NFL News & Notes

Leader

3 minutes ago, Golfman said:

OK, I disagree with this. They are going to get 4 really good players in the draft based on the 4, 24, 27 and 35 picks they are holding. Gruden knows what he's going. 

Now, do they win a Super Bowl? No, they don't have the QB, but a winning season? Absolutely, will happen this year or next. 

Okay, I disagree with this as well. That draft capital doesnt guarantee them 4 really good players. Its more likely all 4 of those draft picks bust then all 4 of them being really good.  

On 3/10/2019 at 11:04 AM, Chili said:

From Oakland point of view they have done well for themselves.

They basically got Brown and an extra 1st round pick just by giving up Cooper, a 3rd and a 5th. Niiice.

Cooper is earning £14m this year. Brown is getting an average $16m. Brown is a massive upgrade for just $2m more this year.

I reckon that would've been very do-able for us but the dynamics with us is completely different had he joined us instead of Oakland. Brown threw a strop with JuJu's growing influence infringing on his targets and production. How do you think would he react with Adams? Probably just as bad, if not worse. The very fact that Adams is here means that Brown would never ever be able to play up to his contract. He would be an expensive elephant in the room -  an expensive contract of an aging player that we cannot shift. 

From a salary cap point of view he would not be a good signing for us. Sure, he might help make our offence awesome but it will leave us with many holes elsewhere. Our course our front office are people with families who are also worried about their job security. Putting the Packers in a potential hole like this is fire-able and potentially ruin their reputations. No NFL team would hire these guys as potential general managers if this is the sort of decision making they get.

At Oakland he would be the clear no.1 guy with no challengers to his throne. He has the chance to show he is worth the money being given to him and has a head coach with long term job security. Completely different dynamic.

I think Oakland hit this out of the park.  Given what they got for Cooper last year, this offseason couldn't have worked out any better for them so far.  They got a significant upgrade in draft capital and a season changing upgrade at WR.   Even the contract extension doesn't look all that bad when considering what they'd have had to pay Cooper.

When it comes to Green Bay, I'd have killed for that sort of compensation but the new contract would have been a deal breaker for me.  Only would have made sense for Green Bay on his old contract which would have been a huge discount given what Pitt's gonna have to pay.  I'm also not convinced he'd have worked in our offensive huddle.

Gruden got torched last year but this is a huge step in building a winner in Oakland.  

Edited by SSG

Boy oh boy have the once proud Steelers been played by some marquis players of late.  Antonio Brown put on a clinic in how to get a new locale and a nice boost in pay.  The Steelers also messed around with Leveon Bell instead of dealing him away when they could.  He screwed himself out of a years pay, but the Steelers missed out on a year of service from him and then failed to get trade compensation for him last year.  Maybe they will get a 3rd round comp pick when it's said and done?  

I actually would prefer Jordan Howard over Mark Ingram. Not only he's younger I think he would fit better in our ZBS.

I wonder if the Bears would ever entertain a trade with us?

On that note...has the Packers and Bears ever traded with each other in our history??

1 hour ago, Chili said:

I actually would prefer Jordan Howard over Mark Ingram. Not only he's younger I think he would fit better in our ZBS.

On that note...has the Packers and Bears ever traded with each other in our history??

Yes. Caffey, Pitts, and Hyland to Bears for second overall pick. Pack took McCoy with the pick.

2 hours ago, FinneasGage said:

bears trying to trade jordan howard. also in the mix to pay mark ingram. checks out

I’d like this move. Love Ingram much better than Williams no offense to Williams. Strong tough runner and lots of tread left. Can catch and block well. 

2 hours ago, Chili said:

Why do we need to spend on a RB?

• Like 1

I don’t think Ingram would cost much. The most I could see Ingram getting is like 3y-15m,  and something like 2/6 sounds more right.

I would take Ingram on a reasonable deal. It is obvious LaFluer wants to run more. Looking at our roster if we want to run more, we need another guy;

Jones is good, but I don’t think his body can take more than 15 touches. He also struggles in pass pro.

Williams is JAG (in 2 years averaged 3.8 ypc) who legitimately doesn’t do anything special other than play hard, block, and stay healthy. He’s a 3rd rb on most teams. Fan favorite, but shouldn’t be getting more than emergency carries.

RBs are the most replaceable position in football, but to get a nfl back, you still need to throw a couple picks or a high pick in if you want a good one. We hit on 1 and a half picks out of 3 in 2016. If we want a guy to ensure the position is locked down. Would  you rather drop a third, or sign Ingram on a reasonable deal? I think it’s an easy question.

Edited by pacman5252