NFL News & Notes

Leader

7 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Pretty incredible!  There’s some teams that are really ascending now late in the season: Dallas, Seattle, Chargers, and even the Titans and Dolphins to some extent.  Some descending teams also, that started strong through the middle of the season:  Pitt, Redskins, Bengals.

Always best to get hot in December, so they say.

Nothing against them personally, but the Redskins can just keep sliding far as I'm concerned.
Each L gives the HHCD draft slot better value....and since they're working on their forth starting QB.....odds are good they'll continue losing.

7 hours ago, Lodestar said:

Chargers are my team the rest of the way (assuming a miracle doesn't get us in). Rivers was amazing down the stretch tonight. This throw on 4th down to keep the game alive is one of the best I've seen all year. I'd love to see them win it all.

Yeah. I wouldnt mind seeing Rivers have some post season success. He's been a warrior in a far off and distant land for a long time. Only thing missing is a ring.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Leader said:

Yeah. I wouldnt mind seeing Rivers have some post season success. He's been a warrior in a far off and distant land for a long time. Only thing missing is a ring.

Guess I shouldn't have turned the game off when Chiefs scored in the 4th.  Thought that put the game away .... wrong.

2 hours ago, coachbuns said:

Guess I shouldn't have turned the game off when Chiefs scored in the 4th.  Thought that put the game away .... wrong.

After working a long day and having an amazing pizza, I crashed hard during the third quarter and woke up when it was over.  :(

8 hours ago, Packer_ESP said:

@Outpost31 gonna have a field day with the Chargers win

Not gonna lie, got a little bit of satisfaction out of the top 7 scoring defense beating the best scoring offense. 

Defense is the most underrated aspect of football and I don't understand it. 

Chargers/Ravens/Cowboys/Seahawks/Saints.

Those are my favorites to win it all this year.  Ravens only if Flacco starts (yes, Flacco).  Chargers are on the far end of that list. 

Defense and experience.  Two most important factors in Super Bowl winners with the Eagles lack of experience last year being an EXTREME outlier. 

10 hours ago, Leader said:

I'd agree. I think he's just one of those guys who goes to work. Doesn't seem to put much of anything out for the press to munch on either.

7 hours ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Did you read a review paper on this?

Yes. From Determinants of Success in the National Football League's Postseason (Also titled How important is Previous Playoff Experience?) by Dr. Joshua Pitts published in the Journal of Sports Economics in 2014.

In general, the results suggest that a team’s previous playoff experience is not a significant determinant of its postseason outcomes. Excluding EXP0 and EXP1, none of the other previous playoff experience measures are ever statistically signif- icant in any of the specifications of the regression models. Furthermore, EXP1 is only statistically significant in a single specification of the OLS model. As shown in column 5 of Table 4, a team that played in one more playoff game than their oppo- nent in the previous postseason can expect about a one point advantage in the current postseason, other things equal. This result aside, there is extremely little evidence supporting the importance of previous playoff experience in determining the out- comes of current postseason games in the NFL. All the various measures of previous playoff experience included in this study, including measures of quarterback, head coach, and team playoff experience, are rarely statistically significant determinants of the outcomes measured in this study. Furthermore, even when these measures do prove statistically significant, the magnitude of the impact on the dependent vari- ables tends to be extremely small. Hence, these results are certainly not consistent with the purported importance of previous playoff experience by many fans and media, and the supposed importance of previous playoff experience is not supported by the analysis performed in this study.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Leader said:

I think a lot of people are high on them. If they wore their powder blues through the playoffs, I bet ~90 % of NFL fans would root for them to win it all