Draft Prospects Packers Are Linked to (Gutey Edition)

Packerraymond

Also, when it comes to Nelson, just imagine that.  Ted Thompson spends a decade turning nothing into something at the guard position.  He starts off by letting two pro bowl, one all pro guard go.  It's shaky at first, but he keeps investing later picks in them and they get better and better until he gets Lang and Sitton, probably the best guard duo most teams have had in the past ten years.  Thompson leaves his next GM with loads of potential at guard, potential that looks better now than Taylor did before he turned into a damn fine guard. 

Gute - Nope, best pick this team has had in 10 years, I'm using it on a effing guard. 

I would just die.  I would just absolutely die.  I just cannot fathom the rationality behind it. 

Two.  TWO. 

There have been TWO guards drafted in the top 14 since 2000.

It doesn't get much better in decades where the interior of the line was important, either.  Since 1980, there have been only 14 guards selected in the top 14.  There have only been 46 guards taken in the first round since 1980.  1980.  This is when running the football was king, and still... Only 46 guards in round one since 1980.

This isn't a coincidence.  This isn't due to lack of talent.  28 guards have gone within the first 10 picks of the second round.  52 have gone in the second round altogether.  

Every single time this conversation comes up I just want to slap something.  When I kept hearing about Chance Warmack, I was like... But he's a guard.  When the Titans took him I was like... This is why I can't name five players who play for the Titans.

When the Cardinals took Jonathan Cooper, I was living in Phoenix.  Everybody was happy with the pick saying, "It's one position we won't have to worry about for the next ten years."

I just died inside.  No, you're supposed to say that for literally ANY pick.  ANY pick is supposed to come with the prerequisite of, "Don't have to worry about this position for the next ten years."  That's what comes with a first round pick.  You need to feel that way about any first round pick. 

Except for DeCastro, Martin, Garnett, Long and Ifedi (all with the teams that drafted them currently), there have been 17 guards selected in the first round since 2000.  Here is how many years they spent with the team that drafted them:

5, 6, 5, 9, 8, 5, 5, 2, 4, 5, 2, 2,

Where is the ten years of service?  These are all players that either busted so hard they're out of football, signed a contract with a different team after their rookie deals, or they were traded.  First round guards are averaging LESS than their rookie deals.  4.8 years. 

Cooper was can't miss.  Warmack was can't miss.  YOU CAN TOO MISS WHEN TAKING A GUARD.

Considering the biggest arguments for taking a guard are "ten years don't have to worry," and "He's can't miss," I've just easily shown that guards are more likely to last less than 5 years, much less ten, and that yes, you can in fact MISS on a guard. 

What's the other reason?  Protect Rodgers?  Rodgers has twice gotten hurt by running out of the pocket and getting chased down by edge rushers.  Maybe the best way to protect Rodgers is to tell him to throw a mother effing pass to a effing running back and stop running around for 7 seconds a play trying to find the deep ball every single damn time.

I swear if we draft Nelson, I'm going to make it on ESPN or something for the lengths I will go to show my frustration with Gute.  I'm scared I might become YouTube famous from the  rage or something. 

EDIT: If you have to move this into the draft discussion place or something, go ahead.  Don't want to disrupt this thread with my raging, it's just that my rage started here. 

Just now, Gopackgonerd said:

I'm sure they meet with almost every top player at the combine, don't think this means anything.

Aren't you limited to how many players you can meet with?  Or is that interviews or something? 

Just now, MantyWrestler said:

Maybe they feel Nelson can play tackle as well. He’s bigger than Bakhtiari and has longer arms. 

1. Nelson has said he wants to play guard. 
2. We already have our future right tackle, too.  Spriggs looked bad in preseason, but he played fine in season.  I think he's our future.
3. If we draft Nelson to play tackle, I wouldn't even be livid.  I'd still dislike the pick, but I would accept it. 

3 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Aren't you limited to how many players you can meet with?  Or is that interviews or something? 

1. Nelson has said he wants to play guard. 
2. We already have our future right tackle, too.  Spriggs looked bad in preseason, but he played fine in season.  I think he's our future.
3. If we draft Nelson to play tackle, I wouldn't even be livid.  I'd still dislike the pick, but I would accept it. 

I'm not sure, but if there is I bet it's not a low number of players. I still wouldn't be worried about it unless like more and more reports come out saying how interested we are.

Archived