NFL News & Notes

Leader

8 hours ago, Leader said:

Battle of the Carolina's............

The South Carolina Senate has agreed to provide $120 million in tax breaks to the Carolina Panthers to move their practice fields and team headquarters out of North Carolina. The 27-15 vote Thursday came after contentious debate with several senators questioning whether public money should be given to a billionaire NFL owner and the $3.8 billion proposed economic benefit of the new facility is wildly exaggerated.

The bill would exempt the Panthers from paying state income taxes for players, coaches and other employees for 15 years as long as they use the money to build their new complex near Rock Hill. The team will continue to play games 15 miles (24 kilometers) north in Charlotte, North Carolina.

I mean, there are billionaires shivering in the food bank lines. Why wouldn't the government redistribute wealth to them?

27 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I mean, there are billionaires shivering in the food bank lines. Why wouldn't the government redistribute wealth to them?

The Charlotte NC based Panthers have a pretty sweet deal logistically. Bank of America Stadium is about 10-15mins from the airport. I'm not sure where their practice facilities are though and my read on the article is that building a new stadium isnt part of the discussions at this juncture - just new corporate HC and practice facilities. Rock Hill SC is 30-40 mins away from Charlotte.

Now maybe a large portion of the coaches/players live south of Charlotte - around Rock Hill and this would make life easier for them. But its just as possible a lot of the coaches/players live north of Charlotte - and moving things down south would be a drag. Don't know. Can't say.

Question regards the tax matters........

Based on previous discussions, it appears that a player is taxed based on the state / location he plays the games....is that right or wrong?

Well, if thats right - and the corporate HC is domiciled in SC - but the games are still played in NC - how would the SC state tax offer (The bill would exempt the Panthers from paying state income taxes for players, coaches and other employees for 15 years as long as they use the money to build their new complex near Rock Hill) apply?

Is there another example in the NFL of a team domiciled in one state - but playing their home games in another?

Edited by Leader

• 2 weeks later...

The first casualty....

ESPN: Washington Redskins linebacker Reuben Foster was carted off the field with a left leg injury during the team's first organized team activity period. The injury occurred on the third snap of the Redskins' first voluntary OTA session this spring.

NFL:

No more Oklahoma drills in TC or anywhere else.
In the ongoing efforts to reduce brain trauma, the Leagues owners voted to outlaw The Oklahoma Drill, a staple of NFL training for a half a century.
Not sure how many teams still use it, but now its verboten.

9 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

NFL:

No more Oklahoma drills in TC or anywhere else.
In the ongoing efforts to reduce brain trauma, the Leagues owners voted to outlaw The Oklahoma Drill, a staple of NFL training for a half a century.
Not sure how many teams still use it, but now its verboten.

Easy PR win. Even the teams that get their rocks off on hitting in camp were only doing it like one day each year as a mood setter early in training camp.

Cleveland Browns defensive end Myles Garrett believes the defense is in a good spot without Gerald McCoy, but that's not stopping the Browns from bringing McCoy in.  McCoy has told teams interested in his services that he will first visit the Cleveland Browns, NFL Network's Mike Garafolo and Ian Rapoport reported. Garofolo adds the Carolina Panthers and Cincinnati Bengals are interested in meeting with McCoy.

A federal appeals court has ruled that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are not entitled to damages from BP for the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill. At issue were the accounting practices the team used to argue that the 2010 spill caused the team's revenues to fall. The Bucs had sought $19.5 million in damages.

/////////////////

Does anybody know what connection the Bucs were alleging? 
Fewer tourists to Florida led to a decline in attendance / revenue?

On 20/05/2019 at 6:25 PM, Leader said:

The first casualty....

ESPN: Washington Redskins linebacker Reuben Foster was carted off the field with a left leg injury during the team's first organized team activity period. The injury occurred on the third snap of the Redskins' first voluntary OTA session this spring.

I told my mate (a 49ers fan) that I didn't like the look of Bosa's thighs at the combine. They looked too overdeveloped. I suggested to him (after seeing the combine), that Bosa might have some periodic hammy trouble, with thighs that huge, like Clay Matthews suffered quite often.

Now in OTAs, he pulls a hammy. I'll have some fun at his expense, when I speak to him tomorrow.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

6 hours ago, Leader said:

A federal appeals court has ruled that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are not entitled to damages from BP for the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill. At issue were the accounting practices the team used to argue that the 2010 spill caused the team's revenues to fall. The Bucs had sought $19.5 million in damages.

/////////////////

Does anybody know what connection the Bucs were alleging? 
Fewer tourists to Florida led to a decline in attendance / revenue?

I don't know.  Looking at maps of the spill, it looks like it hit Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and the Florida pan-handle the worst.  Even if it filled Tampa Bay, I still don't see how it would have any affect on an NFL team.  Maybe they lost revenue from a team sponsored cruise or something that had to be cancelled, but 19.5 million is pretty generous for something like that.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I don't know.  Looking at maps of the spill, it looks like it hit Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and the Florida pan-handle the worst.  Even if it filled Tampa Bay, I still don't see how it would have any affect on an NFL team.  Maybe they lost revenue from a team sponsored cruise or something that had to be cancelled, but 19.5 million is pretty generous for something like that.  

You're right. Regionally it doesnt make much sense - or a direct connection - except (and this is my take.....) people werent coming south cause the beaches, water (swimming and seafood) was suspect. Tarballs were washing up on local beaches. The Panhandle was getting covered black - but the local beaches weren't being spared.

The team was 10-6 in 2010 - which isnt the worst they've been. They were three games back of ATL in the NFCS - so that wasnt happening - but the 11-6 Saints and 10-6 Packers secured the wildcard slots. So they were in the running. Should have been a draw. I bet the hotel vacancy ratio's were high. 

Edited by Leader

2 hours ago, St Vince said:

Can't believe Guy and Newhouse are still getting jobs.

I would not count Guy and Newhouse in the same group. Heck Guy had a sack in this past superbowl. Had great size we just didn't wait for him to turn into a player. Very good against the run. I loved Pennel also that guy was huge just huge against the run but if I remember he started to get into trouble. There are quite a few TT picks on other teams and these were guys that contributed. Even Frank Zombo was still playing in KC up until last year. I think sometimes TT gets such a hard time for guys that we missed on but we left a few walk away also that could have been decent also.

Edited by PACKRULE