BrownLeader 2018 Mock Draft pt1

BrownLeader

Salute! & Salutations!

I only post two mocks for the draft season nowadays....a warm up then a full 7 rounder just before the draft.

So here's the warm up....3 Rounds.

Darnold’s probably the most well rounded QB in this class and he's the youngest. He's shown impressive ball placement, arm strength and clutch ability. He's a good scrambler and raises the level of play of the guys around him. But he's still more a project level guy that needs to clean up some things and manage the game better. The Browns would be wise to acquire a vet bridge QB with Hue Jackson still the HC. Back to back ruined rookie QBs would agree.
NFL Comp. weaker armed Matt Stafford

2. New York Giants - Josh Rosen |QB| UCLA
Rosen’s the most gifted passer in this class but durability concerns and intangibles will factor into his evaluation. Some clubs and fan bases might have a problem with a brash, affluent, outspoken liberal as the face of the franchise but that's a hollow negative.
NFL Comp. less durable Eli Manning

3. Indianapolis Colts - Saquon Barkley |RB| Penn St
Colts need to divert better from whichever QB is under center in 18’ and Barkley appears to be the kind of RB you can build an offense around.
NFL Comp. Curtis Martin

4. Cleveland Browns - Minkah Fitzpatrick |DB| Alabama
Minkah was a better CB than Marlon Humphrey and a better safety than Ha Ha Clinton Dix at Bama. I think he could be tried at either position as a pro and thrive.
NFL Comp. Rod Woodson

5. Denver Broncos - Baker Mayfield |QB| Oklahoma
Mayfield could end up being the highest drafted QB ever under 6’0. I think he'll need a transition period to sharpen his footwork and get comfortable with a pro scheme but he's got the tools and drive to develop into a solid starter. Caddying for Eli Manning for a season or two would be ideal.
NFL Comp. thicker Doug Flutie

6. New York Jets - Bradley Chubb |DE| NC State
Chubb appears to be one if the safest picks in the draft. He's got an all day motor, great technique and strong hands. He plays the run and rushes the pass equally well. Also an asset in the locker room and leader on the field.
NFL Comp Olivier Vernon

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Quenton Nelson |OG| Notre Dame
A plug and play interior OL who should make a line better from the jump. He's aware and quick upfront. Strong initial punch and bows up against the bull rush.
NFL Comp fatter David DeCastro

8. Chicago Bears - Denzel Ward |CB| Ohio St
Ward's a phenomenal athlete that can mirror anyone and will hit like a bigger player. His stature is his only weakness.
NFL Comp. D'Angelo Hall

9. Oakland Raiders - Derrius Guice |RB| LSU
The Raiders came off the rails last season and have turned to Gruden as the savior. Things have changed since he last coached but his old mantra, “Pound the Rock”, is still relevant. Guice is one of the most explosive runners in this class and has the physicality to be a 3 down back.
NFL Comp Ahmad Bradshaw

10. San Francisco 49ers - Josh Jackson |CB| Iowa
Jackson had a monster year and proved to be the most productive CB in the nation. He's a pro looking corner with few weaknesses. Not a blazer but possesses length, quickness, ball skills, and is a physical tackler
Still learning the position and might have some hiccups adjusting to NFL speed but he should continue to be a big playmaker as a pro.
NFL Comp humble Aqib Talib

11. Miami Dolphins - Roquan Smith |LB| Georgia
Smith's got a forever motor, speed and smarts that make up for his smallish size. Plays bigger than his size when he needs to or skirts around blocks with quickness. He could fit at any LB spot and be an upgrade on the Dolphins.
NFL Comp London Fletcher

12. Cincinnati Bengals - Orlando Brown |OT| Oklahoma
Throwback who looks better than his namesake. Length, ferocity and technique are strengths and mask just so so movement skills. Bengals could likely trade down and still find Brown...assuming someone wants to trade up. Most likely targets I'd figure would be Derwin James, Lamar Jackson or Ridley.
NFL Comp Phil Loadholt

13. Green Bay Packers - Harold Landry |OLB| Boston College
Landry had a down year mostly due to injury but I'm still a believer. Elite first step quickness, flexibility and a high motor are traits worth betting on. He flashes strong hands and the ability to get stout on the edge but his leverage and tackling are inconsistent.
NFL Comp Everson Griffin

14. Washington Redskins - Derwin James |LB/DB| Florida St
James is probably the top athletic freak in this entire class. He could play various positions but I think he's at his best closer to the los, than out in space.
NFL Comp Thomas Howard

15. Arizona Cardinals - Lamar Jackson |QB| Louisville
Jackson's not ready to throw at a NFL level, but the tools are all there. The Cards should be looking to lean on the run game for the near future and hire a big time QB guru/scheme designer. He'll be an exciting experiment in any case.
NFL Comp. faster, less clutch, 6’3 Vince Young

16. Baltimore Ravens - Calvin Ridley |WR| Alabama
Stand out speed, quickness and length on his 6’1 frame. Not a beast at the catch point or especially strong overall but has elite quickness and yac ability. Bamas’ QB less offense makes it hard to gauge WRs coming out.
NFL Comp. Nelson Agholor

17. LA Chargers - Billy Price |OC| Ohio St
Price was a solid OG in 16’ but became the most dominant OC in the nation last year. Big time run blocker and a technician in the pass game. As the game evolves, interior lineman are becoming just as coveted for some teams as outside lineman. I think Price could come off the board as high as 2016's Ryan Kelly.
NFL Comp Nick Mangold

18. Seattle Seahawks - Connor Williams |OT| Texas
Regarded as the #1 OT on many boards, I'm not near as high on him. His feet are just adequate and his technique can get erratic. I think he'd make a better OG.
NFL Comp. Robert Gallery

19. Dallas Cowboys - Maurice Hurst |DT| Michigan
Hurst is an interior disrupter that got into the backfield all year but also played well against the run. Lack of prototypical measurables is the only thing knocking his stock. Versatile despite his size but best suited in a 1 gap scheme where his quickness and recognition should give him the advantage.
NFL Comp Mike Daniels

20. Detroit Lions - Vita Vea |DT| Washington
The next freak Polynesian. Size, quickness and strength can't be missed on film. Not as consistent as you'd like but he's gifted and coachable.
NFL Comp faster Danny Shelton

21. Buffalo Bills - Courtland Sutton |WR| SMU
Unique short area quickness for a 6’4 220 WR. Brings a wingspan and hits top speed quickly but he's not especially fast and doesn't always box out to his advantage. Good not great hands.
NFL Comp quicker Devin Funchess

22. Buffalo Bills - Rashaan Evans |LB| Alabama
Bama LBs are well coached and Evans is the next Tide plug and play guy. His game is about speed and recognition. Thumping tackler with the athletic ability to do little bit of everything.
NFL Comp Zach Brown

23. LA Rams - Carlton Davis |CB| Auburn
Davis is a solid size/speed corner that plays sticky coverage and has few weaknesses. If he tests well he'll get 1st round consideration.
NFL Comp Trumaine Johnson

24. Carolina Panthers - Hercules Mata'afa |DE| Washington St
Undersized but gets into the backfield at will from the interior. Explosive and strong moving forward but has flashed open field mobility, backpedal and click & close. Forever motor. Needs to be coached up to play on the edge but has the tools to thrive there.
NFL Comp. Jabaal Sheard

25. Tennessee Titans - Marcus Davenport |OLB| UTSA
Davenport has been a beast at UTSA. If he flashes it in Mobile senior week he'll fly up boards. He's long and rangy with a great first step, uses leverage well and has a big motor.
NFL Comp Manny Lawson with a first step

26. Atlanta Falcons - Harrison Phillips |DT| Stanford
Monster year from Phillips taking up for the departed Solomon Thomas. Eats the double, gets free, finds the ball and has better interior quickness than it looks like he should. Vea is more of a specimen but Phillips is the more lunch pail guy.
NFL Comp Michael Brockers

27. New Orleans Saints - Dallas Goedert |TE| South Dakota St
Goedert has a lot to prove in Mobile but the film shows a dynamic talent at TE. If he tests well pre draft hell be a coveted prospect in April.
NFL Comp Vance McDonald with hands

28. Pittsburgh Steelers - Will Hernandez |OG| UTEP
Hernandez is a first off the bus type guy that actually backs it up on the field. He's a classic overpowering, mean, physical mauler with some quickness.
NFL Comp Richie Incognito

29. Jacksonville Jaguars - Braden Smith |OG| Auburn
Rock solid OL prospect with few weaknesses. Uses length to lock out, strength to control and has the feet/flexibility to mirror. Capable of playing multiple positions but inside is his bread & butter.
NFL Comp Logan Mankins

30. Philadelphia Eagles - Mike McGlinchey |OT| Notre Dame
A big mostly basic OT but is a technician and a generally solid pass protector and run blocker.
NFL Comp Sebastian Vollmer

31. Minnesota Vikings - Mason Cole |OG| Michigan
Cole’s played inside and out for the Wolverines and dominated at each position. He's a quick, play through the whistle throwback, who should step in straight away and make an OL better.
NFL Comp Zach Martin

32. New England Patriots - Taven Bryan |DT| Florida
Bryan explodes out of his stance into the backfield. His upside is immense and might get him over drafted. While his upfield rush is impressive, his mobility is linear and he's on the ground a lot.
NFL Comp Xavier Cooper

ROUND 2

33. Cleveland Browns - Kerryon Johnson |RB| Auburn
34. New York Giants - Kolton Miller |OT| UCLA
35. Cleveland Browns - Christian Kirk |WR| Texas A&M
36. Indianapolis Colts - Isaiah Wynn |OG| Georgia
37. New York Jets - Mason Rudolph |QB| Oklahoma St
38. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Arden Key |DE| LSU
39. Chicago Bears - Auden Tate |WR| Florida St
40. Denver Broncos - Chukwuma Okorafor |OT| Western Michigan
41. New England Patriots - Mike Hughes |CB| UCF
42. Miami Dolphins - Equanimeous St. Brown |WR| Notre Dame
43. Oakland Raiders - Isaiah Oliver |CB| Colorado
44. Green Bay Packers - Hayden Hurst |TE| South Carolina
45. Washington Redskins - Frank Ragnow |OC| Arkansas
46. Cincinnati Bengals - Josh Allen |QB| Wyoming
47. Arizona Cardinals - James Daniels |OC| Iowa
48. LA Chargers - Da'Ron Payne |DT| Alabama
49. New York Jets - Ronald Jones |RB| USC
50. Dallas Cowboys - Skai Moore |LB| South Carolina
51. Detroit Lions - Sony Michel |RB| Georgia
52. Baltimore Ravens - James Washington |WR| Oklahoma St
53. Buffalo Bills - Josh Sweat |DE| Florida St
54. Kansas City Chiefs - Jordan Whitehead |S| Pitt
55. Carolina Panthers - R.J. McIntosh |DT| Miami
56. Buffalo Bills - John Kelly |RB| Tennessee
57. Tennessee Titans - Tremaine Edmunds |LB| Virgina Tech
58. Atlanta Falcons - Mark Andrews |TE| Oklahoma
59. San Francisco 49ers - Jaire Alexander |CB| Louisville
60. Pittsburgh Steelers - Josey Jewell |LB| Iowa
61. Jacksonville Jaguars - Mike Gesiki |TE| Penn St
62. Cleveland Browns - Nick Nelson |CB| Wisconsin
63. Minnesota Vikings - Brian O’Neill |OT| Pitt
64. New England Patriots - Jaleel Scott |WR| New Mexico St

ROUND 3

65. Cleveland Browns - Ito Smith |RB| Southern Miss
66. New York Giants - Antonio Callaway |WR| Florida
67. Indianapolis Colts - Lorenzo Carter |LB| Georgia
68. Houston Texans - Martinas Rankin |OT| Mississippi S
69. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Deshon Elliott |S| Texas
70. San Francisco 49ers (CHI) - Rashaad Penny |RB| San Diego St
71. Denver Broncos - Mark Walton |RB| Miami
72. New York Jets - Darius Phillips |CB| Western Michigan
73. Miami Dolphins - Nick Chubb |RB| Georgia
74. Oakland Raiders - Jason Cabinda |LB| Penn St
75. San Francisco 49ers - D.J. Chark |WR| LSU
76. Washington Redskins - Anthony Miller |WR| Memphis
77. Cincinnati Bengals - D.J. Moore |WR| Maryland
78. Green Bay Packers - Wyatt Teller |OG| Virginia Tech
79. Arizona Cardinals - Quinton Meeks |CB| Stanford
80. Houston Texans (SEA) - Ronnie Harrison |S| Alabama
81. Dallas Cowboys - Ian Thomas |TE| Indiana
82. Detroit Lions - Levi Wallace |CB| Alabama
83. Baltimore Ravens - Akrum Wadley |RB| Iowa
84. LA Chargers. - Royce Freeman |RB| Oregon
85. Carolina Panthers ( BUF) - Marcel Ateman |WR| Oklahoma St
86. Kansas City Chiefs - Sam Hubbard |OLB| Ohio St
87. LA Rams - Malik Jefferson |LB| Texas
88. Carolina Panthers - Jaylen Samuels |TE| NC State
89. Tennessee Titans - Rod Taylor |OG| Ole Miss
90. Atlanta Falcons - Javon Mims |WR| Georgia
91. New Orleans Saints - Poona Ford |DT| Texas
92. Jacksonville Jaguars - Luke Falk |QB| Washington St
93. Pittsburgh Steelers - Holton Hill |CB| Texas
94. Buffalo Bills (PHI) - Rasheem Greene |DE| USC
95. Minnesota Vikings - Uchenna Nwosu |LB| USC
96. New England Patriots - Justin Reid |DB| Stanford
*97. Arizona Cardinals - Michael Gallup |WR| Colorado St
*98. Houston Texans - Cam Serigne |TE| Wake Forest
*99. Cincinnati Bengals - Jerome Baker |LB| Ohio St
*100. Green Bay Packers - Dante Pettis |WR| Washington
*101. Denver Broncos - Tim Settle |DT| Virginia Tech
*102. Baltimore Ravens - Davin Bellamy |LB| Georgia

I'd love much more defensive line help.

Great first round pick if his value is there.

OT is decent in round two, I would prefer defensive line help at the UT position. Deshon Elliot is an interesting option there.

LB in round three is okay, but very low need. While Settle wouldn't be ideal UT, I like his as a better option than LB.

For Cleveland - First round is pretty much set in stone. 

For the 2nd though.... Sitting at #33 with Arden Key still on the boards you drafted a RB that I have never heard of. (Not saying the kid has no talent but he could be available in the 3rd.)  Draft BPA. I'd value an OT over RB as well K. Miller is going to be a stud and Browns need a RT. But again if Key falls to us at #33. Draft him. 

I'm cool with Kirk. Philly's pick ain't too bad either. 

3rd - I'd rather have Penny or Chubb than Ito Smith. 

In general, Cleveland doesn't need 2 RBs in the first 65 picks. There is a lot more positions that could be addressed with better talent. Dorsey knows a thing or two about finding RB talent in the later rounds. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

For CLE, 

Not a fan of Darnold, Think Allen Will be hell of a lot better. CLE NEEDs to go Barkley at #1 get them a RB for years to come that will help any QB that is there. Then go draft Allen at #4 or wait and maybe he lands at #4 if no one can trade to #3. 

2nd NO way does KEY get passed on that far in the draft, He's a better prospect then 75% of the guys you have going in the 1st round. CLE would not skip that. 

Christian Kirk im Meh on, I think Pettis would be the better Pick

End of 2nd/Begining of 3rd. Martinas Rankins, Great Value at that pick, and then Deshonn Elliot all better picks then what you have and fill needs. 

BIlls fan here if draft played out like your mock above give us McGlinchy and Harrison Phillips in round 1 rebuild the OL and DL, then in the 2nd def would want Tremaine Edmunds over RB Kelly i highly doubt we go RB in round n def not Kelly, then in round 3 give us Dante Pettis and you have hit all our needs other than CB

Swap Malik Jefferson (wrong type of ILB for what the Rams need - they need the stack-and-shed thumper, not the cover-and-chase) for Tim Settle in the 3rd and that's a good Rams draft.

I don't know if I can see the front office doing it unless he ends up as someone Wade bangs the table for, but I could see - for the exact traits you describe - them taking a keen look at Mata'afa as that thumper/penetrator type akin to how 3-4 teams started taking a shine to Reddick last year as an ILB candidate.

Corner is certainly a "need" depending on how free agency shakes out, but this is a fairly deep and diverse CB class, and if they can strengthen the front-7, the Rams can honestly survive (I wouldn't prefer it, but it's doable) losing Tru Johnson to FA so long as Roby-Coleman is brought back and Kayvon Webster doesn't suffer any setbacks in his recovery.

I don't really hate the positions we take but i can't really get behind taking prospects worse than guys that went behind us at the same positions.  That just makes no sense to me whatsoever.  Daron Payne is a 15 to 20 guy and we can almost get Phillips in the 2nd round at our pick.   Payne is a much better player and prospect coming out and it's not really that close to me.  I would take any of Payne, Christian, Hurst, or Vea in the 1st round now if Phillips was our 2nd round pick i would be all for it as thats good and fair value.

You came back and did the same exact thing in the 2nd round by taking Mike G who is a 3rd to 4th round pick in the 2nd round he's not even the 2nd or 3rd best TE prospect in this draft that would be Goedert, Fumagalli, Samuels, and heck maybe even Breeneman.  He might not make it top 5 now that im thinking about it. When Mark Andrews who is a early to mid 2nd round guy and more talented is available there at our pick. 

Wims i like as a WR although i wish he was also a good return man as we really need a good slot receiver and return guy as i think Gab is gone.  Plus i don't think he goes as high as the 3rd round again with the WR class out there right now.  He is more so a 5th round guy who i would be ok taking in the late 4th. 

You did positions ok but the guys we got compared to what we could have had was terrible.  Here is the best draft we could have hoped for where we picked and who was available.

1st - Daron Payne - DT - Top 15  to 20 prospect and maybe the best DT of the big 4 from 15 to 32.

2nd - Brian O'Neill - OT/OG  - We need O-line help badly and he could step in right away to fix one of our OG positions in our zone blocking scheme.

3rd - Troy Fumagalli - TE - He is more than likely the 3rd best TE in this class after Hurst and Andrews. A 2nd to 3rd round TE and we would be lucky if he falls this far.  Great size and better athlete than most TE in this draft.  Knows routes well and great hands but the best part i like about him is he is a very good blocker and is a 3 down TE.

Archived