NFL News & Notes

Leader

7 minutes ago, Leader said:

You find out the facts behind his recent behavior - and make a decision.
You want a potentially high ceiling guy - for bargain basement pricing?
Or are you so confident you've got it all covered you can take a pass.

The GBPs WR position is in flux. This year and next. 
For a fifth - I see if a guy with Gordon's skills can be made part of that future.

Risk reward.
Low risk (and cost) - potentially high reward.
You take no risk - you get no reward.
Its really that simple.

I see it as an opportunity lost and now NE holds all the cards.

I hear ya, just can see why we'd stay away. We'd have to put a guy on waivers likely one of the rooks. Just too much baggage for what i know i have in house already. to be honest i think we kept one too many WR's already but can understand why we did it. LIkely with next year Cobb and Allison off the books we may have rather spent in this years draft so we can go heavy with OLB and OL this year. Either way good for the Pats and Josh Gordon I hope he does ok there.

Just now, PACKRULE said:

I hear ya, just can see why we'd stay away. We'd have to put a guy on waivers likely one of the rooks. Just too much baggage for what i know i have in house already. to be honest i think we kept one too many WR's already but can understand why we did it. LIkely with next year Cobb and Allison off the books we may have rather spent in this years draft so we can go heavy with OLB and OL this year. Either way good for the Pats and Josh Gordon I hope he does ok there.

You don't think we could have cut one of the useless ILB to make room? Looks like Burks is back this week, maybe Josh Jones too. Or Trevor Davis for that matter who is completely useless? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Some internet genius is trying to second guess Bill Bellichick, LOL! Leader, you are wasting your breath with facts here. If this guy doesn't see the risk being more than worth the reward, no hope! 

I wish we had made this move, but would rather we make a move for an EDGE rusher. Probably can't have both! 

Golman really i don't see why it has to be such a harsh reaction. BB isn't a God at drafting and or FA moves if he was he wouldn't be reaching on a risky player. But thanks for being reasonable with your response to my response to leader. It's odd how some other internet genius told another internet genius how things work. Go figure.

2 minutes ago, Golfman said:

You don't think we could have cut one of the useless ILB to make room? Looks like Burks is back this week, maybe Josh Jones too. Or Trevor Davis for that matter who is completely useless? 

TD is on IR so he doesn't count. And yes we could cut another position so we could get back up in the high numbers for WR's. Look it doesn't matter it's semantics i won't try to convince you of anything. You wanted him whatever, Leader just made some notes and i responded with some of mine as to why I woudn't want him. I'm not genius like you though:)

I'm not saying anybody's right or wrong on Gordon.

I would have taken that shot. The cost was just too low not to take the shot - and - as stated, its not like our WR position isnt undergoing changes now. We have (and will maintain) the flexibility to include Gordon if he pans out.

Just took a look at Antonio Callaway's stats from yesterday. With Gordon out he's gonna become a prime target in the CLE passing game.
Now - I understand he's something of a slimeball - FAR WORSE - in my opinion than Gordons hassles.

Four targets - three receptions - 81yds - 47long - 1 TD.

Risk reward. We could have drafted this kid. Not saying we should have - but he's a talented football player - I THINK - with more problems than Gordon.
But he's cheap. He doesnt pan out - he''s gone with no repercussions. Till then - you ride the tiger.

14 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Some internet genius is trying to second guess Bill Bellichick, LOL! Leader, you are wasting your breath with facts here. If this guy doesn't see the risk being more than worth the reward, no hope! 

I wish we had made this move, but would rather we make a move for an EDGE rusher. Probably can't have both! 

We do need another EDGE. No doubt. Perhaps the Flag Football League has some promising talent.

The NFL’s former officiating chiefs don’t agree with the direction the league is headed with its new definition of roughing the passer. A league source confirmed that Clay Matthews hit on Kirk Cousins late in Sunday’s Green Bay-Minnesota game was correctly called (per the league).

Dean Blandino and Mike Pereira, both of whom have walked in Riveron’s shoes and now work as FOX rules analysts, strongly disagree. “Those are not fouls. We don’t like those as fouls,” Blandino said on their weekly show. Pereira said he is troubled that the league is “creating penalties for contact and tackles . . . that don’t put the quarterback at risk of injury.”

“I think we’re setting a dangerous precedent,” Pereira continued. “You can’t have [Matthews’ hit] as a foul.
There’s got to be a line drawn closer to a more violent hit.”

Edited by Shanedorf

Despite the Seahawks looking like hot trash so far, I still expect some BS from Wilson to pull off a miracle win tonight. I’ve seen it too damn much to not think he won’t do it again. Of course, he needs to be able to actually throw the ball for that to happen and can’t really do that when he’s scrambling for his life every play. 

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

“Those are not fouls. We don’t like those as fouls,” Blandino said on their weekly show. Pereira said he is troubled that the league is “creating penalties for contact and tackles . . . that don’t put the quarterback at risk of injury.”

“I think we’re setting a dangerous precedent,” Pereira continued. “You can’t have [Matthews’ hit] as a foul.
There’s got to be a line drawn closer to a more violent hit.”

That is the problem in a nutshell.  I totally get the helmet to helmet thing.  It's a tough thing to call, but I get it.  The Matthews hit being called "roughing" just doesn't make any sense.

3 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

That is the problem in a nutshell.  I totally get the helmet to helmet thing.  It's a tough thing to call, but I get it.  The Matthews hit being called "roughing" just doesn't make any sense.

It's senseless. I've decided there's no point in trying to figure it out.

I get the flagging for driving a QB into the turf with their full weight too.

But this was just 100% a bad call, bad reasoning and terrible follow up by the league.

NFL is becoming a joke.  Textbook tackle and for the NFL to not only agree with the call but then to double down and show this is an example of what not to do?  I love the game but man they are really treading on thin ice.  As for the Gordon discussion that is a big hard PASS.  The kid is a total headcase.  NE made the move out of complete desperation.  Nothing more.  We don't need all choir boys but c'mon this guy is just bad news.  I don't care what he does in NE I sure as hell wouldn't want him in the Packers locker room.  I don't think Aaron would think to much of the move either.  

• Like 1

The rule is meant to stop picking up a player, creating additional force, and slamming them down intentionally. In clay’s case when you tackle someone and put your head accross, your body has a natural “scooping” motion as your body weight is taking them to a side. Those in pretty much everyone’s mind are different. Unfortunately there isn’t an article 12, subsection, 52b, paragraph 4a clarification so the NFL is gutlessly saying the official was “right”

My guess on why it was called.

From the officials view, Clay's left arm lifts up Cousins right leg.  Then when Clay's butt arches up, it leads to the lifting up and driving onto the QB.

I will add, 2nd shooter by the grassy knoll and the moon landing was staged and area 51 is real.

That is all the conspiracy theories I have for today's posting...... so far