Todd Haley Leaving Pittsburgh; QB coach Randy Fichtner to replace him

The Gnat

1 hour ago, 3rivers said:

there were bad call though.  Yes we shat on arians and for good reason. Wait and see how this season goes, but the Haley haters can rest for now.  42 points vs the jas was too late and miracle plays from AB for 2 TD's. The game was never close until the end . Bens getting his way, but lets see if this is the year he ends up on IR. When he like arians play calling he almost ended up on IR several times. 

You shat on Arians for "good reason." You shat on Haley for "good reason." Arians already proved y'all wrong. What will it take for you to reconsider the way you treat your OCs? What does Haley need to do in his next stop?

I wasn't one the people that complained about Haley  like many on our forum did, but the calls in the Jags game were annoying.  As for what he has to do, it would be a start by attacking the D's weakness and not play into their strengths, and don't rule out a QB sneak on 4th and a foot for example.  We will see how this works for us, but I am not one of the Haley haters just to clarify.

Just learned that the entire D staff is returning O.o NOW that makes no sense after watching that game last weekend or does it?

Edited by 3rivers
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

42 points against the Jags, 3rd in total offense this year. You can say he has some bad calls situationally but literally every coordinator does. Offensive production doesn't seem like the problem in Pittsburgh to me but hey, guess they're banking on this raising them from the third best offense to the 2nd or 1st.

Remember that 14 of those 42 points were on low-percentage throws on 4th and long. 28 is still good but let's not lose sight of the fact that Haley was playing with a stacked deck - future Hall of Famers at QB and WR, an all-pro RB and a top-5 offensive line. 

Sometimes getting fired can be awesome in retrospect, all the ridiculous stressors you spend months or years agonizing over goes away literally overnight.

Your star RB keeps getting suspended or holds out or causes mid-playoff drama?  So what?  Will Ben play or won't he?  Who cares?  Does Bryant want to stay or go this week?  Not my chair not my problem, that's what I say.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Starless said:

Remember that 14 of those 42 points were on low-percentage throws on 4th and long. 28 is still good but let's not lose sight of the fact that Haley was playing with a stacked deck - future Hall of Famers at QB and WR, an all-pro RB and a top-5 offensive line. 

Oh I agree about the talent he had to work with for sure. I'm just not sure that side of the ball and scoring 42 (for this example) with the help of some miracle plays when fans think you should have scored 45 without miracle plays is exactly what they should be changing if they want to turn their recent playoff letdowns around. 

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

You shat on Arians for "good reason." You shat on Haley for "good reason." Arians already proved y'all wrong. What will it take for you to reconsider the way you treat your OCs? What does Haley need to do in his next stop?

Arians had a lot of deep drops, not a lot of running, and put Ben in bad positions health wise.

Haley would often game plan poorly and throw on good pass teams (100+ passes against the Jags in 2 games this year) or run on good run defending teams.

3 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Arians and Haley were both laughably bad situational playcallers and gameplanners in general.   Both would regularly move away from whats working.  Both would regularly fail to take advantage of favorable matchups.  Both consistently failed at situational playcalling.  Its easy to look at the stats and believe they have been good OCs without actually watching them week to week and coming to a more informed conclusion, but I promise you, both were mediocre OCs.  Arians was a terrific QB coach and Haley's offense was quite good, but neither were even remotely decent at situational play calling, and that was the biggest issue with both of them. And Haley has only ever had Elite talents on offenses he has coached as offensive coordinator both in Pittsburgh and Arizona. Any remotely decent coordinator could have success with the talent he had with both of those teams. Well or offense had plenty of success under him, it was also a lot more inconsistent than it had any right to be with the talent we have.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I'm sorry but this is just flat-out ignorance. How did Arians prove us wrong exactly? He was a pretty good head coach but that doesn't mean he was good as offensive coordinator. Yes he had some success with Arizona, but that doesn't mean it dismisses our biggest criticism of him, which was the situational play calling, which I've also heard Cardinals and Colts fans complain about during his time as offensive play-caller. So no, he didn't really prove anything wrong in regards to the criticism Steeler fans had about him.