Draft Prospects Packers Are Linked to (Gutey Edition)

Packerraymond

• 2 weeks later...

Outside of the height angle, does Lewis have the length Datone has? I'm with AG20 on Lewis as well. I think he'd be an interesting fit and potentially one of those effective role player types you get in the mid-rounds. 

As for Bates, I don't like the fact that he's coming out really early. Dude still has two more years of eligibility. If we were to bring him in, I'd rather not spend a pick on him.

2 hours ago, ArthurPensky said:

http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/02/07/report-packers-interested-in-underrated-safety-prospect/

The Green Bay Packers are “looking hard” at Wake Forest safety Jessie Bates III, according to Tony Pauline of Draft Analyst.

I don't think he'll be underrated if he has a good Combine. Great size, great production, young (21 I believe). Glad to see he's on our radar.

Speaking in a vacuum I sure hope our secondary doesn't turn out like the DL did a couple years ago (Thornton, Neal, Worthy etc). A ton of capital has been tossed at it already and likely more this upcoming draft. I don't think you drafted Jones that high to be a Richardson type guy only, although that role may see more snaps. We need to have some of these guys step up / pan out. 

6 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Speaking in a vacuum I sure hope our secondary doesn't turn out like the DL did a couple years ago (Thornton, Neal, Worthy etc). A ton of capital has been tossed at it already and likely more this upcoming draft. I don't think you drafted Jones that high to be a Richardson type guy only, although that role may see more snaps. We need to have some of these guys step up / pan out. 

Hopefully Montravius Adams is ready for prime time next season after his redshirt rookie season.  He could help add some punch to that DLine.

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

Hopefully Montravius Adams is ready for prime time next season after his redshirt rookie season.  He could help add some punch to that DLine.

He would certainly have a positive domino affect on rotations, that's for sure. He does carry that lazy tag that Thornton had. The secondary is the big story though. Scares the hell out of me

3 hours ago, Joe said:

As for Bates, I don't like the fact that he's coming out really early. Dude still has two more years of eligibility....

I've got mixed feelings on the young versus older guys. 

I generally tend to like young guys:  1.  They may have more physical ceiling, to grow into significantly more strength.  2.  They may have more untapped ability to improve by getting coached up, and improve their fundamentals and stuff.  3.  I think young guys like Bates who played a ton as soph-fresh wouldn't have played if they weren't smart enough and instinctive enough so that their college coach was willing to play them early.  So much of NFL is smarts and decision-making, and I think guys who were smart enough to play a lot early in college will have a good chance to be smart enough in the NFL.   

But, you only control a guy for so many years.  If a young guy is too physically undeveloped and weak, or too experience-challenged to be able to play pretty early, it's a huge waste of the cheap years.  

I **hate** going for redshirt seniors, like Fackrell and Thornton and the corner Lee (?) we took in the Brohm draft.  After 5 years of college, don't think guys have much more physical strength to add.  And if it took them that long, it may mean they were either injury-prone, or even worse it may mean that they were not-so-smart.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/7/2018 at 11:23 AM, cannondale said:

He would certainly have a positive domino affect on rotations, that's for sure. He does carry that lazy tag that Thornton had. The secondary is the big story though. Scares the hell out of me

Didn’t Adams play an ungodly number of snaps in college? In an NFL rotation I’m not worried about him taking plays off. 

I really wonder if, like TT did when he took over, they may just clean house -especially in D secondary.  HaHa said he was frusterated because too many just showed up to collect paychecks and not get hurt.   (poor tackling, playing soft... which was noticeable)  It will be interesting to see how many big name divas remain on D after the HUGE number of draft picks they have.  They need killer instinct on D - not soft zone, arm blocking, blame the safety.... #@-t.  Here's to hoping they trade down and down again and end up with 20 picks they can use on players WHO WANT TO PLAY FIERCE.  

10 hours ago, tredpack said:

@HorizontoZenith

Want Away, Home, or Alternate? I peg you for the Walmart T-shjersey type. 

You don't want to get me a jersey.  First, I never wear them.  Second, my jersey history...

First jersey I got was a Brett Favre jersey.  Got it because I was sad he retired.  X amount of drama later, he was a Jet. 

Second jersey I got was of a guy that I shouted at while at Lambeau Field.  He looked up, gave me a peace sign, it felt awesome to have interacted with my favorite player.  The player was a Viking at the time, so I couldn't get his jersey then.  He was a Saint next, so I couldn't get his jersey then.  A while after he retired, I saw his jersey for sale somewhere and got it.  A short while later, Darren Sharper is getting arrested for being a deplorable, horrible subhuman being. 

Archived