrian Peterson.  He runs low.  He catches.  He blocks.  That's what makes him better than Adrian as a prospect.  He was always a 1 trick pony.  Barkley isn't.  I'm not saying that Barkley will be the GOAT.  But he looks the best coming out of college than anyone I've ever seen, and it isn't even close.  Other guys lacked the ability to contribute in the passing game, like Adrian.  Other guys lacked the breakaway speed for the big plays.  Other guys, like McCaffrey (the best receiving back I've seen), lacked the power and size to be the workhorse and power back.  

8 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

He also said Steelers have by far the best roster in the NFL.

Neither comment is remotely close to being true.     

I realize that saying "Barkley is the best RB prospect Ive ever seen" is an opinion....one he is entitled to....but no one objective and informed would ever make that assessment.     

You are so arrogant it is unreal.  

57 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Barkley is, by far, the best RB in the draft.  That being said, the draft is deep in RB.  Again, I would draft Penny in the 2nd and never look back. 

I just disagree with the assessment that it's that deep.  I think it's mid-heavy.  As in there's a ton of rotational guys and few everydown backs.

8 hours ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

You are so arrogant it is unreal.  

No, Im just not a fan of people who completely ignore logic and objective reasoning while pushing their agendas.

You claimed we had the best roster in the league...BY FAR...while bashing Tomlin.   You embarrassed yourself there regardless of what I said.

And then you said Barkley is the best RB prospect...BY FAR.  

Sorry, but Im not going to sugarcoat my feelings when it comes to stupid comments.  If you had simply said we had a really good roster and that Saquon was ONE of the best prospects in awhile, I wouldnt have said anything.  But your BY FAR comments were laughable at best.  

Archived