Mock-Offseason 1.0 (Revised)

whodatworm23

12 hours ago, Raves said:

I like the Pryor suggestion, he's also got a good deep ball so the play that Snead ran would work really well as well.  As I told @whodatworm23 I actually felt Pryor was the better QB prospect coming out because although he wasn't as accurate etc he knew how/when to take some chances throwing the ball whereas I feel like JT needs to have a guy open before he's willing to throw to them most of the time.  Like I don't think he could run an offense from behind and requiring him to take a risk and make a throw like you will have to at the NFL level at times, unless of course you have a #1 defense.

I do think that Butler will be targeted, I think he would be a good fit across from Lattimore.  He might not be completely worth the money he'll get, though I think it might be less this year than it would've been last year with a slightly down year compared to the previous and him being a year older.  I think if we can get him at 10/yr then we definitely move on him as having him and Lattimore as the top 2 guys will allow Jordan and whoever is across from him to get time to get to the QB.  Though the other option is possibly investing another 1st round pick on CB getting a guy like Ward/Jackson if they are there and rolling with Crawley/Breaux/Williams as 2-4 if we don't get someone in the draft.

I just don't see Payton going into 2018 with Crawley or Breaux as the starter accross from Lattimore. Both will be on the team for sure but Crawley was far to penalty prone while Breaux hasnt proven to be healthy enough to stay on the field. People can say what they want about Butler but this I know... he's a top NFL corner whos physical and competes his butt off. He's a great fit for this defense and he's very durable, on top of that Sean Payton loves his "make up" likley reffering to his past as a undrafted free agent. The Saints have 4 more years before they have to either franchise lattimore or give him a massive extention. The Saints can sign Butler for 4 years to pair him with lattimore for this 3 year window with Brees then move on from Butler prior to extending Lattimore. 

2 hours ago, JMG5 said:

1. Let Kenny walk. He is too inconsistent and even when he is giving maximum effort he still isn't great.

2. Butler is someone I don't want the Saints to get. He will be demanding like 15 mil per year, and that money could be better spent elsewhere. They're also probably keeping Breaux since he is a RFA. As for Lee, I think we're going to keep Snead and Coleman since they're RFAs, so I'm not sure where he would fit. He seems like a deep threat and we already have that in Ginn.

3. I wouldn't be angry with this draft, but I also wouldn't be excited. Key doesn't fit our defense. He is a 3-4 OLB in my opinion and we would be drafting based on potential with the hope he puts on weight. We're better off going with a DT assuming the top three LBs are gone.

1. I agree

2. Butler like many before him can seek whatever he wants but the market will dictate his worth. He's not getting 15 per, he will likley have to choose between 12-13 on a terrible team or 10-11 on a contender. That's his choice.

3. Key can play either... he has Aldon Smith type ability and raw power. Key converts speed to power about as good as Ive scouted, his first step is wicked. When he's on he's domminate.

4 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

ESPN, NFL, Official Redskins, NFLDraftScout and Rotoworld all list him as 6'4" 225ish.

Sure nobody on here knows exactly, but you can look at the guy and tell he's not 6'6" nor 240lbs.  

My sincere apology for not looking at the same sources you did, or not knowing a 2" difference by "looking at the guy". I go for stats with the source I posted, they listed his size, and that's what I go by.

I'll be sure to double check all my future posts with you prior to posting, so as to not mislead any faithful readers.

10 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

My sincere apology for not looking at the same sources you did, or not knowing a 2" difference by "looking at the guy". I go for stats with the source I posted, they listed his size, and that's what I go by.

I'll be sure to double check all my future posts with you prior to posting, so as to not mislead any faithful readers.

Lmao idk what your problem is dude. You’ve given me nothing but attitude the last few days. you still recovering from the loss or what’s going on?

I’m trying to have a football discussion, you don’t need to act like everything is a personal attack.

we’re talking about football players and how they fit this team... a football player was mentioned and the height and weight that you gave were inaccurate so I pointed it out. That’s not a shot at you, that actually what the forum is for, the spreading of knowledge.

You seem to have taken offense to this? Why is this an issue? 

2 hours ago, Spartica4Real said:

Unrealistic, you had the Saints draft an LSU player. ;) 

I know... A troubled one at that. Reastically I dont see Key falling to 27, however I do see him falling out of the top 15 picks. I think a solid landing spot for him could be Detroit at 20.

Regarding TE - I posted this a few months ago and I still feel this way, and Worm is consistent too. I'd be thrilled with any of these 3 guys.

Mike Gesicki from Penn State is a big guy who can run block and catch. He's at 6'6" and about 250lbs. He's not a big name guy, but I think if we could land him in the 3rd, I'd be thrilled.

Troy Fumagalli. He's a big kid too, at 6'6". I see his draft stock has dropped a bit recently. I'm not sure why. I'm assuming due to a leg injury. 

Dalton Schultz from Stanford is also a big target that I like.

I like Gesicki, Schultz, Fumagalli, basically in that order. 

Gesicki has good history with good production, and has been part of a continuous winning team.
Fumagalli is similar, but he's injured, so that is concerning to me.
The Schultz kid has been touted as a Jason Witten type player. Well, who wouldn't want that guy?

8 hours ago, jcvoodoo said:

I'm digging the FAs. Frees room to draft BPA over need once we get Evans.

Imma admit it... This is a HARD year to try and peg where the Saints might go especially in the 1st and not having a 2nd will defentely impact that selection as well. Thia is why im having such a haed time setteling in on a mock. Its conatantly changing in my head. I love Evans fit under Nolan but its kinda a hope he falls to 27th... Realistically I feel the Saints will be forced to trade up if they want a shot at one of the top 3 "off ball" LB's in this draft (Roquon Smith, Tremaine Edmunds or Rashaan Evans). 

If they stay put at 27th... All the mock scenarios if done, the best available talent typically is either at DE with guys like Rasheem Green and Sam Hubbard or at WR with maybe a playmaker like Christian Kirk. Slot corner and return man Donte Jackson and physical NT Harrison Phillips would also fall into that area of the draft and fills a need for this team.

1 hour ago, JMG5 said:

Burton looks undersized. He is not our answer at TE.

If he is even a mediocre blocker he absolutely has a spot on this team, I think he could be an excellent H-back type like Dave Thomas was.

We’ve tried finding that guy a few times in Watson (ended up up playing well enough to be our starter instead) Hoom (not he athlete were looking for) and Hill in his rookie year. it’s definitely a position Payton values, but Line played great this year.

But I agree we need a big bodied TE that can line up next to one of our bookends and do some damage for Kamara and Ingram. Burton would definitely be a luxury and IDK if this is the off-season for luxuries.

2 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

If he is even a mediocre blocker he absolutely has a spot on this team, I think he could be an excellent H-back type like Dave Thomas was.

We’ve tried finding that guy a few times in Watson (ended up up playing well enough to be our starter instead) Hoom (not he athlete were looking for) and Hill in his rookie year. it’s definitely a position Payton values, but Line played great this year.

But I agree we need a big bodied TE that can line up next to one of our bookends and do some damage for Kamara and Ingram. Burton would definitely be a luxury and IDK if this is the off-season for luxuries.

Agree to an extent... I keep going back to the 2-3 year window, Payton and Brees will want impact players as they know there close. Have to weigh the option of hoping a player develops within that window. What we cannot expect is that this franchise will land the type of draft class like they got in 2017 every year because thats unrealistic. Added to that is last years draft was lauded as a extremly deep class while this years class is kinda hohum to be honest. We need to get players that can help us within this window particularlly in free agency reguardless of their lack of measurables as long as they can make an impact.

Archived