NFL News & Notes

Leader

Vikings are already over the cap if it DOESN'T decrease for next year. 

I don't know why people can't see their sharp decline is coming. 

I said since 2017 that their best bet was to continue pumping talent into that defense, try to Russell Wilson/Dak Prescott their QB position (or pounce on a first round QB) and keep a healthy cap.  Had they done that they'd have won a Super Bowl by now, but nooooooo.  They had to go out and get Kirk Cousins. 

What is the logic in spending all of that money in a QB only to have to constantly invest in offense to make him better?

Since 2018 (the year they signed Cousins), the Vikings have added:

Mike Hughes, Jeff Gladney, Cameron Dantzler.  Those are the only defensive players they've taken in the first three rounds. 

They've also drafted a center and a receiver in the first round in the past two years. 

The Bears are even worse off.  They're 16 million more over the cap than the Vikings are and they don't even have a QB.

Everyone thinks that when I laugh at the moves of the division rivals it's because I don't like the moves, but that's not it.  I laugh because they're bad moves. 

"Lol, you just ruined your chances of winning a Super Bowl by signing Cousins."
-Whatever bro, you're just scared. 

"Lol, your team just drafted a receiver (Treadwell) in the first round."
-Hell yeah, bro, Treadwell is gonna be great.  You're just upset Green Bay has nobody to guard him.

"Lol, your team just drafted a center 18th overall."
-Doesn't matter if he's an elite center he's an elite center.

And now drafting Justin Jefferson in the middle of a pandemic.  The second most difficult position for rookies to learn with no time to learn it. 

It's like Groundhog day for me, only it repeats every couple years in the division.  I got the same amount of grief when I told Vikings fans they traded too much for Jared Allen, now I'm getting the same from Bears fans and Khalil Mack. 

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Vikings are already over the cap if it DOESN'T decrease for next year. 

I don't know why people can't see their sharp decline is coming. 

I said since 2017 that their best bet was to continue pumping talent into that defense, try to Russell Wilson/Dak Prescott their QB position (or pounce on a first round QB) and keep a healthy cap.  Had they done that they'd have won a Super Bowl by now, but nooooooo.  They had to go out and get Kirk Cousins. 

What is the logic in spending all of that money in a QB only to have to constantly invest in offense to make him better?

Since 2018 (the year they signed Cousins), the Vikings have added:

Mike Hughes, Jeff Gladney, Cameron Dantzler.  Those are the only defensive players they've taken in the first three rounds. 

They've also drafted a center and a receiver in the first round in the past two years. 

The Bears are even worse off.  They're 16 million more over the cap than the Vikings are and they don't even have a QB.

Everyone thinks that when I laugh at the moves of the division rivals it's because I don't like the moves, but that's not it.  I laugh because they're bad moves. 

"Lol, you just ruined your chances of winning a Super Bowl by signing Cousins."
-Whatever bro, you're just scared. 

"Lol, your team just drafted a receiver (Treadwell) in the first round."
-Hell yeah, bro, Treadwell is gonna be great.  You're just upset Green Bay has nobody to guard him.

"Lol, your team just drafted a center 18th overall."
-Doesn't matter if he's an elite center he's an elite center.

And now drafting Justin Jefferson in the middle of a pandemic.  The second most difficult position for rookies to learn with no time to learn it. 

It's like Groundhog day for me, only it repeats every couple years in the division.  I got the same amount of grief when I told Vikings fans they traded too much for Jared Allen, now I'm getting the same from Bears fans and Khalil Mack. 

But the team paying their QB the most (GB) is likely in the best shape as of right now 🤔 

Just now, Arthur Penske said:

But the team paying their QB the most (GB) is likely in the best shape as of right now 🤔 

We're paying the one who has won two MVP awards and a Super Bowl MVP 342,000 more and 642,000 more than second and third place, neither of which has gotten out of the Divisional round of the playoffs alive. 

It's just a shame that my point was not paying your QB.  I'd challenge you to read the post again, but I don't think it would click for you even then, so here are some bullet points on what that post was about, which you completely missed:

Point # 1: If you're paying your QB top money, he has to be able to earn that top money without having to invest major draft capital and cap space into positions to make him better.  I know the nuance of this one might be a bit difficult to catch when you're trying to "gotcha" someone, but the point is that if you're paying your QB that much money, he has to be able to overcome less investment in the areas (OL, WR, TE, RB) that typically make a quarterback's job easier. 
--Vikings have used 22nd, 58th, 18th, 50th, 102nd, 114th, 62nd overall picks on WR, OT, C, TE, RB, G and OT since signing Cousins.
----Packers have used 133rd, 44th, 75th, 62nd, 94th overall on WR, C, TE, RB, TE.

Point #2: Cap health. 
--In spite of paying Rodgers more than the Vikings will be paying Cousins, the Vikings are 10 million higher in cap liabilities than the Packers.
---In spite of not even having a decent QB or a big QB cap hit for 2021, the Bears are 6 million in cap liabilities higher than the Packers. 

Point #3: Draft capital and the selection of premium positions
-In the past three years, the Packers have had 4 first round picks and have used them on QB, EDGE, CB.
--In the past three years, the Vikings have had 4 first round draft picks and have used them on WR, CB, C, CB. 
---In the past three years, the Bears have had 1 first round draft pick and they used it on an ILB. 

One of those three teams has extreme youth and promise all over the defense with a potential franchise QB behind a fringe elite QB. 

Overall, the point was about TEAM BUILDING and FUTURE PLANNING.  NOT about QB cap hits. 

If there were players who were not inclined to take proper precautions, perhaps this will provide the proper incentive:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/07/25/nfl-nflpa-agreement-includes-specific-prohibitions-on-player-activities/

Per multiple sources, the deal specifically prohibits players from engaging in certain behaviors this season. Players cannot attend indoor night clubs, indoor bars (except to pickup food), indoor house parties (with 15 or more people), indoor concerts, professional sporting events, or indoor church services that allow attendance above 25 percent of capacity.

Players can be fined for violating these rules. Moreover, if they test positive after engaging in prohibited activities, they will not be paid for the games they miss. Also, future guarantees in their contracts would be voided.

It will be interesting to see how teams enforce the rules. Some may use security officials to monitor local establishments or to track the behavior of players. Others may rely on contacts within the community to contact the team if/when violations are witnessed. Some may set up an NBA-style tip line.

As one source said on Saturday morning, “Every player should delete social media.”

Man, I'm going to be finding out a lot of stuff about Packer players I'm not going to want to know this year. 

Part of me wishes we had Mike Daniels and other Settlers of Cataan nerds making up the whole roster again. 

It will be a serious luxury this year to have players who don't like going out.  MVS could have a big year. 

Quick, give me the TMZ rundown on every Packer player. 

12 minutes ago, Pick6byWoodson said:

Wow, shortly after blasting his coach and GM, Jamal Adams gets traded to Seattle for two firsts and a third.. big price to pay for Seattle!

I have to believe they've worked out an extension. That'a a ton to give up for a guy who would be a free agent in 2022. 

12 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

I have to believe they've worked out an extension. That'a a ton to give up for a guy who would be a free agent in 2022. 

Even if there is an extension, that's robbery for NY. You just traded 2 1st round picks for a guy who plays...safety.

On 7/23/2020 at 10:55 PM, Uffdaswede said:

As a Swede, I may want to get after the Minnesota Football Team for dishonoring my pillaging ancestors.

I think the difference is that (as a 3rd generation American-Swede) is that in Nordic culture way back in the day "Viking" was not a culture or a people, it was a job/role that people in that culture had.  The people who went on sea voyages were called "vikings" ("Vikingr" literally being "someone who went on a sea voyage so long you had to work the rowers in shifts"), and while some old norse folks went on sea voyages, other people were farmers, craftspeople, carpenters, blacksmiths, etc. who did not.

From places outside of Scandinavia they perceived all the Nordic people as "Vikings" but that's because living in Ireland in the 8th century the only Scandinavians you were likely to encounter near your home were *the ones who went on long sea voyages*.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Even if there is an extension, that's robbery for NY. You just traded 2 1st round picks for a guy who plays...safety.

Yeah I would not be happy about giving up those picks if I was a Seattle fan but they are going to be a super bowl level team with Adams. 

54 minutes ago, Pick6byWoodson said:

Wow, shortly after blasting his coach and GM, Jamal Adams gets traded to Seattle for two firsts and a third.. big price to pay for Seattle!

Wow! Schneider and Carroll must think the guy is the second coming of Earl Thomas. Adams and Q. Diggs will be a potent 1-2 punch at safety for the gulls, but man, the Jets scored a load of draft capitol, and peddled a malcontent!

Edited by JQ1

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

Yeah I would not be happy about giving up those picks if I was a Seattle fan but they are going to be a super bowl level team with Adams. 

Naw, Adams just doesn't move the needle enough for me. They would have been better off resigning Clowney even as inconsistent as he is. Again, this is a (box) safety we are talking about here, not even a CB. Adams is really good but he's a step above an ILB in terms of position importance. I don't get it.