NFL News & Notes

Leader

It’s a better alternative than the current onside format. Article I found around thanksgiving had an 8% conversion rate, at least this gives the “kicking” team a shot. I’m just not a fan of the 1x in the 4th quarter. If, as a coach, you have the balls to go for it in the first quarter and give the other team the ball on your own 35, more power to ya. What are you supposed to do when you’re down 14 with 4 minutes left? Go onside option, convert, score with 1:50 no timeouts and just kick it deep? That’s stupid 

I think the figure that aligned best with onside kick recovery rates and 4th down conversion rates  was about 4th and 22.  That would be an awkward number to put out there, but 4th and 20 is so much better than 4th and 15.

4th and 15 is way too easy.

Edited by skibrett15

2 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

I think the figure that aligned best with onside kick recovery rates and 4th down conversion rates  was about 4th and 22.  That would be an awkward number to put out there, but 4th and 20 is so much better than 4th and 15.

4th and 15 is way too easy.

When you take into account that the NFL prefers crazy comebacks and lots of scoring, 4th and 15 makes more sense. 

More importantly I wish they would make an adjustment to the DPI rule in this particular instance. If it occurs, make it a 5 yard spot foul with no automatic first down and replay the down. 

Just now, Outpost31 said:

Good thing it's not called football or anything.

Who ******* cares. Go watch "futball" if the name of the sport being just like the sport is so very important to you.

Kicking and punting sucks balls. Period. I don't want some failed soccer jerk off who's barely part of the team to decide my season. Shoot me.

22 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

When you take into account that the NFL prefers crazy comebacks and lots of scoring, 4th and 15 makes more sense. 

More importantly I wish they would make an adjustment to the DPI rule in this particular instance. If it occurs, make it a 5 yard spot foul with no automatic first down and replay the down. 

yeah screw that.

4th and 20 is already gonna be an increase in scoring vs onside kicks.  All they are doing is extending games with this nonsense.

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Better yet.......
You want to recreate the bedlam that used to be the onside kick?
Dont have any penalties outside hiking the ball / offsides and alike.
No holding. No PI. No illegal contact.

Hike......go get it guys! :)

52 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Jump ball then?

That's what I'd like to see.  Punter kicks it at the 45.  Has to go at least 10 yds but can be as high as possible.  Whoever gets the ball gets possession.  It'd be like playing 500 when you were kid and there are 22 of you trying to catch it (except for the punting part).

Edited by thrILL!
Bears still suck

this 4th and 15 is a WAAAAYYYYYYY more entertaining play than an onside kick.

I watch football to be entertained. This is a no-brainer good idea IMO. The only question is the specifics of the down, distance and starting position.

The math should be relatively straightforward to find out what combination would result in a similar success rate as the old onside kick.

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

this 4th and 15 is a WAAAAYYYYYYY more entertaining play than an onside kick.

I watch football to be entertained. This is a no-brainer good idea IMO. The only question is the specifics of the down, distance and starting position.

The math should be relatively straightforward to find out what combination would result in a similar success rate as the old onside kick.

Who's going to be the first coach to try it the first half of a game?