Hybrid mock

jebrick

Since I have been jousting with @warfelg on his mocks I thought I would make one up.  My point on this is to move to a hybrid front 7.  Not many adjustments need to be made but they need different talents.  I think Shazier is never going to play football again and the depth at ILB and OLB is horrible.

Steelers trade out of Rd 1 with the NY Jets as Lamar Jackson falls to the Steeler spot and the Jets move up to get him.  Steelers get 2.5 and 4.7

2.5 Leighton Vander Esch ILB Boise St. - This guy will be special.  Can break down a play quickly and react.  Will not be as blindly fast as Shazier but be more of a Farrior or Urlacher.

2.30 Tim Settle DT  Virginia Tech - This is the key for the Hybrid defense.  A big DT that can play 2 gap.

3.28 Quin Blanding, FS, Virginia - I am counting on getting FA for FS and ILB so I am hoping that Blanding has a year to learn

4.7 Tyquan Lewis, DE, Ohio State - Another pass rusher that can stand up or put hand on the gorund

5.11 Taylor Hearn, OG, Clemson - Nice versatile Olineman.  Can play multiple positions

5.28  Taron Johnson, CB, Weber State - At this point in the draft I think the small school CBs to have superior talent to what is left from the big schools.  Both Johnson and Harris could develop into solid CBs but it is a low risk area to pick.

6.28 Davontae Harris, CB, Illinois State

7.28 Johnny Townsend, P, Florida - hate drafting a punter but Barry has to go

3 hours ago, jebrick said:

Since I have been jousting with @warfelg on his mocks I thought I would make one up.  My point on this is to move to a hybrid front 7.  Not many adjustments need to be made but they need different talents.  I think Shazier is never going to play football again and the depth at ILB and OLB is horrible.

Steelers trade out of Rd 1 with the NY Jets as Lamar Jackson falls to the Steeler spot and the Jets move up to get him.  Steelers get 2.5 and 4.7

2.5 Leighton Vander Esch ILB Boise St. - This guy will be special.  Can break down a play quickly and react.  Will not be as blindly fast as Shazier but be more of a Farrior or Urlacher.

2.30 Tim Settle DT  Virginia Tech - This is the key for the Hybrid defense.  A big DT that can play 2 gap.

3.28 Quin Blanding, FS, Virginia - I am counting on getting FA for FS and ILB so I am hoping that Blanding has a year to learn

4.7 Tyquan Lewis, DE, Ohio State - Another pass rusher that can stand up or put hand on the gorund

5.11 Taylor Hearn, OG, Clemson - Nice versatile Olineman.  Can play multiple positions

5.28  Taron Johnson, CB, Weber State - At this point in the draft I think the small school CBs to have superior talent to what is left from the big schools.  Both Johnson and Harris could develop into solid CBs but it is a low risk area to pick.

6.28 Davontae Harris, CB, Illinois State

7.28 Johnny Townsend, P, Florida - hate drafting a punter but Barry has to go

Vander Esch is someone I need to look into.

Love Settle.

Blanding is a SS that takes bad angles too much.

Lewis seems good there.

I like Harris.

The rest I don't know.

30 minutes ago, Alex said:

What is your thought on Marcus Davenport?

Interesting but not what the Steelers would spend a 1st round pick on. I think he will be on their board but their is a hole at ILB.  If that is not addressed in Fa my guess is that Evans, Smith and Esch will be given more weight.  I think Vita Vea could be the pick if he is there as he would help.  It means they are giving up on Hargraves but Vea is a talent.  I do not think the Steelers will give up on Dupree so any OLB will be depth.

Drafting Davenport would mean we are going either hybrid or and 4-3.  Honestly, there aren't any good ILBs I see that could replace Vince Williams, there are too many Vince Williams clone in this year draft, getting a nose tackle or and a true pass rusher that play in the dirt could mask our deficiencies at the ILBs.

16 hours ago, jebrick said:

Evans and Smith would be good Shazier replacements.  Esch would be good as well but more of a Farrior or Posluszny  type.I would also like to look at Chris Worley

If they are as intelligent as Potsie and Poz that would greatly benefit our defense. Our biggest issue isn't lack of talent, it's lack of football intelligence. We are bad communicators.

Archived