Sino Kelemete

Released:

Colby Fleener, Nick Fairley (medical)

Restructured:

Max Unger, Zach Strief, Thomas Morstead

Tendered (RFA):

Brandon Coleman, Willie Snead, Delvin Breaux

Comments…

Brees is a no brainer and while I know many of us have soured on Vaccaro, I just don’t think this front office is ready to move on from him and I know he wants to stay. Oakfor is a priority as well. Kelemete is a player I’d love to see back and I think the Saints will make an effort to keep him but big money and the lure of a starting position will likely draw him out of town. Fleener will be a cap causality and sadly the Saints will move on from Fairley. Unger and Morstead will restructure their deals, while Strief takes a pay cut and accepts a reduced role as a reserve in 2018 giving it one more shot at another championship before joining the coaching staff in 2019. Of the Saints restricted free agents I believe Coleman, Snead and Breaux will all be tendered and of the 3, Coleman being maybe the only one to return. My reasoning for all the above is that this is a team that “should” have gone to the Superbowl this season, even with the plethora of injuries they suffered. The smart thing to do would be to bring this team back healthy and just add improvements to it and see if it’s enough to get us over the hump.

Free Agent Additions:

Trey Burton [TE] Philadelphia Eagles, Aaron Colvin [CB] Jacksonville Jaguars

Comments…

Burton is a young promising tight end that has proven that he possesses the skill set to be a high end NFL starter in this league. Colvin has been an excellent slot corner for the Jaguars this season and has the size, cover skills and physicality the Saints covet in corners. Adding Colvin via free agency would be a wise investment and give the Saints tremendous versatility with how they deploy their defensive secondary as the undersized Colvin can play either out on the edge or in the slot.

2018 Mock Saints Draft:

Round 1: Rashaan Evans, LB: Alabama

Round 3: Frank Ragnow, OC/OG: Arkansas

Round 4: Jake Wieneke, WR: South Dakota State

Round 5: BJ Hill, DT: North Carolina State

Round 5: Trey Quinn, WR: Southern Methodist

Round 6: Mike Love, DE: South Florida

Round 6: Matthew Thomas, LB: Florida State

Round 7: Mike White, QB: Western Kentucky

Comments…

Evans is tailor made to play for Mike Nolan and would give the Saints some much needed speed and athletisim at the linebacker position. The Ragnow selection is a replacement for Sino Kelemete as well as an eventual successor to Max Unger down the line. Wieneke is a small school big body physical reciever who catches everything thrown his way and could develop into a nice compliment to Mike Thomas. BJ Hill gives us depth at the nose with a player defensive line coach Ryan Nielson is very familiar with, while Trey Quinn could be an excellent slot receiver in Sean Payton’s system. Mike Love possesses tons of untapped athletic ability and has the body type (6’4” 265lbs) that coach Nielson wants in a defensive end. Matthew Thomas (much like Mike Love) is a very fast and athletic defender that could blossom with hard NFL coaching. Mike White has good size and passing ability; he reminds me a lot of Trevor Siemian coming out of Northwestern and gives the Saints another camp arm to compete with Taysom Hill in 2018.

WHODAT

Too many small school prospects IMO, in order to have playoff calibur depth it's best to stock up on Blue Chip "talent" even if it's just depth. 

6 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

Since when have the Saints shied away from small school prospects?

Depends on the position and spot in the draft.  They have 0 qualms about OL from small schools prospects but it seems like at the more marquee positions, especially high picks, they prefer more blue chip prospects.  I do think that after the 2nd round the Saints have 0 qualm going for small school guys, but in the 1st 2 rounds it just feels like they prefer blue chip prospects, though I feel QB would be a position they would be willing to compromise on.

5 hours ago, jcvoodoo said:

Do you think resigning KV works if you know you have deal in place to trade him for a 2nd? Or am I just being unrealistic?

Why would a team trade us a pick when they can sign him themselves.  This isn't like the NBA where a S&T happens due to cap situations all the time.  It would be one thing if we picked up an option on him and then traded him to a team that wanted to guarantee themselves his services, or through a franchise tag, but other than that it won't work.

58 minutes ago, Raves said:

Why would a team trade us a pick when they can sign him themselves.  This isn't like the NBA where a S&T happens due to cap situations all the time.  It would be one thing if we picked up an option on him and then traded him to a team that wanted to guarantee themselves his services, or through a franchise tag, but other than that it won't work.

ahh, ok. Thank you for the answer/clarification.

Seeing as Drew Brees and Alex Smith share the same agent, I think Drew is going to get something similar to Alex. Maybe not as many years, but certainly $24m+ per year. Drew has never been one to give the Saints a break, so I could see him trying to get even more.

On 1/30/2018 at 8:00 PM, JMG5 said:

Seeing as Drew Brees and Alex Smith share the same agent, I think Drew is going to get something similar to Alex. Maybe not as many years, but certainly $24m+ per year. Drew has never been one to give the Saints a break, so I could see him trying to get even more.

Brees might get a bigger average salary than Smith's reported $23.25 million per year but won't get anywhere near the amount of guaranteed money Smith will.

The Saints have made it clear that they only want to pay Brees one year at a time now that he is 39 years old. And Brees has been willing to play ball.

Two years ago, Brees settled for a one-year, $24.25 million extension when he was heading into the final year of his deal. Last year, Brees and the Saints didn't even talk about an extension and allowed his contract to run out.

Source ESPN

Not sure what this means or infers, as I am not clarovoyant. However, it seems since Mr. Brees has shown willingness to play ball (pun fully intended), I hope he signs a deal that's a win for all involved. 

p.s. Tom Condon is a money hungry you know what.

5 hours ago, jcvoodoo said:

Not sure what this means or infers, as I am not clarovoyant. However, it seems since Mr. Brees has shown willingness to play ball (pun fully intended), I hope he signs a deal that's a win for all involved. 

p.s. Tom Condon is a money hungry you know what.

I'm expecting at least $25m/year. Maybe on a 2 year deal with an option for a 3rd.

1 hour ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Do you think if the Jags offered Brees two years for say $55 million, all guaranteed, would that be enough for Brees to leave?

I know both sides want to work it out for him to stay in NO. Just don’t know how many years and how much $ the Saints want to go.

I highly doubt he leaves. I'm 99% sure he will be playing in a Saints uniform next season. The Saints want him back, and will probably be willing to pay him what he asks, and he has made it clear he wants to play here next season. On the off chance that things somehow take a turn for the worst and they hate each other in the coming weeks then I could see Jacksonville being a desirable location for him. The defense is stacked, and the offense has a lot of young weapons. It would be an ideal situation for him to finish out his career, but I don't see him leaving. 

I haven't researched the Blake Bortals contract to know if it even makes sense for the Jags to go after a QB, but with an up & coming, young team that made it to the AFC Champs game, I doubt they even consider taking an old QB who's on the downhill slide when we all know it takes a few seasons for the QB to sync with his line and receivers.

I think it's a silly conversation. Only a desperate team would take on Brees at this point. The sweet spot for his career is to just stay put with the surroundings and chemistry he's familiar with, take appropriate pay, and retire in a few years as a Saint.

Archived