NFL News & Notes

Leader

Unpopular opinion:

Sack totals make a difference, and Rodgers has taken more sacks than Brees even though Brees has played roughly a hundred more games.

In my opinion, Rodgers tendency to hold the ball for a long time leads to the higher sack total but also partly leads to a better passer rating and a better TD to Int ratio.

While Rodgers may be the physically better talent, in my opinion his style of play detracts from the Goat argument a bit, and I think it may shorten his career as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Unpopular opinion:

Sack totals make a difference, and Rodgers has taken more sacks than Brees even though Brees has played roughly a hundred more games.

In my opinion, Rodgers tendency to hold the ball for a long time leads to the higher sack total but also partly leads to a better passer rating and a better TD to Int ratio.

While Rodgers may be the physically better talent, in my opinion his style of play detracts from the Goat argument a bit, and I think it may shorten his career as well.

so now the questions becomes,

Does he hold on to the ball for his own gain or because he thinks it will help the team win.

As time progresses my views of Rodgers are beginning to evolve. 

10 minutes ago, gopackgo247 said:

Does he hold on to the ball for his own gain or because he thinks it will help the team win.

Safe to say, both.  Rodgers is very competitive and wants to win.  I also think he thinks he sometimes needs to be the hero and put the team on his shoulders and make something out of nothing, for better or worse.  Finally, I think at some level he's very conscientious of his passer rating and interception/pass ratio, and his pride wants to protect this. 

The problem is, his desire to carry this team to victory while protect his stats are in juxtaposition* to one another, thereby diminishing the end result. 

*the fact of two things being seen or placed close together with contrasting effect

48 minutes ago, gopackgo247 said:

Going from memory here, but at one time but Mac and Aaron said that TD drives often involve a "big" play.  So...they were looking at ways to create more explosive plays.  And it worked well, they used Aaron's legs and formulated an offense based on extending plays in order to hit that "big play" and set up more TD's.

I think the key is getting Rodgers to buy into the belief that he can check down to certain routes to create those big plays.  Only they will come from after the catch.  Emphasis should be on getting more first downs to allow them more attempts to scheme open a big play.

1 hour ago, gopackgo247 said:

I honestly think it's to win the TO battle. Mccarthy really emphasised TO differential late in his coaching tenure and I feel Rodgers has really bought into it. The slant game phased out somewhat because when you throw to the middle of the field so much your chances of tipped balls increases and there are more bodies around to catch the tip. I really Rodgers can get back into rhythm and takes some more chances.

51 minutes ago, Leader said:

Rapoport:

Over the course of the past few days, the Chiefs have talked with players and coaches about defensive coordinator Bob Sutton, whose lack of adjustments has been a non-stop frustration. They moved on today, and a prime job is open.

Nagler:

Andy Reid is ruthless in a way McCarthy never was. Will be interesting to see if it ever results in a championship.

10 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Unpopular opinion:

He’s also thrown a lot less INTs/ has a better TD/INt ratio. I’ll take the sacks over picks

8 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

He’s also thrown a lot less INTs/ has a better TD/INt ratio. I’ll take the sacks over picks

Understood and makes sense to a degree - but ARs the one actually taking the hits and I think it fairly obvious its affecting his game and will shorten his career. 

GB needs to impose a quicker timing - yes, perhaps more boring - offense. Move the sticks. Pick up first downs. YAC. Time of possession. Points.

The only reason a less than imposing physical specimen such as Brady is still chucking it as well as he is - is because he's given multiple targets in the 5-15 yard area - AND HE THROWS THEM THE BALL - before the pass rush can clobber him.

This may.....curb....the "Geee look at that!" moments from AR - but he'll last or be injury free longer and the offense will move.

Its my hope LaFleur can impose better "structure" to the offense.

Oh - and we rediscover the middle of the field. It seems to have disappeared from our offense. Short slants. Quick crossing patterns. Those patterns may still be happening - but if so - ARs not throwing the ball there.

Ian Rapoport‏:

Dolphins GM Chris Grier left Mobile this morning to head home for their second interview with future head coach and current #Patriots play-caller Brian Flores tonight, source said. They will discuss staffing and officially offer him the job. No negotiations can take place.