NFL News & Notes

Leader

9 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I didn't want Talib, but damn the Rams are going to it this year.

Let Trumaine Johnson walk and add Peters and Talib to fill the void.  Adding Shields and if he can be a 3rd/4th CB, that is a really talented group.

Honest question, couldn’t Shields still be looking at a suspension for when he caught those charges for smoking a blunt on his front porch? 

Edit- not smoking on his front porch. Dude opened the door for the Drug Task Force with a blunt in hand. So unfortunate

Edited by packerrfan74

2 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

Honest question, couldn’t Shields still be looking at a suspension for when he caught those charges for smoking a blunt on his front porch? 

Suspensions are served even if the player is a free agent so any potential suspension would have been served last year even though he wasn’t on a team. Not 100% sure on this but I’m like 95% sure. 

Hmmmmmmmmmm........................a fifth you say.......

"The Denver Broncos are trading Pro Bowl cornerback Aqib Talib to the Los Angeles Rams, the NFL Network reported Thursday, citing sources. The Broncos will receive a fifth-round pick in the 2018 draft for Talib, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter. Talib and (Marcus) Peters, who have combined for seven Pro Bowls and two first-team All-Pro nods, will now be the Rams' starting cornerbacks on the outside. Talib and Peters are both signed through 2019 and would combine to cost about $30 million during that time"

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22695501/denver-broncos-trade-aqib-talib-los-angeles-rams-2018-fifth-round-draft-pick

Edited by Leader

It's like that line in The Office where Michael Scott says he loves inside jokes and that he'd love to be a part of one some day.

I love trades.  I'd love for us to be a part of one some day.  Again exclusively for the purpose of proving Gute isn't exactly like Thompson, and again even though I was distinctly NOT a Thompson hater.

Other than Peters, I haven't even really wanted any of the players that have gotten traded, I've just wanted a trade.  Even if it was us trading Cobb or something.

I'm terrified that Gute will be exactly like Thompson once the regular season starts.  That was the biggest downfall to Thompson's style.  So many years we could have competed for a Super Bowl if he had just gone out and made a move to cover for injuries.  2015 was a potential Super Bowl year if he'd just gone out and gotten a receiver to stretch the field.  2016 could have been a Super Bowl year if he had just gone out and gotten a capable cornerback. 

That's why I want to see a trade so badly.  Gute said he will look at every way of acquiring talent?  Prove it, man.  Prove it so I don't have to worry about in-season adjustments. 

Signing old free agents a few days after free agency starts will not be evidence enough of a change for me.  Even Thompson realized towards the end that you need players who have seen how other teams succeed or fail to be added to a team towards the end of his time as GM.  Strange it took him such a significant time considering he won a Super Bowl in large part due to Picket, Woodson and Green as well as through aggression in the draft (a second first round pick instead of 9,000 5th-7th round picks). 

Just now, packfanfb said:

Rams have acquired 3 CBs in 10 days who would be the 1, 2 and probably 3 CBs on our team....

And yet only one of them I would have gone after.  Talib is significantly worse as a person than Peters and 7 years older, so if a single person who raised hell about Peters says they wanted Talib, I'd have a fit.  Also, wouldn't have signed Shields considering I'd be morally obligated to tell him he should retire.

46 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Does anyone have a link or source confirming that GB did not make an offer to Denver for Talib?

I'd be mad if they did.

I understand wanting Peters, but Talib at that contract isn't worth it, and Shields should stay retired. I wouldn't want to be the team that let him keep getting worse. These aren't good moves.

• Like 1