NFL News & Notes

Leader

25 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

A. Why would you think someone’s precieved  misfortune is funny?

B. The guy reportedly wasn’t interested in AZ or Cle but could have had the job. Who knows who else was after him.

Mainly because when it's someone who vastly, vastly overestimates his own competence and whose misfortunes carry trivial consequences... is pretty much *is.*

It's not like I'm laughing at a single mom losing her job. I'm laughing at an oversized man-baby who yelled at a reporter for asking a question about his QB situation after Rodgers got hurt (i.e. doing his job)... and then publicly threw the replacement QB under the bus at the end of the season. Who the hell is a socially-acceptable target if not THIS guy?

And, to a lesser extent, some of the things his proponents said about how actually good he is, like the Sean Payton comparisons and other such things. That added an extra little bit of comedy for me, but I think those takes lost the dignity of being taken seriously weeks ago anyway. I fully expect him to get hired next season, and I look forward to it -- fingers crossed for Minny!!

5 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Collecting multi-millions from the Packers
Not a bad gig

Exactly right. I wouldnt mind taking a year off while collecting 8M. The definition of hardship.

Probably best he chill for a bit. Get some distance from one experience, put it in perspective and get a fresh start.
I personally would have liked him to get the NYJs gig. I've no "he couldnt handle it" concerns. He's experienced and accomplished enough to hold down the position and if he could turn them into a steady winner he'd bring something the AFCE thats been lacking other than NE.

Joe Namath holding his finger up in the air is over 50 years ago.

6 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

By all accounts the Browns would have hired him if he was willing to keep Kitchens. He decided hed rather take the year off.

We won't know what happened with the Jets for another few days probably.

I mean it was more than this. The purported deal was, you are coach, we not only keep Kitchens, he also is the play-caller. Browns obviously wanted to keep the young, more creative Kitchens and weren't interested in MM's play-calling abilities or lack thereof. The Jets went a similar route picking Gase over MM. 

The Packers money gives MM an excuse, but this media spin about him "deciding to sit out a season" is a farce. Nobody wanted him in the capacity he still believes he's suitable for, coach + play-caller. Doesnt surprise me at all. I'm not expecting MM to be a top candidate next year either, unless he gives up play-calling.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I mean it was more than this. The purported deal was, you are coach, we not only keep Kitchens, he also is the play-caller. Browns obviously wanted to keep the young, more creative Kitchens and weren't interested in MM's play-calling abilities or lack thereof. The Jets went a similar route picking Gase over MM. 

The Packers money gives MM an excuse, but this media spin about him "deciding to sit out a season" is a farce. Nobody wanted him in the capacity he still believes he's suitable for, coach + play-caller. Doesnt surprise me at all. I'm not expecting MM to be a top candidate next year either, unless he gives up play-calling.

I think it's more likely somewhere in the middle.

McCarthy has no real incentive to take a job that isn't perfect by his definition. Man's still getting a check regardless. No reason not to ask for the moon and if you don't get it, work on somebody's offensive staff in a consultant role ala Pettine and enjoy being on the beach sipping margaritas.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Interesting spin.

Now I dont know if you personally have been one decrying the Packer FO structure. Citing how it cant and wont work. That Gute as GM should have total control and decision making powers - get Murphy's influence the hell our of there - but such thinking is certainly out there. So why would a HC accept a position where his experience and influence is clipped BEFORE (or as a condition) he takes the job? 

26 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

With a little reflection I hope MM realizes that he is elite as a manager, average as an offensive coordinator, and brings a weak sideline game. He’d be great if he had the right coordinators and let them do their thing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, blueswedeshoes said:

With a little reflection I hope MM realizes that he is elite as a manager, average as an offensive coordinator, and brings a weak sideline game. He’d be great if he had the right coordinators and let them do their thing.

This is my entire point and I made it earlier as well when I said the Browns made the right call gambling with Kitchens. Getting McCarthy as a coach for his experience and intangibles would have been a plus for Cleveland. Getting him as a play-caller would have been a negative. 

I think MM will be sought after if he is flexible on hiring a more innovative coordinator to call the plays. I don't think many, if any, teams will be interested in giving him the same powers he had in GB.

If anything, it's probably a good argument that MM would still have his job here if instead of hiring Philbin to be his lacky OC last year, he instead hired a bright offensive mind to take over play-calling in GB. 

9 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

This is my entire point and I made it earlier as well when I said the Browns made the right call gambling with Kitchens. Getting McCarthy as a coach for his experience and intangibles would have been a plus for Cleveland. Getting him as a play-caller would have been a negative. 

I think MM will be sought after if he is flexible on hiring a more innovative coordinator to call the plays. I don't think many, if any, teams will be interested in giving him the same powers he had in GB.

If anything, it's probably a good argument that MM would still have his job here if instead of hiring Philbin to be his lacky OC last year, he instead hired a bright offensive mind to take over play-calling in GB. 

McCarthy needs to reinvent himself as Andy Reid. If he can do what Andy has done in KC... he will be fine.

If I was him I’d research that situation in my off year.

I read before any cosching interview traspired that MM himself had crossed everything other than NY and CLE off the list. His family is still living in Green Bay until the kids finish high school and he wanted a job close enough that he could come home on weekends. There may have been interest elsewhere but he took himself off the list.