NFL News & Notes

Leader

8 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

Go tell that to the Raiders fans. They weren't very happy with his last drafts.

Bet they prefer... Mack, cooper, Carr, etc to what 2 tv personalities are going to draft in the coming years.

Did they like the OT out of UCLA this past season? Because Gruden needed and wanted an OT. Gruden also thinks highly of Nathan Peterman as a QB.

Edited by Green19

15 hours ago, Green19 said:

???

Everything I have heard is Cleveland never wanted him... too much GB 2.0. Plus Wolfe  and Highsmith relationship there was poor because of their falling out of Green Bay.

Both parties didn’t have interest in each other. 

Not quite.  He limited himself to just the Cleveland and New York gigs.  He wasn't interested in any others because he wanted to be close to his family.  Cleveland wanted to retain Kitchens, so there's probably a decent chance that probably was a dealbreaker.  So New York was really the only one who was seriously in play, which is probably why McCarthy was "focused" on that gig.

20 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Not quite.  He limited himself to just the Cleveland and New York gigs.  He wasn't interested in any others because he wanted to be close to his family.  Cleveland wanted to retain Kitchens, so there's probably a decent chance that probably was a dealbreaker.  So New York was really the only one who was seriously in play, which is probably why McCarthy was "focused" on that gig.

That might be the case, but other outlets said that even though it was reported Cleveland and McCarthy had interest, that neither really did and they cited it felt too much like Green Bay 2.0 and that lead to neither side really having any TRUE interest (too much history).

Edited by Green19

54 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Bet they prefer... Mack, cooper, Carr, etc to what 2 tv personalities are going to draft in the coming years.

Did they like the OT out of UCLA this past season? Because Gruden needed and wanted an OT. Gruden also thinks highly of Nathan Peterman as a QB.

He had a pretty great draft in 2014. Go look to 2015, 2016 and 2017 though.

An interesting question posed in connection with Adam Gase taking the NYJs job.

NY Post:

Would some time away from being a head coach have allowed Gase to reflect on the things he didn’t do well the past three seasons with Miami and the things he believes he could do better to make him a better coach for his next opportunity?

If Gase comes to the Jets and believes his shtick doesn’t stink, that he did all the right things with the Dolphins and he’s going to do the same things here, that’s not going to benefit him or the Jets.

There’s a lengthy list of head coaches who have jumped directly from a job they were fired from to the next job without having had to take a step or two back to reflect and they’ve rapidly flamed out in that second job.

Rex Ryan is the poster child for that syndrome.

After coaching the Jets for six seasons before being fired in 2014, Ryan was offered the Buffalo head-coaching job so quickly it was as if the Bills thought they were pursuing a hybrid of Vince Lombardi, Bill Walsh and Bill Parcells.

Ryan took the same bravado act that had grown tired in New York and brought it to Buffalo. It took astute Bills fans very little time to sift through the BS and turn on him. Ryan went a playoff-less 8-8 his first year and didn’t even make it through his second year in Buffalo before being fired with a game remaining in the 2016 season.

Would Ryan have been a better head coach the second time around had he not taken the Buffalo job five minutes after being fired by the Jets? Probably.

I think this logic applies to MM as well who had a longer tenure than Gase.

10 minutes ago, St Vince said:

A lot of Bears fans  want Ed Donatell to replace Fangio, let's hope they get their wish 🙂

I wasn't a packers fan or followed with the NFL way back then. What was he like as a coordinator for us?

16 hours ago, Green19 said:

Isn’t that a perfect reason to want him? Haha

He clearly has an eye for talent...

I know but seriously I wanted to kill McKenzie when he did that. I knew Gute was moving up to get Key and Reggie jumped us and stoled him. I wanted Key in the 2nd,  3rd would've been a homerun. Instead of getting a promising edge rusher we got another good athlete ala Josh Jones who's not good enough to get playing time

2 minutes ago, Chili said:

I wasn't a packers fan or followed with the NFL way back then. What was he like as a coordinator for us?

I was a tad younger not real young but followed the players and games not OC's and DC's but i believe Ed was the DC when we gave up 4-26 to the Iggles in the playoffs in 04. I could be wrong but i believe he was promptly fired for that one play.

1 minute ago, PACKRULE said:

I was a tad younger not real young but followed the players and games not OC's and DC's but i believe Ed was the DC when we gave up 4-26 to the Iggles in the playoffs in 04. I could be wrong but i believe he was promptly scapegoated for that one play.

The red edit is just my opinion.

1 minute ago, Chili said:

He was good before he came to GB but very average with us. He will be forever known for 4th and 26,  the game that ended his GB career.