Todd Haley Leaving Pittsburgh; QB coach Randy Fichtner to replace him

The Gnat

1 minute ago, Darth Pees said:

I wonder what the Steelers' short yardage percentages are during Haley's tenure in Pittsburgh.

I would bet it's low compared to most other teams

24th in 4th down conversions (37.5%) and 22nd in red zone offense (50.8%) --- I think those numbers speak very highly as to why Haley is gone.  

Edited by warfelg

6 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I would bet it's low compared to most other teams

24th in 4th down conversions (37.5%) and 22nd in red zone offense (50.8%) --- I think those numbers speak very highly as to why Haley is gone.  

I'll be honest those seem high to me but maybe that's my haley bias really showing now. He had one of the most talented groups to work with and constantly was outcoached in short yardage and the redzone. I have lost track of how many 1st and goals from inside 5 yards and we attempt absolutely zero runs I have seen out of him. 

• Like 1

Just now, Big Snack said:

I'll be honest those seem high to me but maybe that's my haley bias really showing now. He had one of the most talented groups to work with and constantly was outcoached in short yardage and the redzone. I have lost track of how many 1st and goals from inside 5 yards and we attempt absolutely zero runs I have seen out of him. 

That was just this year.

• Like 1

This is a good thing.

Yes, they scored 42 on the Jaguars, but during the regular season it was week 11 until they scored 30 or more points, and they played 9 other teams that had way worse defenses. The offense was pathetic in the first few weeks.

• Like 1

It's amazing the number of Steeler fans who seem to be just giddy about this. 

Haley fielded a top 5 offense in each of his last 4 seasons with PIT, so I find this move odd, to say the least, but alas, everyone seems happy about it....not sure why, though.

I'm thinking this is Tomlin trying to save face, after a seasons worth of questionable calls on his part....

2 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

42 points against the Jags, 3rd in total offense this year. You can say he has some bad calls situationally but literally every coordinator does. Offensive production doesn't seem like the problem in Pittsburgh to me but hey, guess they're banking on this raising them from the third best offense to the 2nd or 1st.

there were bad call though.  Yes we shat on arians and for good reason. Wait and see how this season goes, but the Haley haters can rest for now.  42 points vs the jas was too late and miracle plays from AB for 2 TD's. The game was never close until the end . Bens getting his way, but lets see if this is the year he ends up on IR. When he like arians play calling he almost ended up on IR several times. 

45 minutes ago, tima said:

This is a good thing.

Yes, they scored 42 on the Jaguars, but during the regular season it was week 11 until they scored 30 or more points, and they played 9 other teams that had way worse defenses. The offense was pathetic in the first few weeks.

this teams offence underachieved . If the new HC can get them to play to their ability and make good calls, it could be finally a team that can outscore other teams. Still waiting to see what they do with the  D as it needs the most help. 

2 hours ago, skywlker32 said:

It can't be quantified really, but it is clear on the field that he regularly calls a very poor game.

The offensive production is likely more due to Brown developing and Le'Veon Bell coming to the team. If you want to attribute the success of the offense to a coach, I would point you to Munchak.

Munchak has been the most important person added to this team IMO, player or coach.  The offensive production is talent related , just think what other OC's would have done with this team. Haley deserves a bit off credit, but with this roster I would expect many others to step in and get similar or better results no problems.

1 hour ago, TXsteeler said:

Just let Ben call plays.

that could be next 

1 hour ago, lancerman said:

A lot of Patriots fans have said the same about McDaniels. I think every team can pick apart individual play calls and blame the OC. But the fact is the offense works. I don't know how we are going to assign credit. 

we had very bad calls in game and most recently the AFCCG. While many here like to blame Haley, how does the HC (and the other coaches)  not sit down with the OC and go over what plays to NOT call? Then consider how the QB sneak wasn't used on the 4th down etc. Blame for everyone , but lets see how this new OC does.