NFL News & Notes

Leader

Id put pretty strong odds on the Redskins making a move for Carr this offseason before the draft.  I think Carr would do pretty well over in Washington.  I wonder what the Raiders would be willing to part with him for?  2nd?  The firesale at Oakland would be complete if so.

• Like 1

Yeah, Redskins got screwed with a strong start and then QB injury.  If Smith got hurt earlier, they might have been in position to get a top QB.  Now they're stuck relying on a mid-pick QB or hoping Smith comes back close to the same.  If Carr is dealt, they're a good bet to get him.

9 hours ago, green machine said:

He has a $71M injury guarantee in his contract if he doesn't play again.  https://sports.yahoo.com/alex-smith-contract-gives-him-040321223.html

So the team is on the hook for 71M if he never takes another snap with them?

I can see the exchange now......

AS - I dont think I can play anymore....
Team - Sure you can, not a problem....
AS - Naaaaahhhhhhhhh, I really dont think I can play anymore.....
Team - Come on now....give it a try.....wont know till you try......
AS - Oh I know......I really cant play.....

:)

7 hours ago, HeresAGuy said:

holy cow, really?!  yeah id just mosey my way on up to the booth with Romo if that was my payday.  I would have put it at a 40 percent chance Alex came back after that injury.  Knowing that......id put it at less than 15

He also probably has a personal injry insurance payout that will cover even more on top of that 71 million. He may clear 9 digits.

Most estimated cap space in 2019

1. Colts- $118.5M
2. Jets- $95.6M
3. Browns- $84.9M
4. Bills- $84.2M
5. Raiders- $73.1M
6. Texans- $68.4M
7. 49ers- $67.0M
8. Cardinals- $63.3M
9. Seahawks- $54.7M
10. Bengals- $54.1M

Are the Browns every gonna burn through that CAP surplus? Seems they've had money (and draft picks) to burn for a quite awhile now.

On 11/20/2018 at 9:02 PM, Leader said:

Alex Smith : poster boy for non-fully guaranteed player contracts.

I actually think Smith is the poster boy for why the players union need to push for fully guaranteed contracts.  The league needs to figure out a way to account for cap relief when players suffer long term injuries.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Most estimated cap space in 2019

1. Colts- $118.5M
2. Jets- $95.6M
3. Browns- $84.9M
4. Bills- $84.2M
5. Raiders- $73.1M
6. Texans- $68.4M
7. 49ers- $67.0M
8. Cardinals- $63.3M
9. Seahawks- $54.7M
10. Bengals- $54.1M

Are the Browns every gonna burn through that CAP surplus? Seems they've had money (and draft picks) to burn for a quite awhile now.

That is what happens when you draft horribly.

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

I actually think Smith is the poster boy for why the players union need to push for fully guaranteed contracts.  The league needs to figure out a way to account for cap relief when players suffer long term injuries.

This I believe to be true and I'd be interested to hear come possible remedies or proposed solutions - but even a a believer in workman's compensation - I find 71M a fairly hefty price for an organization to have to put out as reward for nothing more services rendered (primarily) to a different organization, signing a contract and playing a few games. 

Granted, QB contracts probably stand a good chance to be the extreme of this circumstance - but still.

Symmetry

The Skins are:
3-3 in their last 6 games
4-4 in their last 8 
5-5 in their last 10
6-6 in their last 12
8-8 in their last 16
9-9 in their last 18
10-10 in their last 20
13-13 in their last 26
19-19-1 in their last 39
21-21-1 in their last 43

I doubt Vegas is losing much money over their games.