Jimmie Ward Begins Training Camp on active/PUP

y2lamanaki

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Hamstring injuries are never good and could be tricky, but hopefully he is only out for a couple of weeks. He's going to be one of if not THE most important piece on the defense playing the Thomas role.

I agree with the last sentence. I think Ward will be the glue that makes the entire secondary hold together, especially with younger corners in front of him. Granted, on year 4 - Ward isn't exactly the wily vet back there (Reid, in his 5th year, still has more experience, even), but I trust him more than any other DB, and playing that center field role, he can help make up for any corner that's struggling. 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

He's the only one with that type of make up speed at the safety position. Will be interesting to see who gets the shot at FS while Ward is still rehabbing. 

I hope they don't put Reid there and Tartt at SS. While I think that would put our two best remaining safeties on the field, I want Reid to get the practice time in his new role. Hopefully it's Lorenzo Jerome. I want to see what he has. 

aw man.. sucks to hear this, though likely not a real problem for the important stuff ahead. 

Was a huge fan of Ward as a prospect, and have always expected a transition to S. Hope and expect he earns that 5th yr contract money. 

Now is going to be Jerome's time to really try and nail down a roster spot. Currently, I think he ends up on the practice squad, but if he can take advantage of the longer looks due to Ward's injury, he could definitely end up stealing a roster spot from one of our other safeties. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So looks like Tartt is taking Ward's place today at FS.

So from considering about playing him as LB he's actually moved in the other direction. Not sure about who actually is the best option when Ward is out, it surprises me though that it's not Reid. Anyway Ward out sucks. I hope Jerome really can justify the little bit of hype he's created.

7 minutes ago, AustrianNiner said:

So from considering about playing him as LB he's actually moved in the other direction. Not sure about who actually is the best option when Ward is out, it surprises me though that it's not Reid. Anyway Ward out sucks. I hope Jerome really can justify the little bit of hype he's created.

If this were the regular season, Reid would almost certainly move over to FS with Tartt at SS. Right now - since Ward probably is not expected out long - it makes more sense to give Reid practice reps at his full-time position. 

This does get our 2nd and 3rd best safety on the field at the same time, but I don't really see Tartt as a real FS option. 

Archived