NFL News & Notes

Leader

3 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

I agree with everything except the "Rodgers is better than Brees". I thought that too, until I watched them this year.

Wasn't even close IMO.

12 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I agree with everything except the "Rodgers is better than Brees". I thought that too, until I watched them this year.

Wasn't even close IMO.

Brees was better this year, but he also plays in a better offense surrounded by more talent.

IMO, the article doesn't go far enough in presenting Rodgers himself as the reason why the two aren't criticized the same way. Yes, expectations in Green Bay are different from expectations in New Orleans, but expectations for Rodgers are also different because he is a higher-caliber QB than Brees.

Good read. Thanks for posting, @Arthur Penske.

3 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Thank you for introducing me to the word 

sui generis - A person or thing that is unique, in a class by itself: “She is an original artist; each of her paintings is sui generis.” From Latin, meaning “of its own kind.”

always like to learn something new. 

This is a very good article by the way. Puts everything into perspective.

5 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Wasn't even close IMO.

I agree, and that frustrates me, because Rodgers should be better than Brees. The guy standing in the way of that is Rodgers himself and that is frustrating as hell, especially when we know that he’s intellectual enough to know better.

6 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Wasn't even close IMO.

This season? Or overall? No way I’d say Brees is significantly better than Rodgers overall. Brees has had some “down” seasons as well.

Are we sure the talent around Rodgers on offense is that much worse than what Brees has?

OL: GB-had one of the highest rated OL

TE: GB-Starting next season Id rather have Graham and Kendricks than Watson and Hill. Talking just skill and not contract.

WR: Adams and Thomas wash. Tre'quon Smith, Austin Carr, Keith Kirkwood vs Cobb, MVS, Brown. Their #2 is a 3rd round rookie... Honestly I'm leaning GB again.

RB: This is where the Saints win but I think talent is closer then most would think if Jones could be utilize more like Kamara.

QB????

9 minutes ago, Kenrik said:

Are we sure the talent around Rodgers on offense is that much worse than what Brees has?

TE: GB-Starting next season Id rather have Graham and Kendricks than Watson and Hill. Talking just skill and not contract.

WR: Adams and Thomas wash. Tre'quon Smith, Austin Carr, Keith Kirkwood vs Cobb, MVS, Brown. Their #2 is a 3rd round rookie... Honestly I'm leaning GB again.

RB: This is where the Saints win but I think talent is closer then most would think if Jones could be utilize more like Kamara.

QB????

Brees has a great relationship with Payton ... a really cohesive situation there where everyone is on the same page.  We used to have that in GB for many years.  Talent wise I think the Saints have at least a slight edge, but the Packers aren't far off.  Hopefully the new relationship between QB and HC can get things turned in the right direction.  We have a chance to make a massive turnaround this season.  I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Rodgers bounce back in a big way.

21 minutes ago, Kenrik said:

QB????

I'd definitely take their guards. While they don't have an OT as good as Bak, I think their Oline is better for sure.

If Rodgers played 9 games a year in a dome and Brees in Green Bay this wouldn't even be a discussion. Brees' numbers drop off dramatically when outdoors while Rodgers' numbers are elite no matter where he plays. 

Brees                                                           Rodgers

Indoors            Outdoors                              Indoors                  Outdoors

Games:   128                     125                                         54                            134

Comp %: 69.57%             64.95%                                   67.51%                   64.29%

TD/INT:   296/113          206/109                                  54/11                    270/67

Rate:        104.2                   94.2                                      109.0                      101.6                           

Y/A:           8.08                    7.14                                       8.43                        7.70 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:

If Rodgers played 9 games a year in a dome and Brees in Green Bay this wouldn't even be a discussion. Brees' numbers drop off dramatically when outdoors while Rodgers' numbers are elite no matter where he plays. 

Brees                                                           Rodgers

Indoors            Outdoors                              Indoors                  Outdoors

Games:   128                     125                                         54                            134

Comp %: 69.57%             64.95%                                   67.51%                   64.29%

TD/INT:   296/113          206/109                                  54/11                    270/67

Rate:        104.2                   94.2                                      109.0                      101.6                           

Y/A:           8.08                    7.14                                       8.43                        7.70 

eh, plenty of reasons I wouldn't take this at face value. Rodgers is getting any home-game bump to the lower column, while Brees gets his to the upper column. Peak Rodgers is ahead above Peak Brees imo but we have seen a half season (full season's worth if you're generous) of peak-level play from Rodgers in the last 4 years.

Just a few non-data driven opinions/observations you can sprinkle in with the aforementioned cold, hard, data facts:

Brees is a very likable human being;  Rodgers has him moments

Brees plays in a very dynamic offense;  Rodgers has not

Brees hits his check-down receivers;  Rodgers rarely does

Brees loves throwing to his RB's;  Rodgers rarely does

Brees and Rodgers both take a fair number of sacks

Brees throws more interceptions than Rodgers (Brees has more passing attempts than Rodgers)

Brees is rarely - if ever - mentioned in the GOAT discussion;  Rodgers is on a regular basis (or used to be)

Brees appears to like his HC;  Rodgers has had an adversarial relationship with his

Brees and Rodgers both have one Lombardi Trophy

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

eh, plenty of reasons I wouldn't take this at face value. Rodgers is getting any home-game bump to the lower column, while Brees gets his to the upper column. Peak Rodgers is ahead above Peak Brees imo but we have seen a half season (full season's worth if you're generous) of peak-level play from Rodgers in the last 4 years.

Yes and Rodgers' numbers go up in Domes (all road games) and are better than Brees'. Which is why I said if you flipped homefields, Rodgers would be head and shoulders above Brees. These are not small sample sizes, the numbers tell a story, one that favors Rodgers.