NFL News & Notes

Leader

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

A lot of that is dead cap for Cincy, which explains the timing of the move because it makes him a potentially intriguing trade asset if there is a team who thinks they can turn him into a player. Would cost about $2M, & $2.8M for 2019/2020, plus a 5th-year option available in 2021. 

John Ross averages 3.5 yards/target. He's dropped 12% of his targets. He's caught 35% of them. I think John Ross just sucks.

5 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

A lot of that is dead cap for Cincy, which explains the timing of the move because it makes him a potentially intriguing trade asset if there is a team who thinks they can turn him into a player. Would cost about $2M, & $2.8M for 2019/2020, plus a 5th-year option available in 2021. 

How is that dead cap?
According to Spotrac:
2019 cap hit - salary + signing bonus - 4.6M (rounded down)
2020 cap hit - 5.4M (rounded down)

Just now, rcon14 said:

John Ross averages 3.5 yards/target. He's dropped 12% of his targets. He's caught 35% of them. I think John Ross just sucks.

I'm not advocating we make a deal. Last thing our WR core needs is another project player, we have several. Just saying I fully get why Cincy is trying to deal him now versus waiting out the entirety of his rookie deal. If they do it now, they likely get the best compensation for him, plain and simple. 

46 minutes ago, Leader said:

How is that dead cap?
According to Spotrac:
2019 cap hit - salary + signing bonus - 4.6M (rounded down)
2020 cap hit - 5.4M (rounded down)

2.6 million each year is signing bonus so that is dead cap for Cincy. Additionally, that contract is fully guaranteed so that's another thing to take into account. Cutting him is 10M in dead cap for them and trading him is 5M dead cap for Cincy and a guaranteed 5M salary for the taker. Not a very enticing deal.

To me?  I'd go back and study his collegiate film.  See if he really was a sound route runner.  If so?  Yah, I'd take a swing at him.  I didn't watch his college tape much and thought he was overdrafted due to that 40 time.  But....BB is known for liking guys in the draft and when they fail somewhere else, he trades for them, relying on his former scouting reports.

Injuries scare me on him, but label me intrigued.

1 hour ago, Packer_ESP said:

2.6 million each year is signing bonus so that is dead cap for Cincy. Additionally, that contract is fully guaranteed so that's another thing to take into account. Cutting him is 10M in dead cap for them and trading him is 5M dead cap for Cincy and a guaranteed 5M salary for the taker. Not a very enticing deal.

Okay - thanks for that clarification. The signing bonus doesnt come with the player if purchased via trade. I didnt realize that.

52 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Ross is Trevor Davis.  Exciting possibilities that will be met with unexciting results.  

I know it would be a mistake, but I would still do it.  Just for the 10% chance of one completed deep pass.

Except Ross was a 1st round pick who probably should have been drafted in the 2nd/3rd absent his 40 time and Davis was a 5th round pick who should have been an UDFA. 

59 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Ross is Trevor Davis.  Exciting possibilities that will be met with unexciting results.  

I know it would be a mistake, but I would still do it.  Just for the 10% chance of one completed deep pass.

I would give our natural 4th for John Ross in a heartbeat. 2 years of cheap control and a 3rd if he is really good. Saves our top 5 picks to go after other things

Edited by JBURGE
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Leader said:

Okay - thanks for that clarification. The signing bonus doesnt come with the player if purchased via trade. I didnt realize that.

No prob. Signing bonuses are paid upon signing the contract, so even if their cap hit is spread over several years, that cap hit must always be accounted for by the original team. Think of it as the team that pays the money is the team that has the cap hit, sooner or later.

Honestly though, since we have the cap - and pending the personality that comes with Ross - I would legitimately send a 6th.  That is probably what he will get traded for.  People who say higher just don't get trades in the NFL really.  Clinton-Dix and Randall trades should show that.