Kendricks Conundrum; Asked For Trade, Denied

Kiltman

6 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

I thought Kendricks was decent in his limited time but even if you didn't think he was good last season you have to admit he's three steps ahead of an UDFA practice squad LB returning from a season ending injury and a 5th round safety that is being converted to a linebacker.

Then why are we having this discussion? 

I don't know if he really is. Hes not that good. 

3 minutes ago, Bednarik60 said:

Then why are we having this discussion? 

We're having the discussion because in your post you stated that He's not better than Cherry of Gerry. I presented an alternate view in which I believe that Kendricks is three steps ahead of both of those players.

Even if Kendricks is replacement level I don't think you can rely on UDFAs or rookie draft picks that are being converted to take any significant snaps on a playoff caliber team.

9 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

We're having the discussion because in your post you stated that He's not better than Cherry of Gerry. I presented an alternate view in which I believe that Kendricks is three steps ahead of both of those players.

Even if Kendricks is replacement level I don't think you can rely on UDFAs or rookie draft picks that are being converted to take any significant snaps on a playoff caliber team.

I don't know what team your talking about? 

Just now, Hockey5djh said:

The team the 2017 Eagles hope to be.

A good season will be 8-8. Why do you even care about the playoffs? Even if by some stupid luck and our crappy division, we got lucky and got in, we would just get embarrassed in a wild card game and end up with a worst draft pick. 

1 hour ago, Bednarik60 said:

A good season will be 8-8. Why do you even care about the playoffs? Even if by some stupid luck and our crappy division, we got lucky and got in, we would just get embarrassed in a wild card game and end up with a worst draft pick. 

Pessimistic Paul over here.

I think 8-8 is....acceptable but I wouldn't be happy with it. Doug would most likely be on the hot seat going into 2018.

A good season to me is 9-7 or 10-6 which is flirting with playoffs. Once you get in the playoffs anything can happen. See: 2011 Packers, 2008 Giants, etc.

One thing I've never understood about Kendricks is why struggles so bad in coverage. It's not a physical thing. He's as athletic as they come. So in his 5 years in the league has he just put THAT little of an effort to improve in that area?

46 minutes ago, Jlash said:

One thing I've never understood about Kendricks is why struggles so bad in coverage. It's not a physical thing. He's as athletic as they come. So in his 5 years in the league has he just put THAT little of an effort to improve in that area?

Coverage is just a whole different game.  You have to know your place in space, have to anticipate routes and read the quarterback.  I'd argue football IQ is more important than athleticism when it comes to coverage; at least for a linebacker, where more times than not, you're playing in a zone rather than man to man.

7 minutes ago, BLick12 said:

Coverage is just a whole different game.  You have to know your place in space, have to anticipate routes and read the quarterback.  I'd argue football IQ is more important than athleticism when it comes to coverage; at least for a linebacker, where more times than not, you're playing in a zone rather than man to man.

That's what I mean. I've seen so many LB's with much less physical ability excel in coverage. It's a matter of putting the work in, and I don't think he does it.

Mychal had his best year in Chip's 3-4 when he was being used in different pass rushing packages. He wasn't the perfect LB but I think he actually looked good in that role, which is surprising because he was drafted for the 4-3 and that's where he on paper should fit. I just don't think he has a good sense of pass coverage and becomes a liability despite being so athletic. Maybe he's better suited in a similar role he had a few years ago where he's mostly a pass rusher, but I dunno at this point since we haven't seen him in so long.

Mychal also over-pursues a lot. I just think he lacks the spacial awareness and what his role on the field is. Perhaps that's something that can be learned through familiarity and experience, I don't know though for sure.

49 minutes ago, Phire said:

Mychal also over-pursues a lot. 

This is like 90% of his problem.  He is fast, but lacks body control and change of direction skills. He needs to get back to the fundamentals of pursuing. Kinda why i see him again like a lot of Eagles, excelling somewhere else who would work with him on those fundamentals. 

I like Jim Schwartz but hes doesn't come off to me as a super detail orientated or personable or patient guy. I could be wrong. He also comes off to me as a guy who is here for a cup of coffee and is interviewing for his next head coaching job . So he doesn't have a lot of time if your struggling with the basics. I hope i'm wrong. 

Archived